Author Topic: TOTW 10/07: What's so funny, huh?  (Read 12246 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: TOTW 10/07: What's so funny, huh?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 07:21:23 pm »
I still love Lureen's little, barely suppressed smile when Jack tells LD off.

I like the little nod she give Bobby as if to say "Okay you better eat now!"

And I like it when after Jack tells Ennis: We better git unless you wanna stand around tying knots all day...Ennis for the breifst second looks right at the camera as if to say "I gotta spend the summer with THAT?!?"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 02:06:14 am »
I like the little nod she give Bobby as if to say "Okay you better eat now!"

And I like it when after Jack tells Ennis: We better git unless you wanna stand around tying knots all day...Ennis for the breifst second looks right at the camera as if to say "I gotta spend the summer with THAT?!?"

Yeah, Shakes, those are great "fun" moments...   Jack really is more lighthearted than Ennis who has a good sense of humor but it's more subtle and understated.   

I love Jacks's giggle whenever Ennis teases him about the harmonica.   Nothing bothers Jack too much in those early days, but that optimistic light heart of his is slowly worn down by the end leading to the "I wish knew how to quit you.."   Even the night before that day, Jack is joking and Ennis too, but in the background beating of Jack's heart is a deeper sadness leading to "There are times I miss you so much, I can hardly stand it..."

On  the surface of many scenes in Brokeback Mountain, there is light humor and love's light, but the undercurrent is always rather heavy, serious and dark, leading to death.  It's a bit like "Life" itself in many ways.  I think that's part of the power of the film, and story too, of course.   The humor in BBM is definitely comic relief for the big picture!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 04:40:18 pm »
After Jack tells the stud duck to sit down, you can see a little satisfied smile on Lureen's face.  I really like that bit.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 03:25:02 am »
After Jack tells the stud duck to sit down, you can see a little satisfied smile on Lureen's face.  I really like that bit.

And if anyone did, Stud Duck had it coming.. eh... and Laureen is quietly delighted!  Yah, a way cool scene