Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera  (Read 44778 times)

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Brokeback Mountain - The Opera
« on: September 26, 2007, 07:23:56 pm »
"Brokeback Mountain" writer Annie Proulx has given the go-ahead to an opera based on her story about the two gay cowboys.

Source: http://www.bgay.com/bnews/news70925_brokeback_mountain_the_opera.htm
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:04:53 pm by Elle »
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

moremojo

Re: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera (NO WAY!)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 07:32:22 pm »
That's pretty amazing! A musical would be hard enough to pull off, but an opera would be even more challenging. I've not heard of the composer before. I wonder who will serve as librettist--Ennis will be a very difficult character to convey through musical drama, and I imagine the creators here will be compelled to make him more vocally expressive.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 07:53:46 pm »
Welll, there is usually quite a bid of tradegy in operas.  Certainly, BBM has that aspect.  A western as opera has been done before.  I saw THE BALLAD OF BABY DOE, quite good. 

I wonder if they will expand or add on certain aspects and what scenes that might be left out.  Jack's confrontation with his father-in-law at Thanksgiving, how would you do that.  Obviously operas are a very different art form in comparison with films. IT shall be interesting, to say the least.   I hope it can be as good as the movie.

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:46:09 am »
An operatic trivia question: Can anyone name the opera featuring the form's first openly gay male character and its composer? Bonus points for naming the character and the singer who created the role!  :D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:56:39 am »
An operatic trivia question: Can anyone name the opera featuring the form's first openly gay male character and its composer? Bonus points for naming the character and the singer who created the role!  :D

I'm guessing "Death in Venice" by Benjamin Britten, starring Peter Pears as Aschenbach (though I wouldn't describe him as openly gay).  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 01:20:33 am »
I believe opera will be a very interesting medium for BBM, though I am having some trouble picturing it; I agree Moremojo - portraying Ennis' character will be especially challenging. Perhaps the operatic format will offer deeper insight into what he is thinking/feeling, offered as asides. Or, his character will have some extremely short pieces! :D How will they translate all those 'hunhs' ?

And, I'm willing to bet Meryl, our resident opera-expert, just nailed your trivia question!
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:00:42 am »
Jos Van Kan was the director of the Dutch play Brokeback Mountain, which we Eurobrokies (and our Eurobrokie H.C., Leslie) saw together back in March. He wanted to make an opera about BBM.
I wonder whether Jos van Kan has something to do with this, or if someone else had the same idea and this is a totally different project?

I believe opera will be a very interesting medium for BBM, though I am having some trouble picturing it; I agree Moremojo - portraying Ennis' character will be especially challenging. Perhaps the operatic format will offer deeper insight into what he is thinking/feeling, offered as asides. Or, his character will have some extremely short pieces! :D How will they translate all those 'hunhs' ?

All those 'hunhs' of Ennis are in the movie, not in the story. My guess is that this opera will be based on the story, not the movie - just as the play was. After all, the story is the original work. The movie is one possible interpretation of it; the play was another one and an opera would provide a third one.

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 02:48:48 am »
I'm guessing "Death in Venice" by Benjamin Britten, starring Peter Pears as Aschenbach (though I wouldn't describe him as openly gay).  :)
That's a good guess, Meryl, but it is actually The Knot Garden, composed by Michael Tippett (1905-1998) to his own libretto, and which premiered at London's Covent Garden on December 2, 1970. The character is Dov, and tenor Robert Tear created the role. As Dov's lover Mel (created by Thomas Carey) is also a character in the opera, one could argue that this opera introduced two more-or-less openly gay male characters to the genre, but Dov is always the one cited in this context.

Tippett later organized some of Dov's arias into a separate work called Songs for Dov.

Incidentally, Death in Venice premiered at Snape Maltings on June 16, 1973.

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 03:52:03 am »
Jos Van Kan was the director of the Dutch play Brokeback Mountain, which we Eurobrokies (and our Eurobrokie H.C., Leslie) saw together back in March. He wanted to make an opera about BBM.
I wonder whether Jos van Kan has something to do with this, or if someone else had the same idea and this is a totally different project?

I wonder this too. It would be very exciting, but I think he wanted to do this in London, if I remember correctly. He still has the stage rights so he can do with it what he wants, at least that's what the actors said! Can't believe that was already half a year ago!!!

