Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8745323 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16530 on: June 19, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »
Great to catch up  with you friend! I also look forward to your Dad jokes and Pride Month cards on fb. I'm glad you can stay close with your family during these crazy times. Today I met with my traveling buddies who I'm going to Europe with (hopefully) in mid-August. We've kind of put off looking at the lodging photos and the itinerary because we didn't want to get our hopes up too much. But if all goes well, we'll be visiting nine countries! England, France, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy and Spain. Oh, and San Marino!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16531 on: June 19, 2020, 06:26:25 pm »
"Today I met with my traveling buddies who I'm going to Europe with (hopefully) in mid-August."
I find this unbelievable. I had hoped to visit my sister in Australia in September or October. I have the airline ticket vouchers. However It is looking increasingly unlikely as some parts of Australia still have new cases.   
Everyone in both Australia and New Zealand now believes we will not be allowed to fly to Europe or North America before 2021, same say 2022. Again I have airline vouchers but will not even think about any plans or a new itinerary until January at the earliest.
New Zealand allows returning citizens to arrive and be quarantined for 2 weeks. We had over 21 days without any new cases and there was not a single case left in the country. Then 2 women, who had arrived from the UK, were allowed out on compassionate grounds after 4 or 5 days as their mother died and they drove from Auckland to Wellington to stay with their Father. They then tested positive and the s.. hit the fan.  They have had to trace and test 350 contacts and it has cost a fortune plus the people in charge have had to apologise and the Prime Minister was furious.  Now no-one is allowed to leave quarantine for compassionate reasons and the military has been put in charge of quarantine.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16532 on: June 20, 2020, 10:08:47 am »
But if all goes well, we'll be visiting nine countries! England, France, Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy and Spain. Oh, and San Marino!

Wow, that's a lot! How long were you planning to be there?

(If you ever do go to Spain, be sure to contact Natali. She's in Madrid and we went to Barcelona for just a couple of days so we weren't able to meet in person, but she sent me all kinds of useful information. And I can't recommend Barcelona highly enough -- at least as of 2013.)

Could you go to Sweden? I hear they have much looser restrictions in general, although I don't know about their travel rules. But maybe you could go there, and visit Sonja!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16533 on: June 20, 2020, 04:13:22 pm »

Do you have Mon Cherie in the US?
Dark chocolate filled with liqueur and a cherry. Mhhhh, what a treat. Love them!

I also love MonCheri!!

Maybe some day we can put together a EuroBrokie MonCheri event!  :laugh:

I started going back into work yesterday. Since I'm a higher risk person, I'm currently not working with children, but sitting in the cellar (where our community/staff rooms are), working on the computer the whole day.
Same thing I've done from home for the last 12 weeks, but now we're not allowed to work from home anymore. Decision from further up ::)
For me it's back to commuting (almost) three hours, only to sit in front of a computer over there instead of here. Oh well. At least I don't have to work with the children and their parents, so my contacts are limited.
Don't get me wrong, in general I do love working with children; I'm just not too keen on being spit on, coughed on, sneezed on, etc. in times of Corona.

You're commutin' three hours a day?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16534 on: June 20, 2020, 04:21:15 pm »
Wow, that's a lot! How long were you planning to be there?

(If you ever do go to Spain, be sure to contact Natali. She's in Madrid and we went to Barcelona for just a couple of days so we weren't able to meet in person, but she sent me all kinds of useful information. And I can't recommend Barcelona highly enough -- at least as of 2013.)

Could you go to Sweden? I hear they have much looser restrictions in general, although I don't know about their travel rules. But maybe you could go there, and visit Sonja!

Great idea! Brokies are always welcome!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16535 on: June 21, 2020, 04:10:09 am »
You're commutin' three hours a day?

On a bad day, yes. Normally it's probably closer to 2.5 than to 3 hours.
But as of the last two days, it was only 2 hours, yay! Many people are still working from home I guess. Considerably less traffic.
My location of working was meant to be temporary - but I love my colleagues, my boss and our specific way of doing things, and the atmosphere in our old villa so much, I just stayed. The long commute is the only downside really. It's also one of the reasons I work only two days a week.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16536 on: June 21, 2020, 05:21:00 pm »

On a bad day, yes. Normally it's probably closer to 2.5 than to 3 hours.
But as of the last two days, it was only 2 hours, yay! Many people are still working from home I guess. Considerably less traffic.
My location of working was meant to be temporary - but I love my colleagues, my boss and our specific way of doing things, and the atmosphere in our old villa so much, I just stayed. The long commute is the only downside really. It's also one of the reasons I work only two days a week.

Wow, 2 or 2,5 hours is still a very long commute IMO. I can sure see why you only work 2 days a week.

My commute is 20 min a day, so maybe I'm spoiled.

But around here, more than 30 min one way is considered too long by most people. In Stockholm it's nothing to talk about.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16537 on: June 21, 2020, 05:25:48 pm »
They are also famous for something.  Scroll down.
Yes, the famous last shot of The Sopranos was shot at HolstensD.   ;

I recognized it from the shot of the room! Did the Sopranos live in Bloomfield? Or, if not, does Tony's trip in the credits from Manhattan to his home resemble a drive from NYC to Bloomfield?

There's a fun new guessing game! Show a movie still of a set, deserted, and see if people can guess the movie by that context. We have a whole forum for games!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16538 on: June 21, 2020, 06:26:20 pm »
I keep telling myself I need to donate to charities that are helping unemployed people keep food on the table, but somehow it keeps not happening.  :(

Does your church have anything going on that you could get involved in?

No, it does not.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16539 on: June 21, 2020, 07:14:09 pm »
I just noticed that my liquor store has started a program to help out-of-work hospitality workers. Maybe look into that.
"chewing gum and duct tape"