Author Topic: Top Ten Songs of all Time!  (Read 14785 times)

Susiebell

Top Ten Songs of all Time!
« on: September 23, 2007, 08:01:04 pm »
So what are your favourite songs?  Is there any special reason why? 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:07:25 am by NoMore »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Top Ten Songs of all Time!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 08:25:14 pm »
AQUARIUS Fifth Dimension

MORE THAN A FEELING Boston

I WANT YOU BACK The Jackson Five (I remember hearing this song over and over again on the radio when I was 8 or 9 years old, and it always brings back a lot of memories when I hear it)

CANDY GIRL The Jackson Five (for the same reasons I just mentioned)

IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW Chicago

ROCKET MAN Elton John

YELLOW BRICK ROAD Elton John

SUSPICIOUS MINDS Elvis Presley

REMEMBER WHEN Alan Jackson

NOBODY'S HOME Clint Black

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:56:12 am »
Here's a couple more to add to my list of songs!  :D

SONG FOR THE LONELY  Cher

A DIFFERENT KIND OF LOVE SONG  Cher

PHILADELPHIA FREEDOM   Elton John

CANDLE IN THE WIND  Elton John

Susie, I noticed you mentioned "Staying Alive" from Saturday Night Fever. Remember "Disco Inferno"?  Burn baby burn!!  :)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:08:46 am »
I don't know about being the greatest songs ever but this is a random list of songs I love off the top of my head

Nights in White Satin and Tuesday Afternoon by The Moody Blues

Landslide by Fleetwood Mac

My Lover’s Gone by Dido

Hero by David Crosby

Separate Lives and In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins

All I Ask of You from Andrew Lloyd Webers Phantom

Sweet Baby James and On the Roof by James Taylor

Let It Be by Paul McCartney

Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones

The Highwayman by Lorena McKinnet

The House of the Rising Sun by the Animals

Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by the Police

With or Without You by U2

Fields of Gold and Fortess Around Your Heart by Sting

Pennylane, Blackbird and Paperback Writer by the Beatles

Pleasant Valley Sunday and Daydream Believer by the Monkees

I'm telling You Now and There's a Kind of Hush All Over the World by Hermans Hermits

To Sir with Love by LuLu
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 05:16:36 am »
Ok my faves songs of all time:

Two Hearts: Phil Collins
Sometimes when we Touch. Rod Stewarts version.
Woman. John Lennon.
Bohemian Rhapsody. Queen.
Whose Cryin Now. Journey.
Your The Voice. John Farnham
Roxanne. The Police.
Spirits in the material world. The Police.
It,s probably me. Sting.
All for Love. Bryan Adams, Sting and Rod Stewart.
Can,t stop this thing we started. Bryan Adams.
Street Life. Randy Crawford.
Evergreen. Barbara Striesand.
Killing me softly. Roberta Flack.
Another day in paradise. Phil Collins.
Easy Lover. Phil Collins and Philip Bailey.
Big Log. Robert Plant.
Mama. Genesis.
Two Tribes. Frankie goes to Hollywood.
I,m still standing. Elton John.
Blue Eyes. Elton John.
Babe. Styx.
Dont fear the reaper. Blue Oyster Cult.
Earth Song. Michael Jackson.
Don,t stop till you get enough. Michael Jackson.
Thriller. Michael Jackson.
Rock with You. Michael Jackson.
Can you feel it. The Jackson 5.
Blame it on the boogie. Jackson 5.

There,s loads more but thats it for now.

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 06:46:19 am »
That's really tough, because my iPod has 770 of my favorite songs! But here's 10 of them....

Top ten songs
1. Shadows - Gordon Lightfoot
2. Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
3. Hunting High and Low - Aha
4. The Valley - Jane Siberry
5. Street Spirit - Radiohead
6, A case of you - Joni Mitchell
7. On Every Street - Dire Straits
8. See the lights - Simple Minds
9. Chasing cars - Snow Patrol
10. Mr. Writer - Stereophonics

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:55:58 am »
I don't know if I could come up with a list of the very best ten songs (I love too many of them), but what follows are ten of my favorites, listed in the order in which they came to mind:

Only the Young by Journey. My favorite Journey song (an unfairly underrated band, in my opinion, from a critical viewpoint), this beautiful song captures feelings of adolescent longing and aspiration so poignantly.