:D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 04:15:11 am »
I wonder this too. It would be very exciting, but I think he wanted to do this in London, if I remember correctly. He still has the stage rights so he can do with it what he wants, at least that's what the actors said! Can't believe that was already half a year ago!!!

:D

I'm STILL thinking about that washrag.  :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 06:27:52 am »
I'm STILL thinking about that washrag.  :-\

Do you mean this one?

;D

For the people who weren't on BM yet when we went to the play here's some pics. There was singing in this one too!

The actors on stage:

Another one of the guys who played Jack and Ennis. Left Jack, right Ennis.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:45:56 am »
I posted this on my blog yesterday. Just for fun....

(the photo is from Afterelton.com)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 06:52:50 am »
Do you mean this one?

Sweet memories....  :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 07:07:15 am »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

mvansand76

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 07:39:05 am »
Yes, really.

L

Oh I love that! Thanks for posting it again! Yeah!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 08:06:28 am »

Can't see why an opera of Brokeback Mountain shouldn't work. After all, there's already been a ballet version - the Matthew Bourne (gay) interpretation of Swan Lake. Sure, Jack and Ennis are not named as such, but it is a love story about two tragic, star-crossed gay lover. And as an added bonus, the story is set to Tchaikovsky's original, breathtakingly beautiful musical score. The Matthew Bourne production of Swan Lake was touring in Australia earlier this year and I saw it here in Sydney. To say it was sublime would be an understatement. It certainly had me in tears at the end. If it ever tours anywhere near you (they're London based), be sure to see it.  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 03:32:34 pm »
Apparently the composer, Charles Wuorinen, is a a strict adherent of the atonal Schönberg school, which scares a lot of people. 
I think a BbM opera is pretty exciting!  I'm not familiar with the talent out there, who should sing the leads?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 05:48:43 pm by oilgun »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 03:47:23 pm »
Can't see why an opera of Brokeback Mountain shouldn't work. After all, there's already been a ballet version - the Matthew Bourne (gay) interpretation of Swan Lake. Sure, Jack and Ennis are not named as such, but it is a love story about two tragic, star-crossed gay lover. And as an added bonus, the story is set to Tchaikovsky's original, breathtakingly beautiful musical score. The Matthew Bourne production of Swan Lake was touring in Australia earlier this year and I saw it here in Sydney. To say it was sublime would be an understatement. It certainly had me in tears at the end. If it ever tours anywhere near you (they're London based), be sure to see it.  :D

I missed this when it played in Denver last holiday season, but I did see Edward Scizzorhands by Matthew Bourne.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 03:51:06 pm »
Apparently the composer, Charles Wuorinen, is a a strict adherent of the atonal Schönberg school, which scares a lot of people. 
I think a BbM opera is pretty exciting?  I'm not familiar with the talent out there, who should sing the leads?

There are rumors...unconfirmed and unsubstantiated...that Hugh Jackman and James Marsden are being considered.

moremojo

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 04:30:52 pm »
There are rumors...unconfirmed and unsubstantiated...that Hugh Jackman and James Marsden are being considered.
I thought these were the names being floated for the proposed musical...I don't think either of these gentlemen would have the requisite piping ( ::)) for opera.

moremojo

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 11:43:32 am »
The modernist twelve-tone serialist tradition to which Wuorinen belongs actually seems like it could be quite appropriate for such a spare, austere, and even bleak story. I doubt the soundtrack will ever take off and enter people's hearts like Gustavo's for the film, but approached strictly within the context of the staged work, the score might prove quite fitting.

It also occurs to me, considering the atonal tradition founded by Schoenberg, that some of the characters may express themselves in Sprechgesang rather than lyrically. I could easily imagine the character of Ennis being written in this way.

Scott6373

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 11:57:55 am »
The modernist twelve-tone serialist tradition to which Wuorinen belongs actually seems like it could be quite appropriate for such a spare, austere, and even bleak story. I doubt the soundtrack will ever take off and enter people's hearts like Gustavo's for the film, but approached strictly within the context of the staged work, the score might prove quite fitting.

It also occurs to me, considering the atonal tradition founded by Schoenberg, that some of the characters may express themselves in Sprechgesang rather than lyrically. I could easily imagine the character of Ennis being written in this way.

