Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8736354 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14370 on: March 17, 2016, 09:45:13 am »
And how much more accurate is your phone than the person on the 6:00 news?

Seriously, have you ever made a comparison? That would be interesting to know.

I don't watch the 6:00 news, but I would imagine both it and my phone get their information from the same source, the National Weather Service or something like that.

But in the end, my phone is more accurate, because your TV meteorologist gives his/her last word at 6 (actually someone from the station probably updates it the next morning at 8 or thereabouts), but my phone can theoretically update itself throughout the day if conditions change. I haven't paid that close attention to its accuracy, but I think it's pretty close. For example, I'll get up in the morning and it's cloudy but the phone will say the sun is going to come out at noon, and then it does.

I have noticed that it's not completely on the ball about updating. For example, it might say it's currently 52 at 3 p.m. but predict that it's going to be 56 at 4 p.m. Yeah, right. But for the most part, it seems close enough to accurate.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14371 on: March 17, 2016, 07:24:54 pm »
But in the end, my phone is more accurate, because your TV meteorologist gives his/her last word at 6 (actually someone from the station probably updates it the next morning at 8 or thereabouts).

Don't forget, there's weather at 11:00, too.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14372 on: March 18, 2016, 09:26:17 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!

No complicated drinks for me, I didn't even go out!

Weekend is looking to be an odd one.  I'm doing laundry tonight instead of Sunday.  Sunday's weather is cold and rainy, and then at night turning to snow.  Since I don't want to deal with that, I'm doing laundry tonight.

So far, we've had predictions from anywhere from 3 - 12 inches of snow!  LOL.  Looks like winter wants to give one last roar before giving in to spring!

Saturday is supposed to be a nice day, so I'm going to get some shopping done that day, and then Sunday will just be lunch with the parents, and then spend the rest of the wet day at home.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14373 on: March 19, 2016, 09:23:52 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends!

How is everyone doing this weekend?

Spent Friday night at mom & dad's place.  I didn't want to deal with laundry on Sunday with potentially bad weather, so I decided to go there on Friday night instead.

Slept in on Saturday morning, watched some TV, did some shopping, took down the St. Patrick's Day stuff, and  put up the Easter stuff.

Now, I'm catching up online.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14374 on: March 20, 2016, 12:00:41 pm »
Slept in on Saturday morning, watched some TV, did some shopping, took down the St. Patrick's Day stuff, and  put up the Easter stuff.

I like how you always decorate for holidays!  :D

I had a less isolating weekend than usual. On Friday, I went to an event at which authors of books nominated for Minnesota Book Awards read from their work, followed by a little wine-and-cheese reception. The readings were entertaining. And I knew a few of the authors, so I schmoozed for a while afterward. Then I went home and had a long telephone chat with a friend in New Orleans -- we usually try to do that most Friday nights. On Saturday night, I went out to dinner with a couple of girlfriends. And in between, the ex kept stopping because his car is malfunctioning and he wanted to use mine, then he lost his phone and needed mine to find it, and later today he'll return the car and use my computer for a while (he's too cheap to pay for internet).

I'm trying to figure out ways to get out more, because I'm still really not digging this living alone (with Charlie) situation. I don't have family around like you, Chuck, and Lee, or a watering hole and church and leather club like Jeff. When my sons are away at school I have no family here, unless you count my ex. He calls most weekends, but otherwise some weekends I feel like the only human I'll talk to is maybe a grocery store cashier. I have some friends I can arrange to get together with now and then, but not what my son calls "friends to just kick it with."

I can't wait until my sons get home from school -- the first in mid-May and the second in mid-June. So the summer will be easier. But of course the day will come when they don't come home.

Meanwhile, though, my friend Lisa (one of the dinner companions) asked if I wanted to join her and possibly another friend to go to a Meet Up thing where you do life drawings. Meaning, nude models. I said sure -- I've done that before and it can be fun. I assume everybody would chip in to pay the model.

So I'm gradually trying to make changes that will at least put me in contact with other humans.

