Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8862591 times)

Online CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14510 on: June 09, 2016, 12:21:38 pm »
lmao!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #14511 on: June 09, 2016, 02:20:56 pm »
Hello Bettermost Friends!

It's a quiet Thursday here on the job.  We're nearing the end of "spirit week" at the job.  Today was named as an extra "casual" day, so we're in jeans and "Santander" red shirts.

They've also arranged a small ice cream truck to show up and give us all ice cream.

:)

Nice way to end the week!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14512 on: June 09, 2016, 02:27:31 pm »
Today was named as an extra "casual" day, so we're in jeans and "Santander" red shirts.

We were given "company" shirts Thursday of last week. At least, some of us were. HR had no men's size Medium available. The smallest men's size available last week was a Large, and I was not the only guy who could have used the Large as a camping tent.  :laugh:  HR took names and phone extensions and said they would order Mediums.

And we had ice cream that day, too!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14513 on: June 09, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »
Watch Zodiac yet?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #14514 on: June 10, 2016, 11:05:54 am »
Watch Zodiac yet?

Watched it and reviewed it last weekend.  My review was basically replies to someone else's posts, so I'm pasting their posts in (in italics) so my review will make sense.

Now, I've just finished re-watching 'Zodiac', and while I still think it's (too?) long... it's such a well-made film. Such attention to detail (Fincher), such great performances (the three leads in particular) and so unsettling (the story in itself).

I didn't think it was too long at all, but perhaps that's because the Zodiac killings were a real experience for US citizens.  I also tend to enjoy horror/suspense films, so this was  something that I could enjoy.

Yes, there was definitely a lot of attention given to details, but I would suspect that would have to be true for this type of film, which is based on true events.  Otherwise, people would tear it apart over events that were "dramatized' or didn't happen at all, but appeared in the film.

I've watched it with the commentary of Jake, Robert Downey Jr. and three of the producers, hoping they'd give me some new insights, as I'm not immensely familiar with the Zodiac story - I only know this film and bits and pieces I've read online.

I've seen a few TV documentaries on the Zodiac story, so while I was certainly no expert going in, I did know the framework of it.

Anyone who would like to talk about Jake's performance in particular? I thought he handled it so well - his role asked for both naivety and obsession, and you could see how subtle it was done. I kept thinking: even then, ten years ago, this role was a blueprint for the work he's doing now. He may not have realized it back then, but it is.

I find it very interesting that you describe it as a 'framework' of what he's doing now.  When I went into this film, I wanted to see if I could find any parallels to his work on  Prisoners.   As you said, the naivety and obsession played against each other really well.

Scenes like this:

reminded me of Loki from Prisoners.....pouring over notes, looking for the missing piece.

Overall, it was a well  made film, and I can't think of any performance off-hand that I felt was out of place in the film.

I thought the way Jake portrayed Robert Graysmith was excellent. Even Graysmith ...who was present at most of the filming said "Jake nailed it (me)" and he said Mark Ruffolo went to visit David Toshi before filming started and "came back as  him " !!

The last scene....with Robert going into the hardware store "just to see and look Leigh in the eyes" ...it was just that one look that convinced Graysmith that him and the Police had been on the right track all the time.Jake played that scene really well.  You could feel the discomfort he was feeling being face to face with this man.

I just had to quote these part, Sue, because I agree with you.

I briefly studied acting in college, for a minor in the fine arts.  I had some scenes to do from a play, and I played an old plantation owner who didn't want to give up his slaves.  When critique time came, my professor told me "Chuck, you were gone.....I couldn't see anything of yourself in that performance, you were totally in character."

It's very difficult to do, as you have to suppress all your natural responses and quirks.  Jake was amazing in his ability to do this.    I'm not as familiar with Mark Ruffolo, so it was harder to discern this in his performance.

and yes, the last scene, discomfort is the way to put it.....I remember feeling like I was overhearing a conversation that wasn't meant for me.

Just a short comment about how menacing the musical score was. You hardly notice that it's there but it's constantly setting the mood without being intrusive. Chilling.

I'm glad that someone else mentioned the music!  Just like it's hard to imagine Brokeback without that strumming guitar, I can't imagine this film without the music setting the tone the way it did.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #14515 on: June 13, 2016, 09:08:19 am »

Well, back in my cubicle after a busy weekend.  I could use more sleep!  :laugh:

Thoughts and prayers going out to everyone in Orlando.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #14516 on: June 14, 2016, 09:53:27 am »

How is everyone doing today?

I've started drinking Red Bull in the morning, to get a bit of a kick.  I've never liked coffee, and occasionally drink tea, but RB seems to do the trick. 

Not the original flavor, which i think tastes horrid.  There are some new flavors out now, and both the Red Edition (cranberry) and Blue Edition (blueberry) are really tasty.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14517 on: June 14, 2016, 10:23:22 am »
I've started drinking Red Bull in the morning, to get a bit of a kick.  I've never liked coffee, and occasionally drink tea, but RB seems to do the trick. 

Not the original flavor, which i think tastes horrid.  There are some new flavors out now, and both the Red Edition (cranberry) and Blue Edition (blueberry) are really tasty.

I didn't know they made a cranberry-flavored version. I like cranberry juice, so maybe I should give it a try.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #14518 on: June 14, 2016, 02:26:43 pm »
I didn't know they made a cranberry-flavored version. I like cranberry juice, so maybe I should give it a try.

Yup, they do.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #14519 on: June 15, 2016, 09:12:16 am »

Happy Hump day to you all.

Hopefully it will be a quiet day.......there's some sort of portfolio meeting going on, and most of my team is in the meeting, so no one is around to bother me.

:)

Work has been going  pretty smoothly lately, and I'm very happy about that.  :)