I wouldn't classify dodecophany as spare.  Actually I would say it's the opposite.  With 12 tones, rather than the traditional 8, the variations in color, harmonic progression and orchestration is almost unlimited.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 12:16:31 pm »
I thought these were the names being floated for the proposed musical...I don't think either of these gentlemen (Hugh Jackman and James Marsden) would have the requisite piping ( ::)) for opera.

I thought the same thing, Scott. Didn't make sense to me. Sounds like Leslie's source had its stories crossed.

How 'bout we cast Scott (not you, our Yankee friend) as Ennis?  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 12:43:05 pm »
I thought the same thing, Scott. Didn't make sense to me. Sounds like Leslie's source had its stories crossed.

How 'bout we cast Scott (not you, our Yankee friend) as Ennis?  :D

Me?  Hell no...I could never plumb the depths of that man.  Nice thought though.  Could I be there when they cast Jack...you know...to see if I can kiss him without vomitting.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 01:25:21 pm »
Me?  Hell no...I could never plumb the depths of that man.  Nice thought though.

Sure, you. This is opera. You can s-a-a-a-n-g, and I'm sure you can act.

Could I be there when they cast Jack...you know...to see if I can kiss him without vomitting.

There's an image I could have done without.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 02:20:27 pm »
This is all really exciting news!  :D

It brings new (ironic) meaning to the line in the film... "as long as I don't have to sing"!
 :laugh:

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 02:27:16 pm »
Bring it on, expand my horizons, I never expected to ride this long.  :-*
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Scott6373

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 02:27:29 pm »
I'm super, ultra skeptical of this venture.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 02:33:12 pm »
I'm super, ultra skeptical of this venture.

Tell you what, so am I, but it's still fun to think of you and Milo Morris singin' Ennis and Jack.

Hubba hubba.  ;D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »
Tell you what, so am I, but it's still fun to think of you and Milo Morris singin' Ennis and Jack.

Hubba hubba.  ;D

:D :D :D ;D

Scott6373

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 02:43:06 pm »

Hubba hubba.  ;D

Can you picture a 5'7 white man singing "I ain't queer" to a 6'4 black man...that's a visual

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 03:47:26 pm »
Can you picture a 5'7 white man singing "I ain't queer" to a 6'4 black man...that's a visual

Yeehaw!  ;D

I guess you'd have to stand on a stepladder disguised as a tree stump for the dozy embrace. ...  ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 04:01:29 pm »
Well, I'll admit that I'm a bit skeptical about this idea too.  But, if Proulx has approved it officially, I feel a bit better about it.  She seems to know what she's doing when it comes to this story.
;)

Just think of all the different "official" versions of this story there are now including this opera.  It's interesting to see it continue to morph and be translated into different media and different interpretations.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 10:57:49 pm »
Yee-Haw-aw-AW-aw-AW-aw-aaaaaawwwwww!  :)

I searched YouTube for Charles Wuorinen and only found this - an interview with him on Charlie Rose.  It starts at 23:16.

Charlie Rose: January 3, 1996 - First, a discussion with Tanya Melich, author of "The Republican War Against Women", and Arianna Huffington, from "Politically Incorrect", about the role abortion may have in the 1996 election. Then, an interview with choreographer and artistic director of The New York City Ballet Peter Martins and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Charles Wuorinen about their homage to George Balanchine and Igor Stravinsky. Finally, an interview with filmmaker and actor Forest Whitaker about the film "Waiting to Exhale", based on the novel by Terry McMillan.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF3QDEXY6TA[/youtube]

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2007, 06:31:40 am »
Wow! I find this very interesting, and fascinating, and heartening.

Thinking about it, the OS might even be more fitting for opera than for a musical, though I would pay good money to see both! Its drama and grand sweeping emotions of "forbidden" love that ends tragically seems very suited to the opera form (from my admittedly limited knowledge about the genre). And so does the few rather spare scenes of the OS, really - opera would be perfect for conveying the emotions of the two, IMO - and it needen't feel compelled to flesh out the OS the way the film does. More of importance goes on inside the characters (especially Ennis) than is ever visible in the action. I think there wouldn't be a dry eye from a perfectly-sung "dozy embrace love duet" even if the word love doesn't appear in it, for instance. And operas can do lots of interesting stuff with the scenery, too - use projected images, film snippets, lightning effects etc. etc. I'm thinking a modern opera could be more inventive and off-the-beaten-track in its presentation than a big-time musical ever could. The latter I envisage having to conform very much to a lot of genre limitations and expectations to keep it palatable to that of necessity wider audience. Having recently seen some of the  big musicals on Broadway as well as two NYC operas I am only reinforced in this view.

