Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8738725 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15140 on: October 30, 2017, 10:15:08 am »
I thought the frozen shrimp was even better than fresh. When fresh shrimp goes on sale, you can bet it's not all that fresh.  Don't remember the brand.

Well, hard to say. That's a good point -- it would be a motivation to put them on sale. But I happen to shop in upscale grocery stores because there are two that are much closer to me than the bargain store and I'm lazy. I don't think they'd stay upscale very long if they sold shrimp that was noticeably not fresh. I think they may use good ones as loss leaders.

I'm thinking of being a fancy witch this year and wearing a black cocktail dress that I have, mostly because I probably will have no other opportunity to wear that dress.

That sounds nice! Where are you wearing it?

I hear you, friend! You can actually get deviled eggs at the store nowadays. It's usually $10 or $12 for 24. But I think it's still too much trouble because people eat a half egg in one bite. $10 for 24 bites of food? It doesn't go far enough for my taste.

Oh right, I forgot about the store-bought option (though chopping the kalamatas into tiny legs would still be too much trouble). I have bought those store-made deviled eggs on a number of occasions as a splurge. I used to go to Whole Foods and get their pesto ones.

The thing about the kalamata spiders is that not only is it too much trouble for the cook, it's kind of gross for the guests. I'm a little wary of homemade food from people I don't know well. But when you add in the factor of doing fussy little things by hand with food that doesn't subsequently get cooked ... ehhh.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15141 on: October 30, 2017, 11:02:32 am »
I have a witches hat that I get out every year. It makes a statement and all you have to do is wear regular black clothes. I'm thinking of being a fancy witch this year and wearing a black cocktail dress that I have, mostly because I probably will have no other opportunity to wear that dress. Broom optional.

Samantha Stevens! Yay! I'm mean, really yay; I loved Elizabeth Montgomery. The costume sounds very much like the outfit Samantha wears in the cartoon opening of Bewitched!, which begins with Samantha riding a broom.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15142 on: October 31, 2017, 09:37:57 am »
Samantha Stevens! Yay! I'm mean, really yay; I loved Elizabeth Montgomery. The costume sounds very much like the outfit Samantha wears in the cartoon opening of Bewitched!, which begins with Samantha riding a broom.

Hey, there's an idea! I'll wear a sweater and nice pants, some pearls (can I borrow yours, Chuck?), hair smoothly waved. I'll be going as Samantha Stevens the housewife!

I've probably shared my view of Bewitched as a pre-feminist allegory, right?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15143 on: October 31, 2017, 10:15:24 am »
I've probably shared my view of Bewitched as a pre-feminist allegory, right?

I remember this. It just occurred to me that I don't remember if you specifically addressed Endora. There was a powerful--literally--woman. She certainly led a life completely apart from Samantha's father.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15144 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:43 pm »
Hey, there's an idea! I'll wear a sweater and nice pants, some pearls (can I borrow yours, Chuck?), hair smoothly waved. I'll be going as Samantha Stevens the housewife!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15145 on: November 01, 2017, 11:07:49 am »
I remember this. It just occurred to me that I don't remember if you specifically addressed Endora. There was a powerful--literally--woman. She certainly led a life completely apart from Samantha's father.

She's also hateful in all of the classic mother-in-law ways, plus magic. I think the first part was a pretty established pre-feminist stereotype. And even mortal MILs would have to be powerful in some way -- mainly, witchy bitchy -- in order to exert their evil influence. The concept of powerful evil women had been around since at least the witch-persecuting days.

I think Samantha's parents were divorced or at least estranged, right?

I think this allegory fits really well, but it's hard to know what the show's creators intended as a message. They seemed to just be reinforcing soon-to-be-dated views of a woman's rightful place being in the home, not performing magic doing work that might give her more power. It's weird, because Samantha often saves the day with her own spells. But the show's creators seemed to think Darren's insistence that she never use magic and Samantha's usual contented obedience is the way things should be.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15146 on: November 01, 2017, 12:42:23 pm »
I think Samantha's parents were divorced or at least estranged, right?

Probably just estranged and living separate lives. For centuries. ...  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15147 on: November 04, 2017, 08:04:48 pm »
Probably just estranged and living separate lives. For centuries. ...  :laugh:

I don't know that anyone  could take living with Endora on a permanent basis.  She always had to be right, and use her powers on you when you disagree with her.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15148 on: November 04, 2017, 09:36:15 pm »
I don't know that anyone  could take living with Endora on a permanent basis.  She always had to be right, and use her powers on you when you disagree with her.

Hunh. I know a lot of gay men who could make Endora look like a cheap knock-off.  8)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15149 on: November 05, 2017, 09:27:25 pm »
Hunh. I know a lot of gay men who could make Endora look like a cheap knock-off.  8)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: