Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8736631 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16580 on: July 04, 2020, 08:40:51 pm »
One thing I do like about Air New Zealand is that they bring around a basket of boiled lollies just as the plane begins to descend.  They often get a child to do it. I try to grab 2 as my ears hurt a lot when landing. I understand why babies cry.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #16581 on: July 05, 2020, 11:48:39 am »
We always find it hilarious being asked for age ID when buying alcohol in USA. I remember it happening at a Bettermost dinner in Boston in 2010.

I once went with my then-husband and sons to a pizza restaurant. I happened to have forgotten my purse at home and when I tried to order a glass of wine I got carded. I was in my late 40s. My husband, who did have his ID, was in his 40s. My kids were around 10 or 12. But the waitress wouldn't serve me.

Fine. Maybe it's a rule there. But then the manager came over and she, too, refused to serve me a glass of wine. They said it was the law in Edina (the Minneapolis suburb where the restaurant was located) not to serve anyone without ID.

I doubted that and was so annoyed that they would stick to that rule in the face of complete ridiculousness that we left the restaurant. It was located in a shopping mall, so we just went to a different restaurant where we had no problems and a fine meal. (Well, it was an Applebee's, so probably not that great, but good enough.)

I was still so annoyed the next day that I called the Edina police and asked if there was a law forbidding serving alcohol to people without an ID. No, they said.

Of course there's a law that would get the servers in big trouble if they did serve someone underage, so I can totally understand playing it safe even if the person looks to be in their 20s. (You have to be 21 here, Brian, which I assume is different in NZ as well.) But nobody is required, in Edina at least, to abandon all logic in order to obey a law (in that situation, anyway).

We had an argument (always friendly, Graham loves to argue) over the comparative dangers of alcohol and marijuana.

Who took which side?

Offline brianr

« Reply #16582 on: July 05, 2020, 04:49:44 pm »
I have never tried marijuana, i am very anti-smoking of tobacco. It killed my father and I believe his smoking was the cause of my childhood asthma. 
When Graham was still my student and I took him on surfing/camping trips, I tried to stop him smoking. He idolised me (embarrassing now as he tells people about me) but obviously not to the extent of stopping him from smoking.  His 2 older brothers were criminals and he became a primary (elementary) school principal so I did have some influence or so he tells everyone.
He does smoke marijuana and it is still illegal but he rarely touches alcohol now. I like my glass of wine before dinner every night.
My main argument was it is against the law. We have a referendum on legalising marijuana here in NZ (He is in Australia) on September 19. I do not know how to vote and may leave it blank.  There is also a referendum on euthanasia and I am a keen campaigner in favour.

Offline brianr

« Reply #16583 on: July 05, 2020, 04:54:39 pm »
In both Australia and NZ, alcohol is allowed once you are 18. Besides the dinner in Boston, I know I always had to show ID when buying a drink on Amtrak trains.
Here in NZ, alcohol (wine, beer not spirits) is sold in supermarkets and if the checkout person is under 18 they have to call a supervisor over to allow the purchase but they would only question the customer if they looked underage or was borderline. Sadly i do not look anywhere near 18 now.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16584 on: July 05, 2020, 07:19:42 pm »

My main argument was it is against the law. We have a referendum on legalising marijuana here in NZ (He is in Australia) on September 19. I do not know how to vote and may leave it blank.  There is also a referendum on euthanasia and I am a keen campaigner in favour.

One argument for legalizing marijuana, beyond the "which is worse for you" argument, is that -- at least in this country -- there are wayyyy too many people spending too much time in prison for minor nonviolent crimes. Maybe even for crimes that literally would have been legal in a neighboring state. And they're of course disproportionately poor and/or people of color.

Offline brianr

« Reply #16585 on: July 06, 2020, 12:52:22 am »
One argument for legalizing marijuana, beyond the "which is worse for you" argument, is that -- at least in this country -- there are wayyyy too many people spending too much time in prison for minor nonviolent crimes. Maybe even for crimes that literally would have been legal in a neighboring state. And they're of course disproportionately poor and/or people of color.
Yes, that is why I may vote in favour although I am against people smoking anything. I am allergic to tobacco smoke and have to cover my face if a smoker comes near me.  When I was young (a long time ago  ;D ), I hated people smoking marijuana at parties. They just went into their own little world whereas alcohol in moderation loosens you up and makes you enjoy yourself more. I do realise too many do not know how to drink in moderation.
My mother was very strict when I was young so I did not drink (except for a Christmas glass of wine) until I was in my 20's. It really helped me at parties as I was of necessity a closeted gay. I went through a period of getting regularly drunk. But I was a happy drunk (and you can put your arms around straight guys when you are drunk). I probably reduced my drinking when I found the gay scene, by then I was 30.
I am not sure of the details but think the penalties here for possession of a small amount of marijuana are not great. "It is generally accepted that the usage rate is high and possession in small quantities may not often be prosecuted. In some cases first offences may result in a formal warning and confiscation by police."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16586 on: July 06, 2020, 01:27:02 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope everyone is doing well.