Atonal opera I admit would be a big challenge for me to get into, but if anything or anyone made me do that, surely it would be Jack and Ennis!  :)

Susie may be sceptical of the tenor-sung "Yousonofawhoresonbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch" , (that made me really grin!  ;D ) but I'm equally sceptical of any upbeat Musical-type "Jump-off point stampede" or "Not in Nottingham Riverton" ensemble song&dance numbers.  ;)

Well, I'd like to se both genres adapt the story, of course! More, more, more! Never enough! Good on Annie Proulx that she thinks the same.  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 05:55:18 pm by Mikaela »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2007, 06:57:23 am »
From Playbill:

'Gay 12-Tone Cowboys' - Composer Charles Wuorinen Plans Opera Version of Brokeback Mountain

By Matthew Westphal
September 27, 2007

Yep, 12-tone gay cowboys ... It's not a hoax ...

When word emerged this week that an operatic version of Brokeback Mountain is in the works, with a score by Charles Wuorinen, a lot of people in the classical music world weren't sure what to think. For a start, the news appeared in the Rush and Molloy gossip column in New York's tabloid Daily News — not a place the industry thinks to look for breaking developments. And the combination of material, medium and music seemed wildly improbable: a spare short story by Annie Proulx about inarticulate Wyoming sheepherders — which, granted, had been made into a film that was very compelling but was far from histrionic — translated into the most histrionic of art forms? With a composer who's one of America's last major unrepentant modernists?

It was hard not to wonder if this was some sort of out-of-season April Fool's joke ...

"I think it's a marvelous idea," Wuorinen's manager, Howard Stokar, told Playbill Arts. "And so did Annie Proulx ... she liked the idea of it being an opera, and she liked the idea of Charles composing it."

There's no commission or opera house involved just yet — says Stokar, "Right now, it's really just under discussion. Who knows what's going to happen?" — but Proulx's approval means that one major hurdle that fells many worthwhile projects has been cleared. (Leonard Bernstein, for instance, is said to have worked on a treatment of Nabokov's Lolita but couldn't get rights to the story.)

The idea for a Brokeback opera was all Wuorinen's. "He wanted to work on a dramatic piece," said Stokar, "and this seemed like the perfect subject."

After Haroun and the Sea of Stories, the composer's adaptation of Salman Rushdie's novel for children which premiered at New York City Opera in 2004, Wuorinen was eager to create another stage work. "He was very impressed with the movie adaptation of the short story," said Stokar, "and he thought it would be quite marvelous as an opera. In a way, it's a good old-fashioned love story."

Would Proulx's taciturn characters fit best in a chamber opera? "It would be a big piece," Stokar said, "something for an actual opera house."

Wuorinen is certainly aware of the problems involved in translating the story for the stage. "What's impressive about the film adaptation is that it really has an excellent screenplay," Stokar pointed out. "Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana did a terrific job of turning this little work of prose" — the original "Brokeback Mountain" is barely more than 10,000 words — "into a two-hour movie. Something similar would have to be done for an opera — for example, the language in the film is not language you can use in an opera. Who that's gonna be [to write the libretto], of course, it's much too early to say."

(A tip of the broad-brimmed hat to blogger and New Yorker critic Alex Ross for the headline.)

http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/print/7111.html

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2007, 12:13:39 pm »
"It would be a big piece," Stokar said, "something for an actual opera house."

:)

OK. I'm officially and openly loving this. A big piece! Yay! Our guys deserve nothing less.

Thank you for the article Leslie.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 02:39:14 pm »

And, I'm willing to bet Meryl, our resident opera-expert, just nailed your trivia question!

The "huhs" arent in the story, and Ennis being taciturn is also very much an invention of the screenplay, as well as Heath Ledger's interpretation of the character, but not part of the story.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 07:00:15 pm »

I am very guarded about this whole idea.  I am hoping that Annie Proulx has seen this thru.
I am so afraid that it can be such a sad failure, and ruin some of the wonder of the whole thing.
      It is truly the greatest love story since Romeo and Juliet.  I hope for the best,,Please dont screw it up..............

