Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8681240 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15160 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:08 am »
What Chrissi said, exactly.

Black Friday, Black Week, Hallofuckingween, Valentines. It's all directly imported from USA  entirely for commercial reasons, and don't corresopond with any Swedish traditions whatsoever. But they have been pushed heavily for 10-15 years, and so are now part of the mainstream commercial life.

Except that the rest of the world isn't populated by sheep who have no choice but to obey the wishes of the retail industry. Why not just ignore them?

I would especially ignore Black Friday, because as I said, I assume that's a normal workday for everybody. Why would people flock to the stores on some arbitrary day instead of going to work?

I understand how American movies and McDonald's and so on tend to dominate, because other countries don't churn out movies in such high numbers and there probably isn't as much money to make gigantic blockbusters which usually aren't that good but are at least visually stimulating. And maybe some people like fast food burgers and fries, so there's that.

But if Valentine's Day and Halloween sound stupid, the solution is pretty easy -- don't participate! (Except, as Chrissi said, it's pretty hard to resist giving cute little kids candy. But Halloween here is far more over-the-top than that.)

A few years ago, American stores started opening their Black Friday sales on Thursday, Thanksgiving, a traditional family holiday celebrated by almost everyone (because it's not religion-specific). But a lot of people, myself included, were opposed. They thought it was bad for the employees to have to work on a family holiday (apparently some employees like it but I'm sure not all do). And some, myself included, even thought it was bad for shoppers, who again aren't forced to go out but maybe want to get there as soon as they can to score the best deals.

But then a few stores, seeing the public opposition, started proudly advertising that they WON'T be open on Thanksgiving day. I think they got enough support that more and more stores are joining them.

So the influence can go in both directions!  :D

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15161 on: November 27, 2017, 01:54:19 pm »
People seem to be addicted to shopping. I am not. I do like buying shirts and have to tell myself, I have enough even if they are on special. I do like to buy plants for my garden.

Last week I ordered an external hard drive as a gift for my sister from Harvey Norman, a major retail company in both Australia and NZ. I have just received the 4th email from them, there was nowhere on the email to unsubscribe. I sent them an email and told them a. I do not live in Australia and b. I rarely enter their NZ shop. (I did not say but the last time I went in was 2 years ago to buy my Nespresso machine which I love.)

When I was young, shops were open 9am to 5.30pm on weekdays and 9 to 12 Noon on Saturdays. We thought it was great when they brought in Thursday evening shopping. Now shops can open whenever they like except Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas day and on Anzac day before 12 noon.
The Government has just passed a law that local councils will make the decision for Easter Day as some tourist centres open. Dunedin is not a major tourist centre but next Easter Ed Sheeran will be putting on 3 concerts in our covered stadium so the retail sector is pressuring the council to allow East Sunday trading. I am not opposed for religious reasons but surely it is nice for families to have time together and do other things rather than shop and, of course, while shop assistants are suppose to have the right to refuse to work, I am sure that is only really in theory.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15162 on: November 27, 2017, 04:48:04 pm »
Except that the rest of the world isn't populated by sheep who have no choice but to obey the wishes of the retail industry. Why not just ignore them?

I would especially ignore Black Friday, because as I said, I assume that's a normal workday for everybody. Why would people flock to the stores on some arbitrary day instead of going to work?

I understand how American movies and McDonald's and so on tend to dominate, because other countries don't churn out movies in such high numbers and there probably isn't as much money to make gigantic blockbusters which usually aren't that good but are at least visually stimulating. And maybe some people like fast food burgers and fries, so there's that.

But if Valentine's Day and Halloween sound stupid, the solution is pretty easy -- don't participate! (Except, as Chrissi said, it's pretty hard to resist giving cute little kids candy. But Halloween here is far more over-the-top than that.)

A few years ago, American stores started opening their Black Friday sales on Thursday, Thanksgiving, a traditional family holiday celebrated by almost everyone (because it's not religion-specific). But a lot of people, myself included, were opposed. They thought it was bad for the employees to have to work on a family holiday (apparently some employees like it but I'm sure not all do). And some, myself included, even thought it was bad for shoppers, who again aren't forced to go out but maybe want to get there as soon as they can to score the best deals.

But then a few stores, seeing the public opposition, started proudly advertising that they WON'T be open on Thanksgiving day. I think they got enough support that more and more stores are joining them.

You are right, Katherine, that's exactly what I do!  ;D

According to the paper, there was a major traffic jam outside our biggest mall on Friday. People had to wait for hours in their cars before they could leave the parking house. I wonder if they thought it worth the bargains they (maybe) made....

But snarky comments aside, and even if I personally prefer to ignore all of those holidays; as we all know the big retail companies and their commercial muscles do have a major impact on a lot of people. Not only on shopping habits and what to buy, but now also on what holidays to celebrate and how. I find that quite sad and upsetting.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15163 on: November 27, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »
Our customs are spreading around the world.......we're  invasive that way!  :laugh:

I guess we have to deal with it when it comes to holidays. Just keep your orange plague to yourself! We don't want him!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15164 on: November 27, 2017, 07:17:44 pm »
I guess we have to deal with it when it comes to holidays. Just keep your orange plague to yourself! We don't want him!

Honey, even we don't want him!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15165 on: November 27, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »

That I agree with, and I refuse to go to any store on Thanksgiving.  Let the retail workers have a break and celebrate with their families.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15166 on: November 27, 2017, 07:22:48 pm »
The Government has just passed a law that local councils will make the decision for Easter Day as some tourist centres open. Dunedin is not a major tourist centre but next Easter Ed Sheeran will be putting on 3 concerts in our covered stadium so the retail sector is pressuring the council to allow East Sunday trading. I am not opposed for religious reasons but surely it is nice for families to have time together and do other things rather than shop and, of course, while shop assistants are suppose to have the right to refuse to work, I am sure that is only really in theory.

That's too bad, that the retailers may lose a day off.   I avoid doing shopping on any holiday, thinking that any money I spend  helps them make up their minds  to continue to open for the holiday.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15167 on: November 27, 2017, 08:43:23 pm »
I checked out the huge Thanksgiving paper, and made a decision not to patronize any stores that advertised guns. That made my holiday a very relaxed one!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15168 on: November 27, 2017, 09:09:37 pm »
You are right, Katherine, that's exactly what I do!  ;D

:D

But snarky comments aside, and even if I personally prefer to ignore all of those holidays; as we all know the big retail companies and their commercial muscles do have a major impact on a lot of people. Not only on shopping habits and what to buy, but now also on what holidays to celebrate and how. I find that quite sad and upsetting.

I guess. It's hard to separate here from general culture, which I do think shapes people's behavior, but retail is only part of that. I think it's easier to ignore what stores tell you unless everybody else -- your friends and family, celebrities, TV and movies, etc. etc. -- is telling you the same thing. From what I hear the U.S. retail industry is struggling. Which is why they're probably trying to expand their presence in other countries ...  :-\

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15169 on: November 28, 2017, 07:02:37 pm »
I checked out the huge Thanksgiving paper, and made a decision not to patronize any stores that advertised guns. That made my holiday a very relaxed one!

I saw on the news that for  Black Friday, there were 200,000 requests for background checks to purchase guns.

::)