Author Topic: Top Ten Films of all Time!!  (Read 24688 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Top Ten Films of all Time!!
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 12:35:14 pm »

9.  The Lion in Winter. Starring: Peter O'Toole, Katharine Hepburn, and in his film debut Anthony Hopkins, Director: Anthony Harvey, Awards: 7 Academy Awards.  I love this film because the family was soooooo dysfunctional... like mine!  LOL

Good call Rayn,
How could I have forgotten this one!
One of my favorite lines form any movie!
Katherine Hepburn saying "They'll be pork in the trees by morning"!!!
What a great movie!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Dagi

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2007, 04:30:33 pm »
I'm so glad someone mentioned Harold and Maude!    ;D

Gary

Love it! Love love love it!

other movies I love:

Maurice

The Color Purple

One flew over the cuckoo's nest

A Fish named Wanda

Sommersturm (Summerstorm)

Beautiful Thing

Braveheart

Catch me if you can

American Beauty

The Door in the Floor

Der Schuh des Manitu

Jade Scorpion (Woody Allen)

Tristan and Isolde

I'm sure I forgot one or the other....

moremojo

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2007, 06:14:15 pm »
That's it!  I have GOT to see Harold and Maude!  What's it about?  NO! Don't tell me!

Susie 

Okay, then...it'll be a nice warm surprise!  ::)

Dagi

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2007, 06:21:58 am »
Warm ey?  Sounds interesting!  I hope you're not talking about what I think you're talking about!

Susie

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Seems Scott has quite a reputation here!

It´s a beautifully told lovestory about a very uncommun couple, it´s about growing up and listening to your heart, and about so much more...I´m sure you´ll love it!

Dagi

moremojo

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2007, 05:17:49 pm »
Warm ey?  Sounds interesting!  I hope you're not talking about what I think you're talking about!

Susie
There's a very brief clip from Harold and Maude on this Youtube compilation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FExqG6LdWHU

moremojo

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2007, 05:04:17 pm »
Just to add a bit more to your enticement, Susie--The young man, Harold, played by Bud Cort, comes from an extremely privileged, pampered background, but finds no meaning in his emotionally frigid world, and dwells on thoughts of death and suicide (thus the compulsive visits to strangers' funerals). He is a deliberate thorn to his staid, genteel mother (played superbly by Vivian Pickles), who does her best to ignore all her son's attempts to shock and frighten her. The old woman, Maude, played so memorably by veteran actress Ruth Gordon, is as much in love with life as Harold is with death. She opens his eyes onto different perspectives on the world and its people.

This may all sound quite grim, but the film is actually a charming comedy. There is a great musical soundtrack by Cat Stevens that captures all the gentle allure of the early Seventies counterculture of which this film became an emblem. The screenplay is by Colin Higgins, and the film was directed by Hal Ashby, one of the most interesting directors working in the brave new world that was American cinema in the 1970's. 

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2007, 03:09:37 pm »
Just to add a bit more to your enticement, Susie--The young man, Harold, played by Bud Cort, comes from an extremely privileged, pampered background, but finds no meaning in his emotionally frigid world, and dwells on thoughts of death and suicide (thus the compulsive visits to strangers' funerals). He is a deliberate thorn to his staid, genteel mother (played superbly by Vivian Pickles), who does her best to ignore all her son's attempts to shock and frighten her. The old woman, Maude, played so memorably by veteran actress Ruth Gordon, is as much in love with life as Harold is with death. She opens his eyes onto different perspectives on the world and its people.

This may all sound quite grim, but the film is actually a charming comedy. There is a great musical soundtrack by Cat Stevens that captures all the gentle allure of the early Seventies counterculture of which this film became an emblem. The screenplay is by Colin Higgins, and the film was directed by Hal Ashby, one of the most interesting directors working in the brave new world that was American cinema in the 1970's. 

Oh, yes..one of my favorites. "Harold and Maude" is a movie I enjoy watching in the same setting as "The Loved One" who can forget Miss Thanatogenis or Mr Joyboy?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2007, 02:03:00 am »
I'm definitely not saying that most of these are the best films ever made, just that I love watching them.

Brokeback Mountain
Lone Star
Parenthood
Desk Set
The Player
Grand Canyon
The Anniversary Party
Roxanne
Get Shorty
No Way Out
The Joy Luck Club
When Harry Met Sally
The Birdcage
Sneakers
The Firm
Ocean's Eleven (new one)
Heaven Can Wait
The Jungle Book (Disney animated version)
Far From Heaven
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
In and Out
The Good Girl
Orange County
Soapdish
Waitress
Bread and Tulips
The Straight Story
Crimes and Misdemeanors
The Red Violin
Lonesome Dove
An American in Paris
Gentleman's Agreement
Friends with Money
Best in Show
Moonstruck
My Dinner with Andre
Three Days of the Condor
Spy Game
Groundhog Day
To Catch a Thief
Working Girl
Spanglish
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2007, 02:15:21 am »
I just watched Seven Years In Tibet the other day. I haven't watched it in a long time. I had forgotten how much I love that movie.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2007, 10:16:37 am »
Oh Clarissa, I love so many of those films on your list, Parenthood, Moonstruck and Groundhog Days, to name but a few!!  We should definitely have a girly night together, with a box of chocolates, a bottle of wine and a bucket of popcorn!

Susie 

That sounds so fun, Susie!!! I love Romy and Michelle, Roxanne, When Harry Met Sally.......great list, Elle!! Let's have the movie night at Susie's house, so I can see Charlie  :) (and England) !!!   :P  
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~