;D

Had a sleep in today, got some stuff done around the apartment, and just picked up my car from the dealer for it's maintenance, so that is done.

Now lunch is in the oven, cooking.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16587 on: July 06, 2020, 01:34:15 pm »
I'm on a weeks staycation too! What a coincidence!

Tomorrow I'm going to visit little Jona and his service staff (aka parents).

I'm staying overnight, and have no catsitter, so I have to bring the kitties which is a major schlep. But I haven't seen Jona in a couple of months, so it's worth it.

I hope the visit went well!   Do Jona and the cats get along with each other?

I once went with my then-husband and sons to a pizza restaurant. I happened to have forgotten my purse at home and when I tried to order a glass of wine I got carded. I was in my late 40s. My husband, who did have his ID, was in his 40s. My kids were around 10 or 12. But the waitress wouldn't serve me.

Fine. Maybe it's a rule there. But then the manager came over and she, too, refused to serve me a glass of wine. They said it was the law in Edina (the Minneapolis suburb where the restaurant was located) not to serve anyone without ID.

I doubted that and was so annoyed that they would stick to that rule in the face of complete ridiculousness that we left the restaurant. It was located in a shopping mall, so we just went to a different restaurant where we had no problems and a fine meal. (Well, it was an Applebee's, so probably not that great, but good enough.)

I was still so annoyed the next day that I called the Edina police and asked if there was a law forbidding serving alcohol to people without an ID. No, they said.

stories like this just make me laugh.  I guess that places like the one that refused you don't want to appear as singling others out, so everyone is carded.  You were there with your husband, and two children, you were obviously old enough to have win, unless you had your kids at at 7.

I have never tried marijuana, i am very anti-smoking of tobacco. It killed my father and I believe his smoking was the cause of my childhood asthma.    When Graham was still my student and I took him on surfing/camping trips, I tried to stop him smoking. He idolised me (embarrassing now as he tells people about me) but obviously not to the extent of stopping him from smoking.  His 2 older brothers were criminals and he became a primary (elementary) school principal so I did have some influence or so he tells everyone.
He does smoke marijuana and it is still illegal but he rarely touches alcohol now. I like my glass of wine before dinner every night.   My main argument was it is against the law. We have a referendum on legalising marijuana here in NZ (He is in Australia) on September 19. I do not know how to vote and may leave it blank.  There is also a referendum on euthanasia and I am a keen campaigner in favour.

Yes, that is why I may vote in favour although I am against people smoking anything. I am allergic to tobacco smoke and have to cover my face if a smoker comes near me.  When I was young (a long time ago  ;D ), I hated people smoking marijuana at parties. They just went into their own little world whereas alcohol in moderation loosens you up and makes you enjoy yourself more. I do realise too many do not know how to drink in moderation.  My mother was very strict when I was young so I did not drink (except for a Christmas glass of wine) until I was in my 20's. It really helped me at parties as I was of necessity a closeted gay. I went through a period of getting regularly drunk. But I was a happy drunk (and you can put your arms around straight guys when you are drunk). I probably reduced my drinking when I found the gay scene, by then I was 30.  I am not sure of the details but think the penalties here for possession of a small amount of marijuana are not great. "It is generally accepted that the usage rate is high and possession in small quantities may not often be prosecuted. In some cases first offences may result in a formal warning and confiscation by police."

If people want to smoke marijuana in their spare time, as long as they're not getting behind the wheel of a vehicle, I have no problem with it.   I don't smoke, but I believe that smoking marijuana is more prevalent then we know.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16588 on: July 06, 2020, 06:35:19 pm »
I hope the visit went well!   Do Jona and the cats get along with each other?

It went fine, thanks! I'm home again. Had some lovely play time with Jona. He's now 10 months, and absolutely gorgeous!

My cats and Jona don't get to meet each other. They stay in the guest room where I sleep, they have food and litter tray there. Because my sond and d-i-l also have a cat, and we don't think it would go over well to let them meet each other. She would likely see them as trespassers in her territory.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16589 on: July 08, 2020, 12:25:36 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Hump Day!

;D

Had a social distancing lunch with a friend yesterday.  I made myself a salad and some chicken, and went over to her house.  We sat on opposite sides of her large front porch, and we visited for almost three hours.  It was good to catch up with her.

Today I had a bit of a sleep in, and then went to Target to pick up some new stuff for the apartment.  My broom, mop, and scrub brush for the bathroom are the same ones I've had since I moved in, and they were definitely showing their age.  LOL  So I went out today and got replacements.