Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8737531 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14520 on: June 16, 2016, 09:17:00 am »
Hello Bettermost Friends!

Helllo everyone!

Grey and rainy here today, but it's supposed to clear up later, and I'll be going to see  my friends' daughter in a baseball game.

:)

Weekend is looking to be a free one, other than going out for dinner for Father's Day.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14521 on: June 16, 2016, 01:03:31 pm »
Chuck, thank you for posting your Zodiac review.  Very perceptive.  ;)
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14522 on: June 17, 2016, 01:00:28 pm »

Hello Bettermost Friends!

Yup, Father's Day is upon us.  We'll be getting  together on Sunday for dinner to celebrate.  Little Trent won't be there, however, he, Shana and Derek are in Il, visiting  Derek's family.

My main supervisor (Tim) & immediate supervisor (Minh) are out today, and it is very quiet today, so I'm thinking about sneaking out at 4:00 instead of 4:30, and getting an early start on the weekend.

:)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #14523 on: June 17, 2016, 02:03:24 pm »
I'm thinking about sneaking out at 4:00 instead of 4:30

<---------Chuck

<------- Chuck's coworkers

<------ Chuck's boss

<------- Chuck after sneaking out

<------- what Chuck is hoping for at home

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline bentgyro

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14524 on: June 17, 2016, 03:43:25 pm »
Hope your shoes don't squeak! ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14525 on: June 18, 2016, 11:37:35 am »
Well God love ya, you were sure quick to critique!

:laugh:

I never realized this before, but "God love ya" is like the Northeastern version of "bless your heart."

I can't think of a Midwestern version. But we do have a few sayings that sound benign but are actually criticizing, like "well, that's different." That's what Midwesterners, or at least Minnesotans, say about art, food or whatever when they don't like it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14526 on: June 18, 2016, 11:49:07 am »
I never realized this before, but "God love ya" is like the Northeastern version of "bless your heart."

I can't think of a Midwestern version. But we do have a few sayings that sound benign but are actually criticizing, like "well, that's different." That's what Midwesterners, or at least Minnesotans, say about art, food or whatever when they don't like it.

:laugh: My father used to say, whenever he was asked if he liked my new dress, "Well, it sure is. . .blue!"

Chuck and all, I hope you have a great weekend, with all your hopes coming true! Me, I'm preparing for a Fathers Day BBQ: steak, corn on the cob, potato salad, and for dessert, strawberry shortcake made from scratch!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14527 on: June 18, 2016, 11:58:24 am »
The discussion of Zodiac made me wonder: When is the last time a serial killer -- a Zodiac, a Ted Bundy, a John Wayne Gacy, a Jeffrey Dahmer, a Son of Sam -- made the news? Maybe it's just me, but I can't remember hearing of any lately.

They seem to have become way overshadowed by mass murderers. I won't list those because they're already too sadly familiar.

If such a change has indeed occurred, it's neither a good thing or a bad thing, since of course both are horrible. But I wonder if there are any cultural reasons why mass murderers -- who at one time were really rare -- have supplanted serial killers as the current dominant evil. The availability of high-powered weapons probably has something to do with it, and maybe a copycat effect.

I remember reading an account by someone who grew up in, like, the 50s. One night his family heard about somebody shooting multiple people on a subway, and the family was so shocked and upset they couldn't eat dinner. Now it's become such a common occurrence that, while still deeply upsetting, it's rarely shocking. We go ahead and eat dinner now because otherwise we'd be skipping dinner every few weeks.

FWIW, I first learned of the Orlando shootings on the crawl of a TV set with the volume off in the breakfast area of my hotel. I asked the guy behind the counter where it had happened. He gave me the name of the city, then I ate breakfast. That evening, Meryl filled in a few more details as we consumed martinis and octopus.

I'm sorry if that sounds coldhearted. I think it's more like desensitized, unfortunately.  :-\  :'(

I remember a friend in a long phone conversation got annoyed with me because I didn't have some thoughtful comment about the Charleston shootings. I wish I did. But what's to say anymore? I used to rant about guns or bigotry, but those rants have been done millions of times by millions of people, and they don't change anything.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14528 on: June 18, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »
Me, I'm preparing for a Fathers Day BBQ: steak, corn on the cob, potato salad, and for dessert, strawberry shortcake made from scratch!

What father are you feting?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14529 on: June 18, 2016, 02:29:22 pm »
The BBQ is officially for my daughter's husband but my children's father (my ex) will be there too.

Erin's husband has had a tough year so far. His parents are not speaking to him at this time. Why? Politics.
"chewing gum and duct tape"