Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8860549 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14330 on: March 02, 2016, 09:47:58 pm »
Well, it's on the honor system, so I guess it's my decision when I add up my hours to invoice. But I think it seems reasonable. The parties are explicitly organized as team-bonding events. The free food and drinks and interesting venues are nice, but I can't say I'd necessarily attend them if I didn't work there. It's similar to having dinner with a potential client.

Besides, it's a global Fortune 500 corporation; as a contract worker I don't get health insurance, PTO or any other benefits, so I figure they can pay me for a couple of hours of partying now and then.

Justifying, much?  ::)

I don't think so--not if the parties are team-building events. I think they should pay you for attending something like that. I've been grateful we've never had anything like that. It's bad enough having to do "performance plans" for each year.  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14331 on: March 03, 2016, 10:02:17 am »
I don't think so--not if the parties are team-building events. I think they should pay you for attending something like that. I've been grateful we've never had anything like that. It's bad enough having to do "performance plans" for each year.  ::)

Any "team building" things I've had to take part in were planned during working hours, so we were automatically paid for them.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14332 on: March 03, 2016, 10:08:47 am »
What is an intervention?

I want to tell you that yesterday I went to our Town Hall and swore allegiance to New Zealand.
I am now proud to be a Kiwi.

I took 4 friends to lunch beforehand. My sister sent me the money for the lunch. I know she would have liked to come but it would have been a waste of money to fly so far when she was here last October and she and her husband are coming to NZ on a cruise and (weather gods permitting) the ship will spend a day in Dunedin on April 11.

Congrats on your swearing in, Brian!  You must be proud!   I would be!

Regarding your question about what an intervention is, here in America when the family/friends of an alcoholic/drug addict have had enough of dealing with this behavior, they turn to an expert and hold an "intervention".

Basically, the sick family member is led to a room, and confronted by family and friends, and basically told that they are giving them the opportunity to go rehab.  If they choose not to go, they will have to face the consequences of no more help from anyone until they deal with their problems.

So regarding the "ecard" that prompted your question, someone is telling their friends/family that if they are planning to hold an intervention for them, to wait until after St. Patrick's Day, which is a party day here in America, so they can have one last big party day.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14333 on: March 03, 2016, 10:14:19 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!

Do people still use that line?  "Hey there.....what's your sign?"

::) :laugh:

Yesterday was a bit busy, I'm hoping today will be slower!!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14334 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:09 am »
Do people still use that line?  "Hey there.....what's your sign?"

::) :laugh:

Only people who wear Love beads and Peace symbols.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14335 on: March 03, 2016, 11:42:29 am »
Any "team building" things I've had to take part in were planned during working hours, so we were automatically paid for them.

Well, to clarify, it's not like we do a ropes course or fall backward and trust the others to catch us or whatever. They're pretty much just parties or, most recently, bowling. (When I first started there they volunteered at a food shelf, but they forgot to tell me and I missed that one.) But the point is to strengthen bonds between employees by getting to know one another outside the office so we'll make a better team.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14336 on: March 03, 2016, 11:54:06 am »
Well, to clarify, it's not like we do a ropes course or fall backward and trust the others to catch us or whatever. They're pretty much just parties or, most recently, bowling. (When I first started there they volunteered at a food shelf, but they forgot to tell me and I missed that one.) But the point is to strengthen bonds between employees by getting to know one another outside the office so we'll make a better team.

No, I got it. but I still think they should pay you for attending if that's the purpose. to make better teams.

I don't agree that getting to know your teammates outside the office will necessarily make you a better team, but let be, let be.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14337 on: March 04, 2016, 10:01:47 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!

Yes!  Happy happy pay day!

Not only is it payday, I'm getting my taxes done today, so I hope to collect a healthy refund!  :)

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14338 on: March 04, 2016, 05:01:19 pm »
I liked the intervention card.  I have a lot of (or used to) Irish drinking buddies,  When I went to the bar on St. Patricks Day, I would have the bartender put some green coloring in my wine and sat with the Irishmen. ;)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14339 on: March 05, 2016, 07:36:26 pm »
I liked the intervention card.  I have a lot of (or used to) Irish drinking buddies,  When I went to the bar on St. Patricks Day, I would have the bartender put some green coloring in my wine and sat with the Irishmen. ;)

I usually don't go out on St. Patrick's Day.  I get home as early as possible, and stay there, avoiding the amateurs out to get completely wrecked.  :laugh: