Author Topic: TOTW 10/07: What's so funny, huh?  (Read 12188 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 10/07: What's so funny, huh?
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:30:19 am »
Happy new week, BetterMostians  :)! Hope this will be a good one for you. It will be a short one for me, because in Germany we'll have a public holiday on Wednesday - yeaaaah  ;D

Before starting with the new TOTW I wanted to thank everybody who joins our discussions here. Even after all this time, and all those words written about the movie/story, there are still new things, new perspectives to be detected. What a deep and multilayered masterpiece Proulx and Ang Lee created (what else is new? ;)). And I just love to hear all your different POVs about various aspects of it, so thank you for sharing them with us here.

With all this serious discussions we usually have going on here, I think we could use a week of fun as a mark for the tenth TOTW ;D. I'm aware that we already have a thread about the fun stuff in the "I love the lighter side" Forum. But I want to give this TOTW a broader range of sources. And since this forum is dedicated to the movie/story and how it affected us, I'd also love to hear funny, delighting, pleasurable, goofy, hilarious, and loveable anecdotes from your Brokeback Mountain experiences  :D.

What's so funny, huh?

Have a scene, a facial expression or else in the movie that cracks you up everytime? A line in the story which makes you smile each time you read it? A funny cinema adventure around viewing BBM? Maybe you have read a hilarious review somewhere?
Share it here with us, we want to laugh with you  :D.

Edit: Additional information: We have a new, small, but useful technical feature for the time the TOTW is bannered  :). When you click the direct link in the banner (which always reads here) it will bring you directly to the posts which are new to you. So you don't have to scroll or turn the pages every time you come back to the topic.
Thank you Clarissa for this nice little knack  :D.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: TOTW 10/07: What's so funny, huh?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:58:00 am »
I'll go first this week  ;D.

When I saw BBM for the first time (which was the dubbed German version), I noticed the sign at Aguirre's trailer right away: "Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again". Living in Germany, I had never seen or heard of that saying before and found it hilarious. I literally laughed out loud - and I was the only one in the whole cinema  ;D. People turned around to me, looking who's laughing so unprovoked, or some may even have thought inappropriate. Which of course made me laugh even more  :laugh:.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 10:20:46 am »
Not to be a downer on this fun thread, but I've always found that sign interesting because, on the one hand, it's funny, and on the other, it tragically encapsulates the whole movie. Jack and Ennis "trespassed" against society's rules. One was shot. The survivor was shot again, in a sense, having to live with grief and guilt.

:'( :'( :'(

Sorry! Back to fun! Here's another sign-related one. I probably never would have realized how funny it is, if it weren't for a post someone (maybe naughtylibrarian?) wrote on the old hilarious classic "Cowboy Etiquette" imdb thread (sorry -- I wanted to post a link to that thread here, but for some reason it's not on the archive site; anybody have one?).

Anyway, the sign is the one on the wall of Ennis and Alma's apartment building -- the one that says "Laundromat entrance around front." Ennis parks his truck right below it just before going up to the apartment, in the scene where he gets Jack's postcard:

So naughtylibrarian (or whoever it was -- sorry if I'm miscrediting) gave this tip of cowboy etiquette:

"Always park directly under the 'Laundromat entrance around front' sign so everyone knows what entrance you really like using."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm pretty sure Ang did that on purpose.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 11:22:33 am »
Not to be a downer on this fun thread, but I've always found that sign interesting because, on the one hand, it's funny, and on the other, it tragically encapsulates the whole movie. Jack and Ennis "trespassed" against society's rules. One was shot. The survivor was shot again, in a sense, having to live with grief and guilt.

:'( :'( :'(

:'(
Yep, of course you're right. The sign isn't funny for two reasons: apart fom the movie, it shows a certain mindset which is actually everything but funny, and very very foreign to us Europeans. Regarding the movie, it is everything you said, I remember the discussion(s) we had about it. Jack ends up dead and Ennis "gets shot" not only again = twice, but repeated times: at the lake scene argument (where he stood "as if heartshot" in the story), the postcard, the phone call, the mentioning of 'the other fella' by OMT, the refusal of the ashes and of course finding The Shirts (although the latter are also, or even more so, a blessing).