Someone Saved My Life Tonight by Elton John. Probably my favorite of the many Elton John songs I love. A song about suicidal ideation, and the little miracles that can compel us to hang on for a while longer, with gratitude and hope.

Mainstreet by Bob Seger. I love Bob Seger, love the gritty melancholy of his soul-stirring music, and this is probably the most melancholy of them all. One of the handful of songs that has brought me to tears.

Melissa by the Allman Brothers Band. Sweet, classic Southern rock at its best. Beautiful and gently sad, I was thrilled when I heard this song come up the first time I saw Brokeback Mountain.

Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. Hauntingly lyrical and deeply personal reflections from the one and only Stevie Nicks.

Going to California by Led Zeppelin. A blissfully mellow, soft offering from the classic granddaddy of heavy metal bands. Would make anyone want to go to California.

Shiver Me Timbers by Tom Waits, covered by Bette Midler. I've only ever heard Miss Bette's version, and I love it. Another sad one, gentle and wistful (are you seeing a pattern here?).

We Live for Love by Pat Benatar. My favorite Benatar song, ecstatic and yearning in flavor. The kind of music that makes you glad to be alive, to have a heart.

Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush, covered by Hayley Westenra. Whoa, this is one great song! I admit (with some embarrassment) that I've only heard Westenra's version, but she sounds so much like Kate, and the song is thrilling to hear.

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen. My favorite Springsteen number, has some of the same gritty, soul-stirring quality of Seger at his best.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:05:11 pm by moremojo »

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 12:29:46 pm »
It,s a kind of magic.     Queen
Break Out.                  Swing out sister
Rat Trap.                   Boomtown Rats
Make beleive it,s your first time.      Carpenters
Give me the night.                     George Benson
Baby I,m a want you.     Bread
IF.                           Bread
Make it with you.         Bread
Something about the way you look tonight.     Elton John

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 01:02:03 pm »

Melissa by the Allman Brothers Band. Sweet, classic Southern rock at its best. Beautiful and gently sad, I was thrilled when I heard this song come up the first time I saw Brokeback Mountain.

Landslide by Fleetwood Mac. Hauntingly lyrical and deeply personal reflections from the one and only Stevie Nicks.

Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush, covered by Hayley Westenra. Whoa, this is one great song! I admit (with some embarrassment) that I've only heard Westenra's version, but she sounds so much like Kate, and the song is thrilling to hear.

I love Melissa, because my name is Melissa and it's used in BBM! It's a sad song, but it always makes me smile...

Landslide is one of the best songs ever! I love the version by the Dixie Chicks!

Aaaaah Kate Bush, her Wuthering Heights is beautiful!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 09:08:13 pm »
Seems to me most folks are tied to their time and place in determining their favourite songs, and to a great extent, I too am fixated on the sixties and early 70's in my top choices, but I intent to break out & offer some other gems ..

My top 10

1- The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel 1968: The prequel to Bridge Over Troubled Water, preceeding it by 2 years is an orgasmic wonder. Who cares about the words - the feel from this song transends all.

2- Morning Has Broken - Cat Stevens 1972 Love love love the feel good effect of this song - not his composition, as are most of his recordings

3- Can't Help Falling in Love - Elvis Presley 1960 I'm not an Elvis fan (though I do like a number of his songs) and this one's a rip off of a great french tune "Plaisir d'amour" - Love Elvis's song better though.

4- Vincent - Don McLean 1972 - Yea most a my favourites are ballads

5- If You Could Read my Mind - Gordon Lightfoot 1970 Did you think I'd get through this list without SOME canadian content?

6- J't'aime tout court - Nicola Ciccone 2004 bar none, the best new song I've heard in the past 25 years

7- Annie's Song - John Denver 1974 his best, but I could listen to dozens of his songs and not get tired of his work.

8- La langue de chez nous - Yves Duteil 1985 An ode to the resilience and survival and blossoming reality of the french language and culture in North America - by a European

9- Anna - Arthur Alexander 1962 The Beatles version is two dimentional in comparison

10- Imagine - John Lennon 1971 No explanation there - I just love this gem

Now, a few rock & roll recordings that deserve honorable mentions. These songs get to me. They make me want to crank up the volume real loud *(I hardly ever do that, of course.)

