Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8737868 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15430 on: March 16, 2018, 09:14:38 am »

What exactly were the Ides of March? I mean, before they acquired historical significance via Caesar? What did they signify? How did one celebrate?

I'm more into St. Patrick's Day, myself. Not to go to an Irish bar and drink Guinness and Jameson (though that doesn't sound too bad) but to make a corned beef and cabbage dinner. I don't think I did that last year, but most years I have done it.

Years ago, a woman I was interviewing told me she had a great recipe for corned beef. The ingredients included half a can of Guinness.

"The only problem is, then you're stuck with half a can and I don't know know what you would do with that," she said.

I looked at her. She was serious.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15431 on: March 16, 2018, 09:23:17 am »
What exactly were the Ides of March? I mean, before they acquired historical significance via Caesar? What did they signify? How did one celebrate?

I always figured it was just the middle of the month, more or less, but apparently a lot more went on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ides_of_March

I'm more into St. Patrick's Day, myself. Not to go to an Irish bar and drink Guinness and Jameson (though that doesn't sound too bad) but to make a corned beef and cabbage dinner. I don't think I did that last year, but most years I have done it.

CB&C is good. I once went to a restaurant that advertised it was featuring it as a special for St. Patrick's Day. It was pretty good. I paired it with a glass of Jameson's (Irish whiskey). The Jameson's was good, too, but not good enough for me to give up scotch.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15432 on: March 16, 2018, 05:59:39 pm »

Hello Bettermost friends!

;D

Looks to be a decent weekend!  ;D  I hope the weather holds, but predictions of a Nor'easter for Tuesday/Wednesday is predicted, and they can't say how much snow (if any) we'll get.

Going to my parents' place on Saturday to celebrate birthdays.  :D  Both of my brothers didn't celebrate their bdays this year (Feb and March) due to snow, flu, and other issues.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15433 on: March 16, 2018, 06:08:52 pm »

Years ago, a woman I was interviewing told me she had a great recipe for corned beef. The ingredients included half a can of Guinness.

"The only problem is, then you're stuck with half a can and I don't know know what you would do with that," she said.

I looked at her. She was serious.

I generally don't go out for St. Patrick's Day......I'd rather stay home and avoid the crazy drunks to come out for days like this.  :laugh:

I always figured it was just the middle of the month, more or less, but apparently a lot more went on:

CB&C is good. I once went to a restaurant that advertised it was featuring it as a special for St. Patrick's Day. It was pretty good. I paired it with a glass of Jameson's (Irish whiskey). The Jameson's was good, too, but not good enough for me to give up scotch.

Interesting info on the Ides.  Thanks Jeff!

I never liked CB&C, so I've avoided it on this holiday.  I have had soda bread, but I don't like raisins, so I tend to pick them out.  LOL

This week I went to Zinburger with some coworkers, and for the holiday, their "Burger of the Week" was a Shepherd’s Pie Burger.   Fresh ground Certified Angus Beef patty, roasted corn, mushy peas, whipped potato, GUINNESS braised onions and Cheddar cheese.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15434 on: March 16, 2018, 07:22:41 pm »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15435 on: March 16, 2018, 08:20:41 pm »
I'm with you, Jeff!   I wouldn't touch it, but I'm sure others would.

I can't judge, though.   Last time I went to Zinburger, I got a breakfast burger.   A burger topped with cheese, a fried egg, bacon, and avocado.

It was yummy!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15436 on: March 16, 2018, 09:44:33 pm »

Interesting that their day for paying debts was exactly one month before our day for paying taxes.

CB&C is good. I once went to a restaurant that advertised it was featuring it as a special for St. Patrick's Day. It wa pretty good. I paired it with a glass of Jameson's (Irish whiskey). The Jameson's was good, too, but not good enough for me to give up scotch.

Yeah, I actually like Jameson's better than Guinness. Also better than scotch, which is one of the few spirits I dislike.  :P

I generally don't go out for St. Patrick's Day......I'd rather stay home and avoid the crazy drunks to come out for days like this.  :laugh:p

I know. I feel the same way about New Year's Eve.

I have had soda bread, but I don't like raisins, so I tend to pick them out.  LOL

Me neither! I feel like I'd like soda bread if they didn't put those damn raisins in.

This week I went to Zinburger with some coworkers, and for the holiday, their "Burger of the Week" was a Shepherd’s Pie Burger.   Fresh ground Certified Angus Beef patty, roasted corn, mushy peas, whipped potato, GUINNESS braised onions and Cheddar cheese.

I'd probably try it, for the festivity of it. It sounds ... novel. And the only thing in it I'm not that crazy about is mushy peas. I mean, peas are fine, but ... mushy? Could they leave those out? But I'd probably dare eat it anyway.

I always think shepherd's pie should be made with lamb. But even in the regular old recipes, it's usually beef. Lamb is more expensive, but I think it would be better.

What's the Brokie line? "We came here to watch the sheep, not eat 'em"?

I can't judge, though.   Last time I went to Zinburger, I got a breakfast burger.   A burger topped with cheese, a fried egg, bacon, and avocado.

It was yummy!

That sounds delicious! A thin layer of hashbrowns might be nice in that, as well!

I could eat almost anything with an egg on it. Which is good, because eggs are one of the cheapest foods for the amount of nutrition you get. Even free-range eggs are a bargain -- even then, you can make two for less than a dollar.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15437 on: March 17, 2018, 10:05:12 am »
What's the Brokie line? "We came here to watch the sheep, not eat 'em"?

It's been a while, but I think it's, "We're s'posed to guard the sheep, not eat'em."

I could eat almost anything with an egg on it. Which is good, because eggs are one of the cheapest foods for the amount of nutrition you get. Even free-range eggs are a bargain -- even then, you can make two for less than a dollar.

And to think it wasn't so very long ago we were advised against eating eggs because of cholesterol.

I have an egg for breakfast at least twice a week, paired with turkey sausage patties. If I can't decide what I want to eat, say, for Sunday supper, eggs are pretty much my go-to, sometimes just fried, other times as an omelet.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15438 on: March 17, 2018, 12:27:35 pm »
Hello Bettermost friends!

;D

Clear blue skies here, but as they say, it's the calm before the storm.  Nor'easter is coming next week, not sure how much snow we are getting.

Me neither! I feel like I'd like soda bread if they didn't put those damn raisins in.

If they could just make it raisin-less, I'd happily eat it.   :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15439 on: March 17, 2018, 12:34:01 pm »

So, this is the coffee table/ottoman that I have in my living room.

The top lifts up, and comes forward flat, to chest level, when I'm sitting, so I can use it as a dinner table, and watch TV while  I eat.

As you can see, the top has become worn.  I've tried a few different cleaners on it, but none of them worked.  Aside from the top, it is still in great condition.