Beautiful mind

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 09:11:41 pm »
A lot of the arias that Ennis might sing could be internal monologues. The story never tells us what Ennis was thinking, or Jack for that matter, but an opera could. Simultaneously.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 05:37:50 pm »
Brokeback is going to appear in many forms down the years... just like a work of Shakespeare.   BUT Santoalalla's music is so HUGE that it's gonna be the wind outside the trailer if the composer of the opera ain't careful.

Personally, I look forward to a full scale stage play before I die...one (like The Laramie Project or Our Town) that can be performed relatively easy everywhere for ages to come. The message of Brokeback Mountain demands it.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 11:03:39 am »
I agree that Gustavo's music is now *so* strongly associated with BBM that it will be a challenge to introduce an entirely different musical scheme to the story.

I'm actually excited to see further projects surrounding BBM develop.  I'm still a little skeptical about the opera format too, but I will definitely go see it.
:)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 08:53:22 pm »
May it be!!

We, gay men, need many versions of BM.

Opera might help??

Maybe even make it too painful as in the movie??

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 10:34:13 am »
I found this website devoted to composer Charles Wuorinen. He is a son of New York City, having been born there in 1938 (only some three years younger than Annie Proulx). I noticed no mention on the site of the upcoming Brokeback Mountain opera:

http://www.charleswuorinen.com/

Scott6373

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 10:48:13 am »
Regardless, it is happening.  He has already started composing it according to colleagues of mine.  I for one, am interested only from a purely technical standpoint.  Artistically, it will be a disaster, and I would dare to predict this whole venture will seriously effect his composing career.

moremojo

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2007, 11:08:24 am »
Could you elaborate on those feelings, Scott? I for one am excited by this development, even if the results prove mediocre--but disastrous would be, well, disastrous.

Do you feel pessimistic based on Wuorinen's style or skills? I should note that I've heard nothing by him. Or do you think that the subject itself simply doesn't lend itself to the operatic form?

Scott6373

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 11:33:04 am »
Could you elaborate on those feelings, Scott? I for one am excited by this development, even if the results prove mediocre--but disastrous would be, well, disastrous.

Do you feel pessimistic based on Wuorinen's style or skills? I should note that I've heard nothing by him. Or do you think that the subject itself simply doesn't lend itself to the operatic form?

You asked fo it...you got it babe.

Brokeback Mountain would not work as an opera on several levels, the first being the most critical.  Opera, by its very nature, is not a visual medium, but an auditory one.  The form relies very heavily on melodramatic situations as opposed to intimate (albeit intense) dramatic interchanges.  With that said Brokeback Mountain is too intimate and quiet a tale to transfer to an operatic environment.  To further illustrate this point, in the summer of 2006, I was fortunate enough to attend the premier of Ned Rorem’s Our Town.  While the approach and the music itself were quite lovely, the whole was disaster.  Without a melodramatic impulse, it amounted to almost three hours of andante and adagio, with very little for the audience to hang their anticipation on.  There was no dramatic hook to propel the music to any kind of satisfying climax.

Another level that would spell doom to a venture like this is that without words, there is no opera.  It should be quite apparent to anyone reading the original story by Annie Proulx, or even the screenplay, that there is very little in the way of dialogue, and even less in the way of extended speaking by any of the characters.  This would require the librettecist create what was not there to begin with, and it is highly doubtful that lighting could strike three times, by creating a deeper understanding of these characters than has already been done.  Along the lines of language, I think it may prove monumental in size, trying to adapt the actual language of Brokeback Mountain into listenable singing.

As far as Charles Wuorinen is concerned, I am somewhat flummoxed by Annie Proulx’s choice (and let’s face it, it is her choice) of this particular composer.  His distaste for anything romantic, neo-romantic, or even idiomatic is almost as legendary as his exultation of Schoenberg and his twelve tone system as the equivalent of the second coming of Christ.  What helps to makes Brokeback Mountain the tragedy that it is, is that it centers heavily on its setting (the rural west), and all the idioms that go along with that.  I don’t think that Mr. Wuorinen is up to the task nor does he posses the innate skill to adapt his music to the story.  It would end up sounding like two educated men whining about their unrequited love using musical themes that are not accessible to the general public, and even more so Americans

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2007, 12:21:02 am »

I would not be nearly as well versed on how to say that Scott, but I agree with all of it that I understand...
I just dont see that it would work...Like the new show Viva Loughlin..I think it would be an infernal ugly disaster...

