Author Topic: What Did You Want to Be When You Were a Kid??  (Read 9633 times)

injest

What Did You Want to Be When You Were a Kid??
« on: September 23, 2007, 02:22:43 pm »
Remember back about the third or fourth grade....what was your big dream for your life??

Mine?

I wanted to be an astronaut!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(Me! the one that is afraid of the Merry Go Round!!)

Come on...lets have a little fun this afternoon...SHARE!!

injest

Re: What Did You Want to Be When You Were a Kid??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 02:25:32 pm »
We had a class project where we 'investigated' what it would be like to do our dream job. I wrote NASA and they sent me a whole packet full of information on the training and schooling of astronauts...including some GORGEOUS high quality pics from the Apollo missions...

injest

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:26:52 pm »
I know it is hard to believe but I made great grades in school...straight As most of the time. In advanced English and Math classes. I wasn't always stupid!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 02:32:33 pm »
THEN.

Veterinarian--I always "doctored" the farm animals or little abandoned wild animals that I'd find around the farm. I'm sure I should have followed that dream, but it's a hard, hard job. It's so much responsibility to have people's beloved pets' lives in your hands. I'd probably crack under the pressure!

Actress--I was always in the plays from elementary school to high school. It was fun, but it takes a lot more dedication than I had to make it in that business.

REALITY.

I teach Jr. High students and most days--I love it. It's tiring, but rewarding.

NOW.

I'd like to be a judge, lawyer, forensics, etc. Something in law. Seems interesting, but I don't want to go back to school, so it's just a thought!

Fun thread, Jess!  :)

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 02:45:04 pm »
I used to make my little brother play school with me, and I was the teacher!  :laugh: (Maybe that's what's wrong with him!  :P)

But for the longest time I was going to be a doctor - from probably 10 years old through sophomore year of college, when I switched from premed to physics.  I think it had something to do with my grandmother's death at the end of senior year.  (Her death was hastened by mixing two drugs that should not be mixed.)  It took awhile for me to process that and to decide I didn't want that kind of responsibility.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

injest

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 02:54:42 pm »
THEN.

Veterinarian--I always "doctored" the farm animals or little abandoned wild animals that I'd find around the farm. I'm sure I should have followed that dream, but it's a hard, hard job. It's so much responsibility to have people's beloved pets' lives in your hands. I'd probably crack under the pressure!

Actress--I was always in the plays from elementary school to high school. It was fun, but it takes a lot more dedication than I had to make it in that business.

REALITY.

I teach Jr. High students and most days--I love it. It's tiring, but rewarding.

NOW.

I'd like to be a judge, lawyer, forensics, etc. Something in law. Seems interesting, but I don't want to go back to school, so it's just a thought!

Fun thread, Jess!  :)

huh! I have always thought that being a bit of an actress would really help if you went into teaching....you have to be comfortable being the focus of attention..and willing to let your hair down now and again..an extrovert if you will...

sounds like you made a good match with your choices!

injest

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 02:56:48 pm »
I used to make my little brother play school with me, and I was the teacher!  :laugh: (Maybe that's what's wrong with him!  :P)

But for the longest time I was going to be a doctor - from probably 10 years old through sophomore year of college, when I switched from premed to physics.  I think it had something to do with my grandmother's death at the end of senior year.  (Her death was hastened by mixing two drugs that should not be mixed.)  It took awhile for me to process that and to decide I didn't want that kind of responsibility.

no I wouldnt' either. Could never forgive myself if I made a mistake... :P

plus, in spite of what we tell kids about the nurses just trying to keep them from getting sick, I couldn't hurt someone deliberately!  :(

I can't even give my mother her insulin shots!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 03:03:27 pm »
I used to dream of becoming a famous singer. I remember standing in front of a mirror with coke bottle in my hand pretending to be Eartha Kitt or Ethel Mermon. Now that I think about it, it's kind of embarrassing.  :laugh:

I also dreamed of singing on Broadway. Obviously it didn't work out. I was crushed in high school when the lead to "South Pacific" was given to Darren Mathias instead of me. I must admit he was very good. So I settled for sitting down in the pit and playing with the school orchestra instead.

After that I dreamed of becoming a famous violinist or cellist. I had a opportunity at one point to slip into the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra while I was playing with the Carmel Symphony Orchestra. The pay was terrible though, and I didn't pursue it. I guess I didn't want it bad enough after all.

Lynne, you are in physics? YIPES!!! I'm impressed! I remember my physics classes in high school. I was terrible in that subject.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 03:11:07 pm »
I don't have any idea what Lynne does.

I have trouble figuring out jobs where you don't make or sell something...I had a friend that works in Government over in Great Britian. He tried to explain what he did but I just never could understand it. He said he evaluated programs and made suggestions for distribution of funds....

huh?

So when he went in to work...what did he do? read computer screens? where did the information come from? It is all very confusing...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 03:17:13 pm »
...I can't even give my mother her insulin shots!

I can manage that stuff - I did get my EMT certification so the blood and gore don't bother me.  It's interesting that I didn't see any alternatives at 19 - like research?  ::)

I'm doing computer science right now, but my first 10 or so years of my career I worked in physics - we made infrared detectors for satellites.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."