Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8910362 times)

Online CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #6130 on: May 17, 2009, 10:56:25 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday!

Got my car back last night, only $100.00 so I can't complain.  Oil change, oil filter change, and replaced the two headlights.

Heavy rains last night, big thunder too.  Now it's sunny and cool here.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6131 on: May 17, 2009, 11:03:33 am »
Wow! I'd think that headlight replacement would cost more than that! I need new windshield wipers! It has been raining almost nonstop around here.  :P

Happy Sunday!  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #6132 on: May 18, 2009, 07:02:14 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Back to Monday.  bleh!

Hope that everyone is well today.

I thought it would be more, Shasta, but I guess I was overestimating the cost.  Mind you, I'm not complaining.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #6133 on: May 18, 2009, 08:24:04 am »
Good morning Chuck and Happy Monday to you.  Im sending you positive vibes for a good week ahead.   :)

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6134 on: May 18, 2009, 08:34:25 am »
Hi ya Chucky

Hope you have a good Monday.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6135 on: May 18, 2009, 12:02:49 pm »
Well it has rained here non stop since I woke up. I should not moan as we need it badly, but the constant grey is deprssing. However I am feeling a bit flat after the weekend at Devs so I guess it matches my mood !!!
Uh oh the thunder has starte now, so I guess that will mean 90lbs of German Shepherd attempting to squeeze into a gap that snowy would struggle to fit into.!!! ;D

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #6136 on: May 18, 2009, 02:47:33 pm »
Well it has rained here non stop since I woke up. I should not moan as we need it badly, but the constant grey is deprssing. However I am feeling a bit flat after the weekend at Devs so I guess it matches my mood !!!  Uh oh the thunder has starte now, so I guess that will mean 90lbs of German Shepherd attempting to squeeze into a gap that snowy would struggle to fit into.!!! ;D

LOL!!!!!  That's some story, Fi!

Good morning Chuck and Happy Monday to you.  Im sending you positive vibes for a good week ahead.   :)

Hi ya Chucky

Hope you have a good Monday.

Wellllllllllllllllllll......it wasn't a bad day, but let's just say some not so good news came up.

Turns out the company is no longer doing lay offs, but is still in "cost saving" mode.  What they've decided to do now is stop the contributions to our 401k accounts.

For those who don't know or don't have one.......Some companies will have a 401K program that you use to save for retirement....and you put a portion of your paycheck in it, and the company will make a matching donation up to a certian percent.

My company did this, however, we all received an email today saying they would no longer do this after the middle of June.

I still plan to donate to it, as I know that if I stop, I'll spend the money.  At least this way it's going to my retirement.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #6137 on: May 18, 2009, 05:35:56 pm »
LOL!!!!!  That's some story, Fi!

Wellllllllllllllllllll......it wasn't a bad day, but let's just say some not so good news came up.

Turns out the company is no longer doing lay offs, but is still in "cost saving" mode.  What they've decided to do now is stop the contributions to our 401k accounts.

My company did this, however, we all received an email today saying they would no longer do this after the middle of June.

I still plan to donate to it, as I know that if I stop, I'll spend the money.  At least this way it's going to my retirement.

That really sucks!  I bet it got a lot of people in your office are really pissed.  But then again with your company, and all their layoffs, your lucky to have your job.  But what they've done now does suck.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6138 on: May 18, 2009, 05:47:47 pm »
Just watch your 401k like a hawk .My husband had a pension scheme which is pretty similar to the 401k and the company he worked for made monthly contributions which he added to. Long story short, before the law was changed in England, the outgoing directors raided the "pot". IN those days you were allowed to do that and had 7 years to reimburse it. They couldn't and even when the company was sold with the proviso that the new directors would make good the defecit, nothing happened.
The sheme went into bancruptcy and 22 years of contributions were gone, just like that. Pension laws have since been changed but too late for my husband, so watch yours very carefully.Maybe even consider asking a financial advisor to check it out.
I would hate to see what happened to my husband happen to anyone else.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6139 on: May 18, 2009, 07:18:03 pm »
We call those pension schemes...Superannuation.......

About 10years ago, the government of the day passed a law, that it was compulsory for ALL EMPLOYERS to contribute 9% of an employers gross wage to a Superannuation Scheme.

This was NOT taken out of the employers salary, but was an added 9% that companies had to contribute for every employer who earned over $300 per week. If the employee also wanted to conribute they could do so, any amount they wanted to.

These contributions are invested in interest bearing investment companies, and the employee gets the interest, less adminstration costs. Up until the last couple of years, people were getting very high interest and their superanuatio funds were rising rapidly, but over the past year or so, they have really dropped and some have even lost money.

It is only collectable on retirement, either in a lump sum or as an ongoing weekly income for the retiree.

The purpose of the government starting up this scheme, was to put in place a programme where retirees would be self funded, and not draw on the aged pension which is available here to all people of retirement age and is given out by the government. The aged pension is means tested, so if someone is getting an income from their superannuation fund, then they would not qualify for the aged pension. There are also tax incentives to save for retirement, and for money people put in a superannuation fund. People can have their own private "super fund" as long as it is regulated the same as the big ones.

As you can imagine, there are trillions of dollars in varying super funds, and some people who have changed jobs have money in several funds, which they can combine if they wish to. Many people who have had lots of different jobs, actually lose track of where their super money has gone. Accounts are sent out once a year, but they also can still not find the owner if they have changed address, which so often happens.

From our view as a small business when we owned the pet shop, we found having to find another 9% of any wages we paid, and send it off to a superanuuaton fund, was an expense that was quite overbearing. Considering the fact that at one time we had a 19 year old working for us, who we had to contribute $50 a week for, which was not going to be able to be collected by him for another 50 odd years.

There are millions and millions of dollars that will probably never be collected....and that is just not right.

On the other hand, there will also be much that is collected, and so there will be less paid out by the governement in old age pensions, over the next decades.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection