Author Topic: Jack's Ramblings  (Read 828418 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack's Ramblings
« Reply #1420 on: January 25, 2009, 05:13:24 pm »
That's a good question, Jack.  I personally think that being gay goes deeper than sexuality.  I suspect it's more complicated than simply who we are attracted to.  I have noticed over the years that many gay people are different in a variety of ways.  I've even noticed a physical difference in some gay people.  Many look androgynous for example.  But these differences aren't fixed.  I guess it depends on the individual.   

I've not watched the film, but I hope to tonight.  When I do, I'll let you know of my impressions.  Thanks for telling me about it.

You're welcome Gary and I hope you do get to see it tonight. You may be right. I'm just not sure. I'm not sure about the depth.

Offline ZK

« Reply #1421 on: January 25, 2009, 06:35:36 pm »
Hey Jack

Sorry I haven't replied properly to your posts, just got my head in the clouds a wee bit. Any how I hope you decide to go to NYC and I will see you on the 13th!

Cheers Mate

Matt

injest

« Reply #1422 on: January 25, 2009, 07:35:27 pm »
I'm not completely sure, but one question would be: Are gay people different in more ways than just their sexual orientation? There seemed to be a bit of that theme in the movie. You know I have always been more on the side that having a different sexual orientation is just a trait such as having brown eyes or blue eyes. It's certainly a part of you that you cannot change, but how deep does it go? Does it mean that other traits are supposed to be different too?

I didnt' like when the mother was talking to the council and made the analogy that if God had let a child be born with no arms or legs would they go to hell. As if homosexuality is a birth defect or disability.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1423 on: January 31, 2009, 03:41:47 am »
Hi there, Jack.  I was able to catch tonight's airing of Prayers For Bobby.  Thanks for telling me about it.  It broke my heart when Bobby jumped from that bridge.  He was such a sweet young man.  The world needs more Bobbys, not fewer.

It was remarkable to see how his mother came around in the end.  I felt so sorry for her when she broke down in front of the MCC minister.  That scene reminded me of something Martin Luther King said.  Didn't he imply that racists should let go of their hatred of black people, and not just for the sake of blacks but also for themselves?  Bobby's mother's story shows that her refusal to accept Bobby while he was still alive was damaging for her as well as Bobby.  After he died it was too late.  She would have to live with the guilt for the rest of her life.

I appreciate what she said about how you can browbeat someone so relentlessly that you can break their spirit.  Most of us are strong enough to withstand one negative comment or slur, but if you have to face those things every day, even from the people that are supposed to love you, it can wear you down.  And it doesn't have to be overt.  You don't really have to say much to let someone know that you think less of them. 

The part that made me cry was when Bobby's mother went to the Gay Pride Parade and hugged that young man that resembled Bobby.  I think that's because I could readily relate to that.  For well over a year after my mother died, it was hard for me to be in the company of her three surviving sisters because they look so much like her.  Every time I saw them I would feel sad. 

I felt that way at my aunt's funeral when I saw one of her relatives that looked just like her.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1424 on: February 01, 2009, 12:02:44 am »
Hope you're having a good weekend, Jack.   :D

Hey Gary, thanks! Yes I think I am having a good weekend. I am just real tired from the week. How are you doing?

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1425 on: February 05, 2009, 01:11:34 am »
For those of you who remember 45 rpm records and playing them at parties or for yourself or whatever, the Crosley stack-o-matic is for you. I'm not trying to sell it. I just finally happened opened it after someone got it for me for Christmas last year. I had read the sound was not that great, but that is not true. If you want the true experience of stacking some 45's and listening to some old 45s it is for you or listening to any kind of vinyl. The sound is actually much better than what I remember the old record players used to play. It also has a tape player and yes even a CD player. It is cool!!! You probably won't make the house rattle with the volume, but that is part of the nostalgia which of course is in now anyway. It is definitely stereo. Believe me I have two stereo systems and another set of speakers on my computer that will take the whole neighborhood take notice  :) This is great for those times when you just want to hear something that makes you feel warm.

injest

« Reply #1426 on: February 05, 2009, 01:20:07 am »
For those of you who remember 45 rpm records and playing them at parties or for yourself or whatever, the Crosley stack-o-matic is for you. I'm not trying to sell it. I just finally happened opened it after someone got it for me for Christmas last year. I had read the sound was not that great, but that is not true. If you want the true experience of stacking some 45's and listening to some old 45s it is for you or listening to any kind of vinyl. The sound is actually much better than what I remember the old record players used to play. It also has a tape player and yes even a CD player. It is cool!!! You probably won't make the house rattle with the volume, but that is part of the nostalgia which of course is in now anyway. It is definitely stereo. Believe me I have two stereo systems and another set of speakers on my computer that will take the whole neighborhood take notice  :) This is great for those times when you just want to hear something that makes you feel warm.

no WAY!! does it hold the 45 and drop them down as the last one plays? I havent' seen one of those in FOREVER!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1427 on: February 05, 2009, 01:21:49 am »
Hey, what is the problem with Obama not wearing or requiring fancy suits and jackets at any of his events, even in the oval office? I think it is time to get rid of that. We have been heading in that direction for a long time so let's continue it. I applaud him for it. Those nun suits are a thing of the past!!! I was not a big fan of Obama and am still guarded, but damn let's relax and not judge by clothes!!! Take the damn suits/ties and throw them into yesteryear. We don't need that crap anymore. After all, think about what all the CEOs that have robbed us are wearing. Time for the penguin suits to go the hell away. We don't need them. Let's do something like save the damn country and not worry about what people are wearing. I would be happy to never see a suit or tie again.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1428 on: February 05, 2009, 01:24:34 am »
no WAY!! does it hold the 45 and drop them down as the last one plays? I havent' seen one of those in FOREVER!

Yes it does Jess. It is cool!!! You do have to put those adapters in the record, but then it plays them and drops them. Of course on 33s, LPs, it would just do it without the adapters. I love it. I don't know why it took me so long to open it. No setup required except plugging it in.

injest

« Reply #1429 on: February 05, 2009, 01:37:06 am »
Yes it does Jess. It is cool!!! You do have to put those adapters in the record, but then it plays them and drops them. Of course on 33s, LPs, it would just do it without the adapters. I love it. I don't know why it took me so long to open it. No setup required except plugging it in.

ok I am so jealous! playing 45s are not near as fun if you have to change them out every song! I still have hundreds of them.