Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8861221 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #14630 on: August 19, 2016, 11:33:26 am »
I work at home all the time so I have a laptop that I have to lug back and forth and it's a huge pain. Literally -- I think carrying that 20-lb. thing in and out of the building, including a huge flight of stairs, has aggravated my chronic lower-back pain (I'm usually also carrying a purse, my lunch, a bottle of water, etc.). I've started taking the elevator when I'm carrying it up in the morning.

I've seen people using those rolling briefcases, but I haven't gone that far yet.

It probably has aggravated your back pain. Have you considered trying a back pack made for laptops? If you're carrying that much weight, it might help your back to keep the load balanced. A back pack might do that.

Every once in a while, I get tired of carrying a back pack, and I try to use a brief case, messenger bag, or something of that nature. I just can't hang one of those off one shoulder; the way I'm built, they just fall off my shoulder.  :laugh:  Instead, I have to use a strap that goes across my body, but when I do that, it doesn't take very long before my back starts bothering me, and I figure it's because the load isn't balanced--and I'm not even carrying a 20-lb. laptop, just lunch, reading matter, gym gear, etc.

I don't want to go to a rolling briefcase. The Philadelphia sidewalks don't seem to be conducive to wheeled luggage. Even when I travel with a carry-on with wheels, I carry the carry-on to the taxi or train station!  :laugh:

Oh, and, typically, things are not going well with setting up my coworker's new laptop. Among other things, there is a particular application that she needs (eventually everyone on our team will probably need it), and it wouldn't work on her new machine. The guy from Desktop Services told her, "Oh, we don't support that."  ::)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 05:19:01 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14631 on: August 21, 2016, 02:44:04 pm »
It probably has aggravated your back pain. Have you considered trying a back pack made for laptops? If you're carrying that much weight, it might help your back to keep the load balanced. A back pack might do that.

Every once in a while, I get tired of carrying a back pack, and I try to use a brief case, messenger bag, or something of that nature. I just can't hang one of those off one shoulder; the way I'm built, they just fall off my shoulder.  :laugh:  Instead, I have to use a strap that goes across my body, but when I do that, it doesn't take very long before my back starts bothering me, and I figure it's because the load isn't balanced--and I'm not even carrying a 20-lb. laptop, just lunch, reading matter, gym gear, etc.

I don't want to go to a rolling briefcase. The Philadelphia sidewalks don't seem to be conducive to wheeled luggage. Even when I travel with a carry-on with wheels, I carry the carry-on to the taxi or train station!  :laugh:

I hadn't thought about a backpack -- great idea, Chuck! That might really help. I got this briefcase-shaped computer case for free from one of my jobs, so I just started using it. But more and more I think that if it isn't the whole cause of my back pain it certainly isn't helping.

And I carry my computer in an opposite environment -- one of my jobs (the one I have to haul the computer back and forth to) is way out in the suburbs. It has a big parking lot that's pretty well maintained. But inevitably there are rainy or snowy days when there are pools of water on the asphalt -- also not ideal for a rolling case.

I'll look into the backpack option!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14632 on: August 21, 2016, 05:24:49 pm »
I hadn't thought about a backpack -- great idea, Chuck!
]

Umm. You're welcome!  :laugh:

You might check out http://www.ebags.com. You might be able to find something that fits your laptop at a good price.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #14633 on: August 21, 2016, 09:38:04 pm »
Jeff with the helping hand!!!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14634 on: August 22, 2016, 01:21:09 pm »
Hello Bettermost Friends!

Yes, we have about a month until Autumn comes, but it paid a visit today.  when I woke this morning, it was cool, the breeze was blowing some fallen leaves around, and it just felt like autumn.

:)

Soon.....pumpkin spice stuff shall return.  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14635 on: August 22, 2016, 02:48:37 pm »
Well Daffodils are coming up in my garden.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14636 on: August 23, 2016, 02:02:54 pm »

Hello Bettermost Friends!

Still dealing with computer madness at my station!  LOL

Oh well, the good thing is that I've managed to get some of the software installed that I needed too, so I have begun the downloading process.

I'm tired already!  I can't believe it's only Tuesday, I want it to be Friday!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14637 on: August 25, 2016, 02:56:08 pm »
Umm. You're welcome!  :laugh:

You might check out http://www.ebags.com. You might be able to find something that fits your laptop at a good price.

Oops!  :-X :laugh:  Thanks Jeff, I mean.

I'll look at the selection on eBags, thanks! Maybe I can find something cool enough to make me look more hip. Always a concern, of course.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14638 on: August 25, 2016, 03:47:54 pm »
better hip than "dip".  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14639 on: August 25, 2016, 04:10:04 pm »
Oops!  :-X :laugh:  Thanks Jeff, I mean.

;D

I'll look at the selection on eBags, thanks! Maybe I can find something cool enough to make me look more hip. Always a concern, of course.

Absolutely!  :D