Crazy on You - Heart 1976

Born to Run - Bruce Sprinsteen 1975

Born to Be Wild - Steppenwolf 1968

Macho Man - Village People 1978

OK - now let's get beyond the rock era - pre 1956 music was pretty good too

Here are a bunch a my favourites from before my time:

You're Just in Love - Perry Como 1951
Cheek to Cheek - Fred Astaire 1935 (these two happen to both be from the best tunesmith ever - Irving Berlin)
(Somewhere) Over the Rainbow - Judy Garland 1939 (Yea - I'm gay too)
Enjoy Yourself - Guy Lombardo 1950 (another Canadian)
Gimme a Little Kiss - Whispering Jack Smith 1926 (sensual - and from the 20's!)
When You Wish Upon a Star - Cliff Edwards 1940 (Jiminy Cricket himself)
Ten Cents a Dance - Ruth Etting 1930 (She captured the hopelessness of the depression like no other)
That's my Weakness Now - Helen Kane 1928 (The Betty Boop girl herself)
Across the Wide Missouri - Hugo Winterhalter 1951 (not his biggest, but I really like this one)
Song of the Volga Boatman - Glenn Miller 1941 (I dare you to stand still while listening to this incredible recording)

Want more? - Yea - that's too much already ain't it?...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 09:36:12 pm by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 09:13:59 pm »
I am surprised you took this long...I expected you on page 1!!

;)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 10:07:07 pm »
I can't do 10 right now.

Addicted to Love -- Robert Palmer

Open Arms -- Journey

American Pie -- Don McLean

Suspicious Minds -- Elvis Presley

Rocky Mountain High -- John Denver
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:12:09 pm »
Here's another one to add to my list!  :D

SMALL TOWN John Mellencamp

Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Probly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities...

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 01:56:52 am »
You can add this to my list

Daniel & Your Song & Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me by Elton John

Father and Son & Tea for the Tillerman by Cat Stevens

Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft

Reason to Believe by Rod Stewart

Stuck in the Middle with You by Stealers Wheel

Sail Away &  Poems Prayers and Promises
by John Denver

Longer by Dan Fogelberg

You Are So Beautiful by Joe Cocker

Vincent by Don McClean

Baby I love Your Way
by Peter Frampton

Dust in the Wind  & Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas

Breakfast in America by Supertramp

Devil Inside by INXS

Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers

Baby Come Back by Player

Your Wildest Dreams by The Moody Blues

It's a Beautiful Life by Kenny Rogers

From a Distance & I Think It's Going To Rain Today by Bette Midler

Desperado & Witchy Woman & Peaceful Easy Feeling by The Eagles

I Will Remember You & Angel by Sara MacLachain

Here With Me & All You Want by Dido

Brothers in Arms & Money for Nothin & Your Latest Trick by Dire Straits

I'm sure there will be more to come  ::)

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 02:19:15 am »

Dust in the Wind  & Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas

I had a HUGE crush on this certain guy in high school. His name was Kenny. Well, come to find out, he had a crush on me too! So, one weekend we went camping.... in his backyard!  :laugh:  Big time camping, huh? Anyhow, we did it that night inside the tent and Carry On My Wayward Son was playing on the little portable radio we brought out to the tent with us. Now, every time I hear that song, I think of Kenny.

Those are some REALLY good memories! God, he was cute!  :D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 02:32:58 am »
 ::) 8) :D  I'm going to take a little bit of a different approach to this, since no one seems to be able to stick with just 10 in any case!  :D 8) ::)

Here are songs that are 'faves' in that they relate to different periods of my life...

Eight Days A Week, Beatles - the first 45 I 'sang along to'.  My babysitter left it at my house and I thought the band's name was embarassing so I didn't admit I liked it to anyone.  It was years later before I realized I had excellent taste early on! ::) 8)

Mountain Music, Alabama - my first concert in Fort Payne, AL at 14.

Daniel, Elton John - my first rock concert at the Murphy Center, Murfreesboro, TN at 15.

Metal Health album, Quiet Riot - sophomore and junior years in high school, esp Cum On Feel the Noize - (way more embarassing to admit!  Prince, Twisted Sister, and Morris Day and the Time go here too.)

Desperado, Eagles - the first boy I loved

The Memory of Trees, Enya - the man I loved and married

Paint It Black, Rolling Stones - the wedding band  :D (seriously, they were a Stones cover-band essentially, though they scrounged up some Clapton also, whom I refuse to list!)