On a lighter note: I couldn't know all this at my first viewing.

Sorry! Back to fun! Here's another sign-related one. I probably never would have realized how funny it is, if it weren't for a post someone (maybe naughtylibrarian?) wrote on the old hilarious classic "Cowboy Etiquette" imdb thread (sorry -- I wanted to post a link to that thread here, but for some reason it's not on the archive site; anybody have one?).

Anyway, the sign is the one on the wall of Ennis and Alma's apartment building -- the one that says "Laundromat entrance around front." Ennis parks his truck right below it just before going up to the apartment, in the scene where he gets Jack's postcard:

So naughtylibrarian (or whoever it was -- sorry if I'm miscrediting) gave this tip of cowboy etiquette:

"Always park directly under the 'Laundromat entrance around front' sign so everyone knows what entrance you really like using."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm pretty sure Ang did that on purpose.

Since when do way stay strctly to a topic, huh?  ;) So no need to be sorry bud.

Your pic doesn't show up. The cowboy etiquette saying  is funny ;D

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 12:25:21 pm »
On a lighter note: I couldn't know all this at my first viewing.

True. I had read the story on my first viewing, and even then I didn't get the other meaning of the sign. I probably didn't get that for several more viewings, in fact.

Since when do way stay strctly to a topic, huh?  ;) So no need to be sorry bud.

So OT posters won't be shot, hunh? That's a relief!  :laugh:

Your pic doesn't show up.

Really? That's odd, because not only do I see the pic in my own post, but I see the pic in your quote of my post. Does anybody else see it?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 01:29:09 pm »
I asked TOoP/Bruce, our astute and inestimably talented BBM archivist, whether he by any chance had a copy of the famous "Cowboy Etiquette" thread, and he produced it right away!  :-*, Bruce! So now I can correctly identify the poster of the funny laundromat-sign line. It was spottedreptile:

Re: What nuance of Cowboy Etiquette did YOU first learn from this movie?   
  by - spottedreptile (Fri Jan 27 2006 17:41:57 )   
When parking outside your laundromat apartment, always park right next to the 'Laundromat entrance round front' sign, so everybody knows which entrance you really like to use.

Bruce has reposted the entire "Cowboy Etiquette" thread in the IMDb Remarkable Writings Rewound forum, and for anyone who hasn't seen it before, I highly recommend it. It is one of the funniest threads ever. I remember when I first read it was when I first began to feel like a true Brokie -- there I was, sitting in front of my computer in the middle of the night, cracking up over lines that I knew most people in the world would just find bewildering. Some of them still go through my mind whenever I watch the film.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,13507.0.html

P.S. On a more disturbing note -- I can't even find any poster on the thread named "naughtylibrarian"!!!!   ???  :-X Where did I come up with THAT one?!?? Maybe I was thinking of poorlittleteacher, a frequent poster on that thread ... But why did it change in my memory into something more ... burlesquey? (My apologies, if there is a naughtylibrarian out there somewhere! [insert blushing emoticon here])

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 02:52:45 pm »
I lighten up, hunh, several times while watching the movie because of posts I remember when I see the scenes:

- The disappearing log when Jack is talking to Aguirre
- Cassie tossing her tresses from side to side
- "If I had three hands I could" (On that one I remember henrypie posting on IMDb the little IMDb icon with the caption, "If I had three eyes I could.")
- The view of the "piece of cherry" cake in the kitchen, with its lone cherry (though I read recently of someone seeing more).
- Even the shot of the semi before Ennis jumps out, because I remember the fateful apple that got put in that scene at the beginning of our wonderful Performance Thread.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 02:55:19 pm »

Another one for me is the boot in the fire.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 03:43:24 pm »

I love Jack telling Ennis lets git, unless ya wanta stand around tyin knots all day.  And that
eyebrow thing Ennis does and the funny look he gives back.
       He finds out Jack is going to be a force to be reckoned with..