If I ever felt like I could get my sorry ass out the door on Sunday mornings, I might start going to the nearest Unitarian church.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14375 on: March 20, 2016, 05:27:42 pm »
Some weekends I feel like the only human I'll talk to is maybe a grocery store cashier.

And that is precisely why I'm driven to hang out at a bar, aka the watering hole, every Saturday night (recently, Fridays also, because of all the weekends I've been away visiting my dad), and made friends with the staff, and end up staying to hang out with them well past closing.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14376 on: March 20, 2016, 05:52:31 pm »
I like how you always decorate for holidays!  :D

I enjoy decorating my windows for the holidays, kind of a festive way of marking the passage of  time.

Regarding the rest of your posts, have you tried to Google some groups that enjoy doing what you do?   Like a women's hiking group or bowling group or such?  You could make some new friends that way.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14377 on: March 20, 2016, 07:53:43 pm »
Do you have an activities group in your city. I belong to the 60+ group (don't be put off by the name, I do not know your age but the constitution says you have to be over 40 although I think most members are over 50 because we are all at least partly retired, most activities are during weekdays.)
There are 4 walking groups of different fitness, I run the ramblers and sometimes go with the hikers. The trampers are far above my capability and the walkers are little too sedate. A movie club (3rd sunday), coffee and culture (usually an art gallery or museum 3rd friday) tavern lunch (4th Wednesday) monthly meeting (1st wednesday) There are other groups, book clubs, bus outings. mah jong, line dancing, craft, indoor bowls. When I moved to Dunedin 6 years ago I did not know anyone. Now with that and church I have more friends than at anytime since my university days. I perhaps knew more when working in high schools but the were not all friends.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14378 on: March 20, 2016, 09:39:50 pm »
Thanks, you guys, I have thought of some of those things and think I will start doing them. For the past year or so I've been working full time and then trying in my spare time to get a book proposal written (that I'll then start shopping around), plus getting my house cleaned up so that I can eventually move. So I tell myself I'm busy. In an ideal world, I would like to just have the presence of someone else around -- like a roommate or a commune or a spouse.

But I'm coming to think I have to just take the time and make more efforts at building outside communities -- whether through Meet Up groups or a church or whatever. A regular watering hole doesn't seem quite socially acceptable for women in the same way it does men. But I do have a bar within walking distance, so even that could be a possibility occasionally.

Of course, nothing is more lonely than sitting at a bar for a long time by yourself.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14379 on: March 20, 2016, 10:52:15 pm »
Of course, nothing is more lonely than sitting at a bar for a long time by yourself.  :-\

That's quite true. And even I have my nights at the watering hole--nights when I'm there too late because I have no one to socialize with until my friend Phil the head waiter and terror of the dining room  ;D  gets done work and gets his shift drink. And I imagine that it's true what you say about the social unacceptability of women hanging out in bars--I guess even the "regulars" at Cheers were men, weren't they?

Gosh, this is suddenly making me realize how fortunate I am, and I guess I'm now reaping the results of 30 years (come this November) of living in the Philadelphia Gayborhood, and last night was a good example: As soon as I walked into the bar, I ran into an old trick.  ::)  Then there was a couple from church, and a "brother" from my leather club who doesn't usually hang out there. I had a pleasant conversation with a total stranger that began because he asked me if the bar seat next to me was taken. (I said no, and he should grab it if he wanted to sit down before someone else did.) Then I finally met up with one of my usual drinkin' buddies--I had missed him in the crowd (apparently I walked right by him and didn't notice him.  ::) ) Then some other friends on the bar staff came in; they were off work because the lesbian daughter of the chief of security got married yesterday, and her father looked quite spiffy in a dinner jacket--never mind that he had spent Friday night pissing and moaning about how much he didn't want to go to his own daughter's wedding (he's gay so the lesbian part wasn't an issue). Then finally the terror of the dining room finished his shift, and we sat and chatted for a bit!  :laugh:

When I think about all this, it's kind of astonishing.  :-\  I guess I really do need to be more conscious--and grateful.