Author Topic: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Speaks at Columbia University. Good Idea?  (Read 13911 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Speaks at Columbia University. Good Idea?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »
but Obama says he will have meetings himself. NOT Sec of State (which I really don't mind at all) but for all his faults, Kissinger knows his stuff and he says that meeting with the President gives a sense of legitimacy to the other person's cause..

I dont like the idea of helping Ahmadinejad

I don't remember hearing him say that Jess. I remember hearing him say he would be willing to talk with some of our enemies - "he" meaning his administration. At least that is the way I interpreted it.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2008, 12:02:55 am »
I don't remember hearing him say that Jess. I remember hearing him say he would be willing to talk with some of our enemies - "he" meaning his administration. At least that is the way I interpreted it.

there was a big thing a few weeks ago when he was saying that Kissinger agreed with him about the meetings but then Kissinger came out and said NO, he did not agree, that he thinks the President should only meet with certain people....OTHER people could only meet with people in lower positions.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 12:08:48 am »
there was a big thing a few weeks ago when he was saying that Kissinger agreed with him about the meetings but then Kissinger came out and said NO, he did not agree, that he thinks the President should only meet with certain people....OTHER people could only meet with people in lower positions.

:-\ :-\

I never heard about that before. Where have I been?

In any event I highly doubt Senator or rather in this case President Obama would invite President Ahmadinejad to the White House. That would go over like a fart in church in this country and I'm quite sure he would know better than to pull a stunt like that Jess.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 12:10:47 am »
Diplomacy doesn''t mean appeasement.  It's helpful to talk to people first hand to find out what they want instead of having experts try to guess what they want.  Knowing what they want doesn't mean they'll necessarily get it, or we'll want to give it to them.  The point of diplomacy is to know your adversary.

If something can be worked out that's fine.  But it's not always possible.  But people usually come away knowing better what they're up against.

Exactly Clyde! :D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 07:33:51 pm »
Is he now a member?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 07:35:09 pm »
Is he in the USA to-day?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male