Beautiful mind

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 04:44:48 pm »

P.S. On a more disturbing note -- I can't even find any poster on the thread named "naughtylibrarian"!!!!   ???  :-X Where did I come up with THAT one?!?? Maybe I was thinking of poorlittleteacher, a frequent poster on that thread ... But why did it change in my memory into something more ... burlesquey? (My apologies, if there is a naughtylibrarian out there somewhere! [insert blushing emoticon here])

I strongly suspect you are half-correctly remembering an IMDb user who goes by the name "The_Naked_Librarian" who posted on a number of threads when the movie first came out. 

If you search the IMDb Remarkable Threads Rewind forum, you will find a few quotes from TNL.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 05:09:23 pm »
I strongly suspect you are half-correctly remembering an IMDb user who goes by the name "The_Naked_Librarian" who posted on a number of threads when the movie first came out.

Thank you, Bruce! I strongly suspect you're right. Now I don't feel so perplexed -- the Naked Librarian is even more burlesque than I'd remembered!  :laugh:

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 08:17:17 pm »

----****~~~~Signature line~~~~****----

;D  :laugh:  :D  :)  ;)  ::)  :laugh:  :-*  ;D  :)  ;)  :laugh:  ::)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 08:01:48 am »
Although some threads are filled with profound observations and insights  :o , I must confess that some of my favorite threads are just fun and silly. ;D

A few of my favorite humorous threads (hope you enjoy them too!):  :laugh:

Brokeback Mountain Craft Corner http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10857.0.html

Linez =U= wont hear in BbM  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1100.0.html

Brokeback Pants  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10586.0.html

Burma Shave  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10331.0.html

Brokeback Fever Pitch, I 'Cowbot, and other sequels http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10611.0.html

Jack the Chupacabra  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10401.0.html

Let's write a Brokeback Limerick http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,2147.0.html

The Brokebacklycrumb Tinies http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10285.0.html

The BbM Wrong Answer Game http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8731.0.html

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Toast

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 03:05:56 pm »
It was early 2006 and all I had seen of Brokeback was the trailer.  The domestic American trailer.
I had read the novella, I had read the reviews and I was just itching to download the film.
The screener rip had not appeared yet and I was so impatient to see if this film could live up to Annie Proulx's words.

The trailer I had been watching seemed ok, but seemed a bit earnest and almost "unemotional" in a real human sense.

But then I saw the French trailer - as in France.
and I was so surprised to hear this Aguirre guy talking about scrawny asses
and one of the cowboys was doing this dance and collapses into the pots and pans.
And I laughed and relaxed, and I knew that Annie had made it into the spirit of the film.

The Oscar screener came online and I dowloaded the single CD version first
Then I discovered the double disk files giving more image detail to the movie.

Now I have the official full screen and wide screen versions, but my favourite scenes are those where Aguirre speaks Proulx(ian), and Jack does his dance for Ennis.

There are so many enjoyable scenes, but these two bring back that new warm feeling of a new great movie.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 03:51:09 pm »
It was early 2006 and all I had seen of Brokeback was the trailer.  The domestic American trailer.
I had read the novella, I had read the reviews and I was just itching to download the film.
The screener rip had not appeared yet and I was so impatient to see if this film could live up to Annie Proulx's words.

The trailer I had been watching seemed ok, but seemed a bit earnest and almost "unemotional" in a real human sense.

But then I saw the French trailer - as in France.
and I was so surprised to hear this Aguirre guy talking about scrawny asses
and one of the cowboys was doing this dance and collapses into the pots and pans.
And I laughed and relaxed, and I knew that Annie had made it into the spirit of the film.

The Oscar screener came online and I dowloaded the single CD version first
Then I discovered the double disk files giving more image detail to the movie.

Now I have the official full screen and wide screen versions, but my favourite scenes are those where Aguirre speaks Proulx(ian), and Jack does his dance for Ennis.

There are so many enjoyable scenes, but these two bring back that new warm feeling of a new great movie.

