Author Topic: New Format  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
New Format
« on: May 11, 2006, 12:28:20 pm »
I am implementing a change in policy about how games are organized on the system.

First, moderators have been assigned specific responsibilities to administer the games appearing in their section.  If a game ends up in ABC's/123's, your moderators for those games are listed at the top of that child board.  If a game ends up in I Love Everything (which is a temporary title because as everyone knows I am lousy at picking good board names), the moderators (currently just Roland) will be at the top there.

Second, duplicative threads may be merged or moved into the correct child board or topic to reduce confusion.

Third, and this is a reminder to everyone - people are very sensitive about Brokeback Mountain.  It's like protecting one's own child, and when others are critical of someone's opinion about the movie, it is very easy to take that as a personal insult.  I have discovered on several occasions that my views about the film were changed because my first impressions were wrong.

What is so great about this community is that we are all sharing what we have been able to discern from the movie and adding it to our collective wisdom.  Bringing a new idea challenging the conventional wisdom is fine, but don't disrespect that collective wisdom that people have spent months and probably hundreds of hours coming to terms with. 

If we have a mutual respect for one another and appreciation that everyone's views may differ, we'll all be richer for it.  At no time should those disagreements rise to the level of personally attacking one another.  Debate ideas, not people, and doing so in the middle of a fun game is probably not the best place.  Try one of the many other forums we have here for open discussions about the film.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 09:04:55 am by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: New Format
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 01:37:43 pm »
Cheers Phillip - I have an appreciation for all your hard work!  ;)

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 01:45:26 pm »
What is so great about this community is that we are all sharing what we have been able to discern from the movie and adding it to our collective wisdom.  Bringing a new idea challenging the conventional wisdom is fine, but don't disrespect that collective wisdom that people have spent months and probably hundreds of hours coming to terms with. 

If we have a mutual respect for one another and appreciation that everyone's views may differ, we'll all be richer for it.  At no time should those disagreements rise to the level of personally attacking one another.  Debate ideas, not people, and doing so in the middle of a fun game is probably not the best place.  Try one of the many other forums we have here for open discussions about the film.

Bless you Phillip..well said.. Once again the voice of reason in a troubled time. :)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 03:42:06 pm »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Phillip. I do hope, I won't let you down concerning the trust I feel you have shown me.

For the next little while, I'm hoping to take baby steps.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

TJ

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 05:27:02 pm »
Phillip, I appreciate your efforts and I commend you on what you are doing as the administratory, too.

Sometimes, I feel like a homeless man who ended up in a shelter and did not know what the rules for staying were and I had to go back one or two more night stays to learn more what was expected of me, too.

Oh, I was really homeless in March and April 1994. While I only spent 5 nights in a parachurch mission here in Tulsa, a friend got it set up so that I could stay in a half-way house for those with addictive behaviors. My friend was a drug rehab counselor with the Indian Clinic but he knew that I did not have any addictions and because he and his cousin, the pastor the church I attended, knew that I was also gay and had been through the loss of my father a couple of weeks before, they decided to find me a place close to downtown where I could get the services I needed.

I didn't have to write all of that; but, I just wanted to share it with you and the moderators who have also posted here, too. I appreciate their work, too.

So, in my country ways, I say, "A tip o' the Shady Brady t' ya!" (A Shady Brady is a flexible Western straw hat that can be reshaped to the whim of the cowboy who wears it.)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 11:05:08 pm »
Question Phillip

Who's suppose to moderate these homeless threads? Hunh?!?

I could handle the ones I started, but not all threads were created by moderators.

Just wondering .......

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 12:00:28 am »
Question Phillip

Who's suppose to moderate these homeless threads? Hunh?!?

I could handle the ones I started, but not all threads were created by moderators.

Just wondering .......

If anyone has an issue or problem with a game on this main page, they can write to me.  Everything else is just as before... play away. 

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 04:49:46 pm »
Fran made an excellent point in commenting about how she dislikes the use of the "child board" term.  I agree with her - it's something built into the software, and I'll have John set about changing it.  It is a technical term and in no way should be interpreted as a comment about the games themselves or participating users.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 10:07:39 pm »
I have not been thrilled with the look and feel of the child board concept for this section, so I decided to try and break out the two most popular games right onto the main forum page.  It should make it easier to find the games and give them a bit more visibility for everyone.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 09:46:19 am »
I really like that my links still work. You musta had to put in some redirects. I'll bet this board requires a lot of work but it sure makes using it a dream. Thank you!
"chewing gum and duct tape"