Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8681391 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15450 on: March 19, 2018, 07:34:12 pm »
Haha! For all mixed drinks and spirits, I just have one. I'm kind of a wino, professionally so, since three wineries are my clients. I can drink a beer, but usually only in high summer. And I can drink hard cider, but usually only pear cider. Apple cider upsets my stomach. Among hard spirits, the only thing I can drink is gin, and then only one.

I've never been a big drinker.  I may have the occasional beer now.  If I'm in the mood for something sweet, I'll get a Mike's Hard Limeade or something along those lines.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15451 on: March 20, 2018, 12:22:16 am »
I have a glass of wine (currently pinot gris) almost every night while watching the news before dinner. I have just been on a hiking camp and we had happy hour every evening at 5pm so I had several glasses of wine. I may have a beer once a month usually with lunch in a hotel.
It is probably 40 years since I drank any sort of spirits and I do not remember every having a cocktail.  I sometimes have a port after dinner in winter.  I use to love liqueurs after a meal but roadside breath tests seem to be the end of those, it was no longer the right thing to do to offer them to your guests after dinner before they drove home.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15452 on: March 20, 2018, 05:44:28 pm »
Something within me has changed regarding alcohol consumption.

When I was younger, I could drink a six-pack of beer.

Now, if I drink more than two bottles, it gives me insomnia.  I can't sleep at all, and if I do fall asleep, it's very fitful.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15453 on: March 21, 2018, 09:57:40 am »
Good morning Bettermost!

Working from home today, due to the 4th Nor'easter that's hitting us now.   The roads are clear at the moment, but we're supposed to get slammed later, with the heaviest part of the storm hitting late afternoon into tomorrow morning.

I assume I'll be working from home tomorrow too.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15454 on: March 21, 2018, 05:28:15 pm »
Keep safe and warm, Chuck!

Good thing you're able to work from home.

Since I work in health care, I could never do that, no matter how bad the weather gets.

One winter, before I had a car, I simply couldn't get to work. The weather was so bad that the buses didn't run.
I had no other way to get there, so had to stay home. Along with quite a few of my coworkers who usually took the bus.
But we didn't get the day off, we had to use a vacation day for it.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15455 on: March 21, 2018, 09:45:05 pm »
Same for newspaper reporters. We often have to try to go in to cover the storm itself plus whatever else is going on.

Nowadays, I work at home most of the time regardless. But that's because I have a computer and can do it just as easily from here. And I wouldn't be covering a blizzard in my current position anyway.

But I remember one time years ago when I tried to get to work and my car got stuck in the street. Somebody from the newspaper came by in a huge SUV and picked me up, and a few others. Another of my coworkers got there on his cross-country skis.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15456 on: March 22, 2018, 05:41:24 pm »
Hello Bettermost!

Well today I went back to work.   The storm didn't hit the way they predicted, we only got about 6 inches of snow, instead of the predicted 12 - 15 inches.   By the time I woke to go to work, everything was melting.  I only had to clean off my car, the parking lot was pretty clean.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15457 on: March 22, 2018, 05:44:23 pm »
Since I work in health care, I could never do that, no matter how bad the weather gets.

One winter, before I had a car, I simply couldn't get to work. The weather was so bad that the buses didn't run.  I had no other way to get there, so had to stay home. Along with quite a few of my coworkers who usually took the bus.
But we didn't get the day off, we had to use a vacation day for it.

That stinks.  Before I had the laptop to work from home with, if the weather was bad, and I couldn't get in, I would have to use a vacation day as well.

Same for newspaper reporters. We often have to try to go in to cover the storm itself plus whatever else is going on.

Nowadays, I work at home most of the time regardless. But that's because I have a computer and can do it just as easily from here. And I wouldn't be covering a blizzard in my current position anyway.

But I remember one time years ago when I tried to get to work and my car got stuck in the street. Somebody from the newspaper came by in a huge SUV and picked me up, and a few others. Another of my coworkers got there on his cross-country skis.

Ugh, I can't imagine trying to get to work on cross country skies!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15458 on: March 22, 2018, 06:14:33 pm »
Ugh, I can't imagine trying to get to work on cross country skies!

Well, it's probably easier for someone who lives outside of Duluth, MN, than it would be where you live.  :laugh:

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15459 on: March 22, 2018, 08:49:19 pm »
In Dunedin the local 4WD club provides transport for essential hospital workers.