Sweet Baby Jane, James Taylor - my dear friend, Vanessa, now gone on to a plain where I hope she's no longer grieving

...along about now there's this whole period of Grateful Dead, Phish, Widespread Panic, Allman Brothers, Dave Matthews, Marshall Tucker that's a complete blur... ::)

Paint By Numbers, James McMurtry - the singer-songwriter years

A Love That Will Never Grow Old, Gustavo Santaolalla

And for good measure, I'll bracket this on both sides by the old time country, gospel, blues, and jazz - too numerous to mention - that were my lullabies and have been ever-present sustainment thru the fads.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 12:15:41 am »
I'm dividing up my list into 10 ballads and 10 uptempo songs.

Les ballades:

1. Down To You by Joni Mitchell.  It's impossible for me to choose one favorite Joni Mitchell song.  This one captured something about adulthood that I didn't grasp at 19 when I first heard it, but understand better now.

2. There Will Always Be A You by Donna Summer.  I love a lot of the Bad Girls album, but this ballad always reminded me of my mother.

3. Vincent by Don McLean.  I'm so drawn to songs that are melancholic and beautiful at the same time, and I love how he tells this story about the artist's dilemma.

4.  How Will You Go by Crowded House.  Neil Finn is an amazing songwriter and this song got me through a few breakups.

5.  Rain Rain Go Away by Vince Guaraldi.  I love Linus and Lucy, the fun song from Charlie Brown that everyone knows.  But this moody piano solo is great in the right mood.

6. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face/The Ballad of The Sad Young Man by Roberta Flack. Two haunting ballads from Roberta Flack's first album, and each with a very different mood.

7. Keep On Loving You by REO Speedwagon.  This song reminds me of high school, the good, the bad and the now repressed.

8. On My Own by Frances Ruffelle, from Les Miserables.  One of the first musicals I saw and for me the quiet highlight of the show.

9.  Love Is A Losing Game by Amy Winehouse.  This song is seriously like a lost Motown classic, even though she wrote it last year.  All the pieces of it work so perfectly together.

10.  So It Shall Be by k.d. lang.  She's got an amazing, versatile voice, and who can't love a song about obssessive love.

The Dance Tunes

1. Kiss by Prince.  I'm a major Prince fanatic, and could've pulled out any number of obscure tracks, but really, all I have to hear is the guitar and "UNHHH!" opening and I want to be spinning around on Cuban heels.

2.  Fantasy (Def Club Mix) by Mariah Carey.  Amazing vocals, great club remix and still manages to mix in the Genius of Love sample from the original version.

3.  Good Times by Chic.  I'm a sucker for songs with distinctive openings, and this is the perfect summer song with the perfect opening.

4.  Gold Digger by Kanye West.  OK, lyrically not very PC, but I love Jamie Foxx doing a Ray Charles sample and the Git-down-girl-go-head-git-down chorus.

5.  Hey Ya by OutKast.  I will never get tired of shaking it like a Polaroid picture.

6. Girls On Film by Duran Duran.  One of my favorite songs from the New Wave era.  I so wanted to be part of that band and be a Boy on Film with the drummer.

7.  Rehab by Amy Winehouse.  Aside from being irresistibly catchy and soulful, the music is so intricate.  I could find something different in the playing every time I hear it.

8.  Like A Prayer (Club Mix) by Madonna.  This is a more obscure remix with a hard, almost hip hop beat and samples her going Ohmigod, it's hot.

9.  Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' by Michael Jackson. For me his last great song before going completely cuckoo, one club in NYC plays this on Friday nights and it's a blast.

10. Ojos Asi by Shakira.  Bully for her that she's crossed over, but there was a time when she wrote good songs that had nothing to do with her belly dancing.  This one incorporates her Arabic heritage as well, it's hot.

I could do lists for any ole category, songs from movies, songs for mixtapes, 10 favorite cover songs....but this'll do for now.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 02:43:00 am »
I had a HUGE crush on this certain guy in high school. His name was Kenny. Well, come to find out, he had a crush on me too! So, one weekend we went camping.... in his backyard!  laugh  Big time camping, huh? Anyhow, we did it that night inside the tent and Carry On My Wayward Son was playing on the little portable radio we brought out to the tent with us. Now, every time I hear that song, I think of Kenny.

