Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8739334 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15240 on: December 13, 2017, 07:41:36 pm »
We were just talking about this at lunch at work. How hard are ugly sweaters to find? One year I was working at Macy's and a guy came in looking for an ugly sweater. I said, we have plenty of ugly sweaters, but not as ugly as the kind you're looking for. But a guy at work says he found a bunch of them at Goodwill. I'm surprised, because I would imagine they're in such demand that they don't have many and they fly off the racks.

Target sells  them.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15241 on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:09 pm »
Target sells  them.

Good to know, thanks! I haven't been to Target in a while.

I went out to do some preliminary Christmas scouting around tonight. I went to a fancy boutique by my house and also to World Market. Anything that looked even mildly interesting at the fancy boutique seemed overpriced. World Market is cheaper and I bought a couple of stocking stuffers there, but it seems bleaker and skimpier than it used to.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15242 on: December 15, 2017, 10:32:14 am »
Mr Pibb is (or was, haven't seen it in decades) fake Dr Pepper.

Note that neither title has a period. I've known for years that was true of Dr Pepper, but I just now looked up Mr Pibb to see if it followed suit, and not only did I see a can label that did not contain a period, but I found this, "The Sad Story of Mr. [sic] Pibb and Pibb Xtra":

http://theplaincheese.com/flashback-sad-story-mr-pibb/

In last night's episode of the TV show Mom, Mr. Pibb was mentioned!  :laugh:

I think it may been meant ironically.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15243 on: December 15, 2017, 10:30:19 pm »
I can't remember the last  time I heard someone mention Mr. Pibb.

NJ used to have a brand called C & C Soda that had a variety of flavors, but I'm not sure if it's made any more.  It was all the traditional stuff, cola, lemon/lime, orange, grape, ginger ale, black cherry.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15244 on: December 16, 2017, 01:21:29 am »
I can't remember the last  time I heard someone mention Mr. Pibb.

Oh, sure you can. It's on your own blog from December 6.  ;D  ;)

NJ used to have a brand called C & C Soda that had a variety of flavors, but I'm not sure if it's made any more.  It was all the traditional stuff, cola, lemon/lime, orange, grape, ginger ale, black cherry.

In Provincetown in October I had a really good root beer that the woman who served it to me said was locally--New England--made. Of course I've forgotten the name.  ::)

I couldn't find a location for the manufacturer on the bottle.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15245 on: December 16, 2017, 10:30:36 am »

We had a few of those brands, too. Elf and Shasta and maybe one other.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15246 on: December 16, 2017, 11:55:55 am »
We had a few of those brands, too. Elf and Shasta and maybe one other.

We had Shasta around here, too. We may still have it. I never drank it, so I don't particularly look for it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15247 on: December 16, 2017, 05:46:50 pm »
We had  Shasta, but it seemed to fall out of favor,  I  think there were stories that the flavoring it caused cancer, or the sweetener did.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15248 on: December 17, 2017, 10:37:34 am »
The Shasta we had was sweetened with regular sweetener. Probably sugar back in them days, right?

My mom got those off-brands because every week when she went to the store she would get like 14 cans of pop for me and my brother and probably wanted to save money. We could drink as much pop and eat as many snacks and watch as much TV as we wanted! Today, my parents would be considered borderline abusive.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15249 on: December 17, 2017, 03:20:40 pm »
The Shasta we had was sweetened with regular sweetener. Probably sugar back in them days, right?

My mom got those off-brands because every week when she went to the store she would get like 14 cans of pop for me and my brother and probably wanted to save money. We could drink as much pop and eat as many snacks and watch as much TV as we wanted! Today, my parents would be considered borderline abusive.

Yes, it was regular sugar, and I could be incorrect about the name brand that had the cancer rumor.   It could've been that the cancer story was about the sweetener aspartame.