Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8904831 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #7630 on: February 02, 2010, 07:46:39 am »
Darn, just had an update for the 'compatibility view' in Explorer 8 ... and it's doing strange things to BetterMost.

(Guess it might clear up when I re-boot).

Hiya Rob....sounds like a problem IO was having a while ago with both Dave Cullen Forum and BetterMost.

The "text box" where I would type messages would "jump" if I was doing a lot of typing, and signature lines and images would "go over" the borders of a post, and appear in the posts below.

At the top of your computer screen, you should see three buttons next to your address box. 

If you click the one that's circled, you should get the message that the arrow is pointing to, and it should stop the issues.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7631 on: February 02, 2010, 09:53:08 am »
RAs (Relationship Assistants).

Sounds like a marriage counselor. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7632 on: February 02, 2010, 09:59:37 am »

Hiya Rob....sounds like a problem IO was having a while ago with both Dave Cullen Forum and BetterMost.

The "text box" where I would type messages would "jump" if I was doing a lot of typing, and signature lines and images would "go over" the borders of a post, and appear in the posts below.

At the top of your computer screen, you should see three buttons next to your address box. 

If you click the one that's circled, you should get the message that the arrow is pointing to, and it should stop the issues.

Thank you Chuck! :D :-*
I had the same problems after switching to IE 8. Thus I switched my browser yet again to Google Chrome. Anyway, I'll go back to IE and try your trick. Hope it'll work for me.

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7633 on: February 02, 2010, 11:19:31 am »
Good morning, Chuck.

Couldn't log on to Dave Cullen just now, so Good Morning over here.

Hope your conference call and meeting go quickly.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #7634 on: February 02, 2010, 12:12:50 pm »
Hiya Chuck, I'm having the same type of problems ever since downloading IE8 three weeks ago.  The home page is frozen as it was on Jan 11, and when I click on "show unread posts since last visit", it only brings up the two that were unread as of Jan 11 and I have to then click on "show all unread posts".  Sometimes they are viewable then, and sometimes I get heiroglyphics (sp?).  Originally when I had the problem, the "show new replies to your posts" button didn't work either, but Chrissie helped me get that fixed.  The weird thing is, and forgive me, but I'm not real savvy when it comes to computers, is that I don't enter this site thru IE; I open it up thru AOL.  I never even open up IE to see all the sites I look at, so I can't understand it.  Anyway, after seeing your post, I *did* open up IE8, and went in and listed this site under "Compatibility View".  I then closed BM, and reopened it, to no change.  I then shut down my computer, and restarted it, to no change.  I'm THIS close to removing IE8 entirely, as it's very frustrating having to go back and forth and click a hundred buttons just to see what the BM folks are doing twice a day.  Any suggestions?  Thanks buddy.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7635 on: February 02, 2010, 01:27:12 pm »
Geeeez......I'm sorry Mandy, but I have no clue.

I was not having as severe issues as you were, they were very mild compared to what you are going through.

It seems that a lot of people are having some major crap with IE8.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #7636 on: February 02, 2010, 05:35:32 pm »
Thanks Chuck.

There is a solution, apparently.

When I upgraded to IE8 6 months ago, I noticed when I was writing a post longer than the text window the bottom kept rolling down so I couldn't see what I was typing.
After clicking on the 'compatibility view' button, the problem was solved, but then the button disappeared, and I still had odd problems.
I know Sue (Katie 77) had same problem, but compatibility view didn't seem to work for her.
Yesterday I downloaded an update for IE8 from the Microsoft site, that apparently fixes things.
I had to re-start to initiate it properly, and it's now working fine.  :)

IE8 was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to Apple's Safari browser (which is great), but it seems websites had to update to fall into line with Microsoft, rather than Microsoft writing IE8 to accomodate other people. Even my banking site was 'incompatible' for a while.
A bit like car manufacturers. When things break down, you're stuck with buying their parts, on their terms.
But that's big business, I guess.  :-\

Have a restful night, those who are not into Wednesday yet.  :)
As for us down here, I'd better start work for the day.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #7637 on: February 02, 2010, 06:19:15 pm »
Hey,
That problem I had with not being able to see what I was typing in a post, seems to have fixed itself. I didn't do anything, that I can remember.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline dejavu

« Reply #7638 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:03 pm »
Hey,
That problem I had with not being able to see what I was typing in a post, seems to have fixed itself. I didn't do anything, that I can remember.

Hey, Sue! 

I had that same problem when I got IE8, but the fix that Chuck outlined earlier (the "broken page" button just to right of the URL address) fixed it for me.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #7639 on: February 03, 2010, 03:29:13 am »
Hey,

If your system is set to automatically download updates from Microsoft (which they set as the default setting on new systems), it would happen without you even knowing about it. Must be the same update I got manually.  :)