Those are some REALLY good memories! God, he was cute!  Cheesy

Wow, whatta sexy story, David!!    8)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 04:13:30 am »
Wow, whatta sexy story, David!!    8)

Kenny was gorgeous Laura. Dark and handsome. He played the string bass in my high school orchestra. He was on the wrestling team and the football team too. A total hunk.

And then there was Ron. Ron from Rotterdam. He was an exchange student. But that's a different story!  8)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 04:26:20 am »
Let's Hear It For the Boy Deniece Williams

Can't help it. I love that song!!  :D

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 06:08:20 am »
This is Celine Dion,s version of John Lennons,"Happy Christmas war is over". This is much better, imo.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 12:27:17 pm »
Another Celine Dion. Still brings me out in goosebumps every time I hear it.

moremojo

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 04:43:03 pm »
Here's the video to my favorite Celine song. Like a ray of sunshine everytime I hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aETZqx2QpQM

moremojo

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 05:02:03 pm »
Searching for Youtube gems is fun! I love Shania Twain, and this is one of her best numbers. I defy anyone to manage to stay still while listening to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kv47m-tOUE

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 10:05:36 pm »
Ah gorgeous song Juan!  Thanks for reminding me of this little gem!  It
was used in PLAY MISTY FOR ME wasn't it? ... a rather disturbing film!

Susie
I know right?  Such a tender song in such a gritty film.  There are several remakes by singers like George Michael, Johnny Cash and Alison Moyet that are really good too.
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 09:37:52 pm »
1. The Lion Sleeps Tonight. (Various)

2. The First Time ever I Saw Your Face. (A. Frankin)

3. Stayin' Alive (BeeGees)

4. Thunderstruck (AC/DC)

5. Wayfaring Stranger (Bill Monroe)

6. Skidoo (Stockton's Wing)

7. Angel from Montgomery (Harris/Prine)

8. Goodbye (Emmylou Harris)

9. You Gotta Walk that Lonesome Valley (Carter Family)

10. I Will Survive (I'm partial to Cake's version)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 10:18:23 pm »

My high school's basketball team mascot was the LION. Any time we'd lose to our main RIVAL, they'd request that tune be played for us on the radio the next day!!!!!! We'd get sooooo mad! LOL
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 12:10:36 am »

My high school's basketball team mascot was the LION. Any time we'd lose to our main RIVAL, they'd request that tune be played for us on the radio the next day!!!!!! We'd get sooooo mad! LOL

My high school's mascot was a bear. But we didn't have any bear songs. We had a school song, but I can't remember how it goes. Our school colors were burgandy and grey.  :)

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 06:12:53 am »
I think this song is perfect for Jack and Ennis, in Leslies: "ALBFS" and "TTVOT". It always makes me think of them two when I hear this song.

&mode=related&search=

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 12:37:04 pm »
Great song Shakestheground!!  I never did understand it though.... "Wee ooh wee ooh ooh wee ooh wee oooooooh wee um on ma waaaaaaaay!  A wimba way a wimba way a wimba way ...."

Susie

The song actually is a traditional song of the a native group in South Africa, it got recorded in the 1930s and of course the singer, Soloman Linda, never got a dime for it.

You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_Sleeps_Tonight

I think even Pete Segar feels bad about it now.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 01:41:31 am »
Difficult one for me... there are so many good ones... Hmmm.

There is a Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths.

[youtube=300,200]INgXzChwipY[/youtube]

The Winner Takes All by ABBA.

[youtube=300,200]xK3mVxGfzPY[/youtube]

I Have A Dream by ABBA.

[youtube=300,200]JVB8iJG1nSc[/youtube]

Evanescence, the Gregorian version, by Masters of Chant. (Originally by Evanescence).

[youtube=300,200]TAk-N7hkNSE[/youtube]

The Sound of Silence, the Gregorian version, by Masters of Chant. (Originally by Simon and Garfunkel) (actually I would really appreciate an overlapping of both this version and the original one... sometimes the lyrics are lost in the ambience in the Gregorian version.)

[youtube=300,200]dySZpw4JJC4[/youtube]

Scarborough Faire, the Gregorian version, by Masters of Chant. (Originally by Simon and Garfunkel).

[youtube=300,200]r7jtvK1iSvw[/youtube]

Beneath a Phrygian Sky, by Loreena McKennitt.

[youtube=300,200]siXe7bKt1q0[/youtube]

Never Ending Road, by Loreena McKennitt.

[youtube=300,200]VV3H3t6XsxU[/youtube]

Top of the World, by The Carpenters.

[youtube=300,200]mq5pLi0huhw[/youtube]
Sorry, I could only find a Karaoke version.

Queen of the Night by Mozart.

[youtube=300,200]P3JHcZsiM1g[/youtube]
This was made a little more famous by the film Amadeus, in which the singer June Anderson sings it a half step above the original.

Tell Me Why by Declan Galbraith

[youtube=300,200]nzLZ32kZT5M[/youtube]
Declan Galbraith is 11 at the time of this recording.

[youtube=425,350]G5NZI8NmBLA[/youtube]

- Just a cute little Carpenters number that fits the board. :)

EDIT: Knew I shouldn't have gotten in on this board... Add to this list anything by Angelis, several pieces by Bach including Air on a G String. just about everything by Libera.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:38:54 pm by Daniel »
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

moremojo

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 10:09:50 am »
I just LOVE these songs by Simon and Garfunkel!! I've never heard the Gregorian versions though ... I'll have to see if I can find them on Youtube .. you've got me intrigued now!

Susie
I'm fond of Marianne Faithfull's rendition of Scarborough Fair as well. Faithfull's entire LP 'Broken English' would merit inclusion on a top favorites list of mine.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »
I inserted videotubes for anyone who wants to hear those....

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007, 04:04:16 pm »
Scarborough Fair

I love this song!
My Scottish Great Grandmother used to sing this to all of us when we were wee lads and lassies as she would say.
That and going to the rye. (I think thats the name of the song)
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 04:41:22 pm »
I love the subtext (the interwoven Canticle) that is included in both S&G's and Gregorian's.

Are you going to scarborough fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
Remember me to one who lives there.
She once was a true love of mine.

Tell her to make me a cambric shirt,
     A hill in the deep forest green
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme;
     tracing of sparrow on snow-crested brown
Without no seams nor needle work,
     blankets and bedclothes - the child of the mountain
Then she'll be a true love of mine.
     sleeps unaware of the clarion call

Tell her to find me an acre of land,
     on the side of a hill a sprinkling of leaves
     washes the grave with her silvery tears
Between the salt water and the sea strand,
     a soldier cleans and polishes a gun

Tell her to reap it with a sickle of leather,
     war bellows blazing in scarlet battalions
     generals order their soldiers to kill
And gather it all in a bunch of heather,
     and to fight for a cause they have long ago forgotten

Are you going to Scarborough fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
Remember me to one who lives there.
She once was a true love of mine.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007, 05:02:35 pm »
I love this song!
My Scottish Great Grandmother used to sing this to all of us when we were wee lads and lassies as she would say.
That and going to the rye. (I think thats the name of the song)

I think you mean "Comin' thro' the rye". :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 07:05:24 pm »
Here are some of mine, from my "Now Playing" thread:

An American Tune, by Paul Simon
And So it Goes, by Billy Joel, video tribute to Kurt Vonnegut
Drowned, by Pete Townsend
Hello in There, by John Prine
Leaving on a Jet Plane, by John Denver, performed by John Denver & Mama Cass Elliot
Mad World, by Michael Andrews, sung by Gary Jules
Moon River, by Henry Mancini, performed by Audrey Hepburn
Mr. Tambourine Man, by Bob Dylan
Ne Me Quitte Pas, English version performed by Dusty Springfield
Thank U, by Alanis Morissette
The Babysitter's Here, by Dar Williams
The Moldau, by Smetana, performed by a Czech street band
Tom's Diner, by Suzanne Vega
Unconditional, by Kristy Karen Smith
While My Guitar Gently Weeps, a simple acoustic version by George Harrison, and one on ukelele by Jake Shimabukuro

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 09:53:15 pm »
I'm putting this up for a friend of mine, and for anyone else who wants to hear it. Paul Schwartz arrangement of Caccini's Ave Maria

[youtube=300,200]9zQKMST_OV8[/youtube]

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2007, 09:13:38 pm »
I will have to join in on this one although I need to think of my choices  :)