Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8734615 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15110 on: October 11, 2017, 10:38:34 pm »
Hear, hear. I'm not Italian but was married to one and have an Italian last name. Didn't Columbus sail under the Spanish flag, anyway?

In my years in Philadelphia I've seen the Columbus Day Parade shrink. It used to close all of South Broad Street. Now it's just down in South Philadelphia, which still has a number of Italian neighborhoods. It's as though it's become an Italian thing.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15111 on: October 12, 2017, 02:39:31 pm »
In my years in Philadelphia I've seen the Columbus Day Parade shrink. It used to close all of South Broad Street. Now it's just down in South Philadelphia, which still has a number of Italian neighborhoods. It's as though it's become an Italian thing.

Which seems fine. In Minnesota they have a holiday called St. Urho's Day. It's not a legal holiday, but it kind of competes with St. Patrick's Day. It commemorates some Scandinavian guy, and not being Scandinavian I can't get too into it. It's not widely celebrated, anyway -- it's not like everybody runs out and eats lutefisk and drinks Aquavit on SUD.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15112 on: October 12, 2017, 04:49:29 pm »
Which seems fine. In Minnesota they have a holiday called St. Urho's Day. It's not a legal holiday, but it kind of competes with St. Patrick's Day. It commemorates some Scandinavian guy, and not being Scandinavian I can't get too into it. It's not widely celebrated, anyway -- it's not like everybody runs out and eats lutefisk and drinks Aquavit on SUD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Urho

Apparently St. Urho's Day has something in common with International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15113 on: October 12, 2017, 07:03:45 pm »
I'm hearing a lot of Italians  say that it's "their day" to celebrate their heritage.

I want to say that if it were true, it  would be "Italian" day, not Columbus Day.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15114 on: October 12, 2017, 10:09:57 pm »
I'm hearing a lot of Italians  say that it's "their day" to celebrate their heritage.

I want to say that if it were true, it  would be "Italian" day, not Columbus Day.

There is a separate festival for that here. It centers in and around our famous Italian Market.

(Which seems to be rapidly becoming more Asian than Italian.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:03:39 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15115 on: October 13, 2017, 09:58:56 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Urho

Apparently St. Urho's Day has something in common with International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

;D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I never paid it much attention one way or another. It's not even a big deal with actual festivities or anything -- just something I'd heard about over the years. When I wrote the previous post, I wasn't even sure how to spell it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15116 on: October 14, 2017, 10:30:36 pm »
There is a separate festival for that here. It centers in and around our famous Italian Market.

Yes, in this area there is an annual San Gennaro festival.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15117 on: October 18, 2017, 10:55:08 am »
Hiya Bettermost friends!

Been home from work  the  past few days.  I took Monday off as a "mental health" day, and then Monday evening suddenly developed a bladder infection.

::)

End result was  no work yesterday or today, but I will go back tomorrow,  I'm feeling much better  now.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15118 on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:35 am »
Monday evening suddenly developed a bladder infection.

::)

End result was  no work yesterday or today, but I will go back tomorrow,  I'm feeling much better  now.

Oh, ouch!  :(

Glad you're feeling better.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15119 on: October 19, 2017, 09:37:13 pm »
Oh, ouch!  :(

Glad you're feeling better.  :)

Thank you buddy!   :-*

definitely not fun, but on the mend, and went back to work today!