Loved your story, Toast  :D

And it reminds me of a very early Brokeback story of mine:

March 2006, I was on my way to the theatre to see Brokeback Mountain for the first time. Along with me came Kerstin; I had asked her if she wanted to come to the theatre with me and see BBM. On our way, she asked me what the movie is about. She said "I only know it's about two cowboys. They're brothers." - Boy was she wrong  :laugh:

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 05:33:39 pm »
Funny moment?  When Ennis is getting all sarcastic with Jack in the next-to-last camping scene.

"Yeah you're a real thinker there, Jack!  Jack fuckin Twist, got it all figgered out."     :)

The odd thing is that the more I see Brokeback, the more little odd moments I find to laugh at.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 06:08:16 pm »
I still love Lureen's little, barely suppressed smile when Jack tells LD off.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 10:09:19 pm »
I always get tickled when after Ennis gets thrown off the horse, and Jack is waitin' for him back at camp, when he hears Ennis comin' he gets a little smirk on his face, 'cause he's gonna razz him about supper not bein' ready.  (Even though he was truly worried about where Ennis was.)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 01:44:19 am »
"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat them.'

:laugh:  :laugh:
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 07:51:13 am »
"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat them.'

This is my favorite line in the movie. I have it on a bumper sticker on my car and I still smile whenever I think about it. (I'm smiling right now   ;D )

In fact, I love this whole "extended scene"  - from Ennis at the Basque Bridge through "I'm tired of your dumb ass missin'" There is so much to smile at, either because it's funny in itself or because it gives us further proof of Ennis' affection for Jack.

The Basque is looking at the new list of groceries and says to Ennis,
"Thought you didn't eat soup."
    E:  Yeah, well, I'm sick of beans." (No he isn't, Jack is. Ennis is still saying "mmmmmm" as he's eating his beans.)
    B: (with a little smirk on his face) "Too early in the summer to be sick of beans."
And then that great look that Ennis gives the Basque. The one that could be saying "Shut the f- up."

And then Ennis shoots an elk - an elk! - for the two of them to eat.

I love this whole section. In a movie that doesn't give us a whole lot to be laughing about, this is a gem.

(BBM Trivia: Ang Lee's direction to the Basque at the bridge, in regards to the "Too early in the summer..." line, was simply to look him in the eye and say, very quietly, "You know you're funny.")

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 12:33:15 pm »
I always get tickled when after Ennis gets thrown off the horse, and Jack is waitin' for him back at camp, when he hears Ennis comin' he gets a little smirk on his face, 'cause he's gonna razz him about supper not bein' ready.  (Even though he was truly worried about where Ennis was.)

You think?  I mean, he's definitely being melodramatic and making a bigger deal of it than it deserves.  But I didn't notice a smirk or anything . . .

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 12:40:11 pm »
You think?  I mean, he's definitely being melodramatic and making a bigger deal of it than it deserves.  But I didn't notice a smirk or anything . . .

Oh yeah it's real subtle, you got to look to see it.  I missed it the first few times.  He's smiling/smirking as he sets the whiskey bottle down and is about to get up.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 12:47:35 pm »
"The Pentecost.....I don't know what the Pentecost means"

There's something about this line and the way Jack says it that strikes me as funny for some reason.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 01:03:12 pm »
"Water-walking JEE-zuz, take me uh-waaaay!"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 01:23:25 pm »
This is my favorite line in the movie. I have it on a bumper sticker on my car and I still smile whenever I think about it. (I'm smiling right now   ;D )

That's a great line to put on a bumper sticker. Where can I get one?  :)

(BBM Trivia: Ang Lee's direction to the Basque at the bridge, in regards to the "Too early in the summer..." line, was simply to look him in the eye and say, very quietly, "You know you're funny.")

I didn't know this Lauren, thanks. *sigh* you know it's trivia like these that really give you an insight in the kind of director Ang Lee really is and how he seems to be able to bring out such great performances from the actors. The basque was great and very funny.

I want the director's commentary dvd now!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 01:59:31 pm »
I didn't know this Lauren, thanks. *sigh* you know it's trivia like these that really give you an insight in the kind of director Ang Lee really is and how he seems to be able to bring out such great performances from the actors. The basque was great and very funny.