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2007, 08:21:03 pm »
Yes, we, gay men, need the BM Opera, as one choice, but better than the Brokeback Movie!!

Especially for pro-gay!!

Hugs!

moremojo

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2007, 09:37:32 am »
Yes, we, gay men, need the BM Opera, as one choice, but better than the Brokeback Movie!!

Especially for pro-gay!!
The opera is not likely to be any more "pro-gay" than the film or, for that matter, the original story. Homophobia, both internalized and external, is a dominant theme in this work.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2007, 10:22:48 am »
Thanks moremojo!

At least we can hope for better pro-gay?? !! Some parts... bettered or added ones?

And a less violent Opera, because the BM movie is TOO violent??

Hugs!

moremojo

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2007, 10:27:48 am »
Well, opera is brimming with violence and death, so I wouldn't look to this production to lessen that aspect of the story. Jack's death (a violent one, whether accidental or homicidal) is crucial to the tale and theme.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2007, 11:13:58 am »
As you say, the story of violence certainly fits it for an opera!

So, an opera will be an added or repeated feature!

More can be said about another BM movie than an opera therefore?

Hugs!

P.S., one thing for sure: an opera can maybe make think more of an upper class (and middle) about gay life?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2008, 04:10:34 pm »
WE, gay men, need this BM movie or Annie's story as a gay opera !

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2008, 01:02:32 am »
I just wrote to Wuorinen's manager, asking if there is any further news on this.  I'll let you know if I get a response.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2008, 10:03:01 am »
I just wrote to Wuorinen's manager, asking if there is any further news on this.  I'll let you know if I get a response.

That's great Elle!  I think many of us have been very curious about this for quite a while.  It'll be great if you are able to find out more about the status of this project/ concept.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2008, 09:57:13 pm »
I got a response from Howard Stokar (Wuorinen's manager):

"Check back on 9 June...a press release will be issued that day!"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2008, 10:10:20 pm »
I got a response from Howard Stokar (Wuorinen's manager):

"Check back on 9 June...a press release will be issued that day!"

Well!  That's certainly intriguing... and at least we won't have to wait too long. :)

It's nice that he replied so quickly too.

Offline Artiste

Re: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2008, 09:47:59 am »
Waiting...

au revoir !

WE WANT MORE BM !!

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Waiting until 2013 for BBM the opera.....
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »
'Brokeback Mountain' to premiere as opera in 2013

June 8, 2008, 1:07 PM EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York City Opera commissioned Charles Wuorinen to compose an opera based on "Brokeback Mountain," the 1997 short story by Annie Proulx that became the basis for a 2005 movie that won three Academy Awards.

The opera is scheduled to premiere in spring 2013, City Opera said Sunday. It will be City Opera's second Wuorinen premiere, following "Haroun and the Sea of Stories," which was based on a Salman Rushdie novel and opened in October 2004.

"Ever since encountering Annie Proulx's extraordinary story I have wanted to make an opera on it, and it gives me great joy that Gerard Mortier and New York City Opera have given me the opportunity to do so," Wuorinen said in a statement.

"Brokeback Mountain" is a cowboy romance about two ranch-hand buddies who start a homosexual affair when they meet on the fictional mountain in 1963.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=317952

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2008, 07:10:34 pm »
I will be there the night it opens, diety willing and if the creeks don't rise.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2008, 07:36:34 pm »

Me, too!  Can't believe my place of employ actually did something that smart!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2008, 11:47:29 pm »
Me, too!  Can't believe my place of employ actually did something that smart!  ;D

Wow, Meryl! I KNOW I'll be there Dress Rehersal--and you'll be in your usual place, at the center, at your Control Panel of Power! Ye-hah!

And I'll be there on opening night, too--black tie and Stetson!
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2008, 12:16:17 am »
Me too, I'll wear a gown to the opera!

(scroll down)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2008, 01:14:39 am »
Me too, I'll wear a gown to the opera!

:laugh:  :laugh:

very appropriate!  ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2008, 01:16:49 am »

Hey Meryl, that means that Gerard Mortier will be your boss as of next year?
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2008, 09:54:49 am »
And some of you put me down when I said: yes !!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2008, 10:50:57 am »

Hey Meryl, that means that Gerard Mortier will be your boss as of next year?

Yep.  Just hope he's good at getting people to open up their wallets!  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator

Offline Artiste

« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2008, 10:33:28 am »
News Meryl !

More?