Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera  (Read 44811 times)

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Brokeback Mountain - The Opera (NO WAY!)
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 05:37:50 pm »
Brokeback is going to appear in many forms down the years... just like a work of Shakespeare.   BUT Santoalalla's music is so HUGE that it's gonna be the wind outside the trailer if the composer of the opera ain't careful.

Personally, I look forward to a full scale stage play before I die...one (like The Laramie Project or Our Town) that can be performed relatively easy everywhere for ages to come. The message of Brokeback Mountain demands it.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2007, 11:03:39 am »
I agree that Gustavo's music is now *so* strongly associated with BBM that it will be a challenge to introduce an entirely different musical scheme to the story.

I'm actually excited to see further projects surrounding BBM develop.  I'm still a little skeptical about the opera format too, but I will definitely go see it.
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 08:53:22 pm »
May it be!!

We, gay men, need many versions of BM.

Opera might help??

Maybe even make it too painful as in the movie??

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 10:34:13 am »
I found this website devoted to composer Charles Wuorinen. He is a son of New York City, having been born there in 1938 (only some three years younger than Annie Proulx). I noticed no mention on the site of the upcoming Brokeback Mountain opera:

http://www.charleswuorinen.com/

Scott6373

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 10:48:13 am »
Regardless, it is happening.  He has already started composing it according to colleagues of mine.  I for one, am interested only from a purely technical standpoint.  Artistically, it will be a disaster, and I would dare to predict this whole venture will seriously effect his composing career.

moremojo

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2007, 11:08:24 am »
Could you elaborate on those feelings, Scott? I for one am excited by this development, even if the results prove mediocre--but disastrous would be, well, disastrous.

Do you feel pessimistic based on Wuorinen's style or skills? I should note that I've heard nothing by him. Or do you think that the subject itself simply doesn't lend itself to the operatic form?

Scott6373

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 11:33:04 am »
Could you elaborate on those feelings, Scott? I for one am excited by this development, even if the results prove mediocre--but disastrous would be, well, disastrous.

Do you feel pessimistic based on Wuorinen's style or skills? I should note that I've heard nothing by him. Or do you think that the subject itself simply doesn't lend itself to the operatic form?

You asked fo it...you got it babe.

Brokeback Mountain would not work as an opera on several levels, the first being the most critical.  Opera, by its very nature, is not a visual medium, but an auditory one.  The form relies very heavily on melodramatic situations as opposed to intimate (albeit intense) dramatic interchanges.  With that said Brokeback Mountain is too intimate and quiet a tale to transfer to an operatic environment.  To further illustrate this point, in the summer of 2006, I was fortunate enough to attend the premier of Ned Rorem’s Our Town.  While the approach and the music itself were quite lovely, the whole was disaster.  Without a melodramatic impulse, it amounted to almost three hours of andante and adagio, with very little for the audience to hang their anticipation on.  There was no dramatic hook to propel the music to any kind of satisfying climax.

Another level that would spell doom to a venture like this is that without words, there is no opera.  It should be quite apparent to anyone reading the original story by Annie Proulx, or even the screenplay, that there is very little in the way of dialogue, and even less in the way of extended speaking by any of the characters.  This would require the librettecist create what was not there to begin with, and it is highly doubtful that lighting could strike three times, by creating a deeper understanding of these characters than has already been done.  Along the lines of language, I think it may prove monumental in size, trying to adapt the actual language of Brokeback Mountain into listenable singing.

As far as Charles Wuorinen is concerned, I am somewhat flummoxed by Annie Proulx’s choice (and let’s face it, it is her choice) of this particular composer.  His distaste for anything romantic, neo-romantic, or even idiomatic is almost as legendary as his exultation of Schoenberg and his twelve tone system as the equivalent of the second coming of Christ.  What helps to makes Brokeback Mountain the tragedy that it is, is that it centers heavily on its setting (the rural west), and all the idioms that go along with that.  I don’t think that Mr. Wuorinen is up to the task nor does he posses the innate skill to adapt his music to the story.  It would end up sounding like two educated men whining about their unrequited love using musical themes that are not accessible to the general public, and even more so Americans

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2007, 12:21:02 am »

I would not be nearly as well versed on how to say that Scott, but I agree with all of it that I understand...
I just dont see that it would work...Like the new show Viva Loughlin..I think it would be an infernal ugly disaster...

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2007, 08:21:03 pm »
Yes, we, gay men, need the BM Opera, as one choice, but better than the Brokeback Movie!!

Especially for pro-gay!!

Hugs!

moremojo

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2007, 09:37:32 am »
Yes, we, gay men, need the BM Opera, as one choice, but better than the Brokeback Movie!!

Especially for pro-gay!!
The opera is not likely to be any more "pro-gay" than the film or, for that matter, the original story. Homophobia, both internalized and external, is a dominant theme in this work.