I want the director's commentary dvd now!

I didn't know that either. I agree with Fabienne.

Two of my fav funny lines:

"Tent don't look right."  :laugh:

"Here I am." spoken by Aguirre. I mentioned this before somewhere, I don't know why exactly this is so funny. There's something about Aguirre's tone. The remarkable thing is, that the people who do the dubbing must have noticed it, too. It's the same in the German version: "Hier bin ich." delivered in the exact same manner as Randy Quaid did it.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 02:05:07 pm »
'You'll run the sheep off again, if you don't quiet down'

:laugh:  :laugh:

Funny!Ennis really cracks me up.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2007, 05:16:51 pm »
Aguirre gets funnier and funnier to me.  My favorite is in his first scene: he stops talking, picks up the phone and looks at J + E like, "WTF are you still doing here?"

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2007, 05:46:11 pm »
That's a great line to put on a bumper sticker. Where can I get one? 

There are many online places to buy them. I happened to use MakeStickers.com because their website was easy to move around on and they had the template that would let me do exactly what I wanted to do. There are many styles to choose from, it was cheap (I think it was $8.00 for both of mine - 2 different ones - "I was just sendin' up a prayer of thanks" is on the other one but I've never put that one on my car.)  It has been through 2 Maine summers and a Maine winter and it still looks as good as it did when I first got it. I recommend them highly.

I've been thinking about doing another one that just has the one line on it, and then putting Ennis Del Mar under it, as the author, because people comment on it a lot but I don't think they have a clue what it means. At least not what it means to me! The one I have now has Brokeaholic on the top line, really big, and then the line from the movie under it in smaller letters, with a thin black line in between them. I think it was called a "newspaper headline" style, or something like that. Anyway, it was exactly what I wanted so I was happy to find it.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2007, 06:47:26 pm »
Ennis looks at Jack and says, "Whut?"
Jack says "That's more words than you've spoke in the past two weeks."
Ennis says, "Hell, that's the most I've spoke in a year."

I think this is a lighthearted part of the movie and to me it marked a turning point in the relationship between Ennis and Jack.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 07:21:23 pm »
I still love Lureen's little, barely suppressed smile when Jack tells LD off.

I like the little nod she give Bobby as if to say "Okay you better eat now!"

And I like it when after Jack tells Ennis: We better git unless you wanna stand around tying knots all day...Ennis for the breifst second looks right at the camera as if to say "I gotta spend the summer with THAT?!?"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 02:06:14 am »
I like the little nod she give Bobby as if to say "Okay you better eat now!"

And I like it when after Jack tells Ennis: We better git unless you wanna stand around tying knots all day...Ennis for the breifst second looks right at the camera as if to say "I gotta spend the summer with THAT?!?"

Yeah, Shakes, those are great "fun" moments...   Jack really is more lighthearted than Ennis who has a good sense of humor but it's more subtle and understated.   

I love Jacks's giggle whenever Ennis teases him about the harmonica.   Nothing bothers Jack too much in those early days, but that optimistic light heart of his is slowly worn down by the end leading to the "I wish knew how to quit you.."   Even the night before that day, Jack is joking and Ennis too, but in the background beating of Jack's heart is a deeper sadness leading to "There are times I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it..."

On  the surface of many scenes in Brokeback Mountain, there is light humor and love's light, but the undercurrent is always rather heavy, serious and dark, leading to death.  It's a bit like "Life" itself in many ways.  I think that's part of the power of the film, and story too, of course.   The humor in BBM is definitely comic relief for the big picture!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 04:40:18 pm »
After Jack tells the stud duck to sit down, you can see a little satisfied smile on Lureen's face.  I really like that bit.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 03:25:02 am »
After Jack tells the stud duck to sit down, you can see a little satisfied smile on Lureen's face.  I really like that bit.

And if anyone did, Stud Duck had it coming.. eh... and Laureen is quietly delighted!  Yah, a way cool scene