Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8740190 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16750 on: October 21, 2020, 09:52:01 am »

I remember Dark Shadows, though it came on too early in the afternoon for me to watch after school. Kate Jackson was in it, IIRC.

Did you have a particularly long school day, or was it on particularly early there? That seems like bad timing, since I assume the audience was mostly kids. I recall it being on approximately when I got home.

I like movies about extraterrestrials--books about them, too.[/font][/size]

Yes, I was going to say later I don't mind movies about extraterrestrials, benevolent (E.T.) or otherwise (War of the Worlds). They're not paranormal, they're just science fiction. They're about things that haven't happened, but that's not to say they couldn't, at some point.

My only objection to them is that there's little chance that extraterrestrials would resemble humans as much as most do, with legs, hands, heads, faces, eyes, speech, etc., because they would have evolved in different ways. But I'm willing to overlook those that do because for practicality's sake it would be hard to do otherwise.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16751 on: October 21, 2020, 04:49:04 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Happy Hump Day!

;D

Today is a relaxing day, just some light cleaning around the apartment.   I did get some appointments taken care of.  Monday I went to the doctor's for a follow-up visit, all is good, and yesterday I went to the dentist for an overdue cleaning.

:)

I'm told some ghosts are nice, though. In my story, I said the Minnesota ghosts were mostly "Minnesota nice," which has various meanings but is often sort of a backhanded compliment meaning Minnesotans are superficially friendly. The best description I've ever heard was "The grocery store cashier greets you like she's your grandmother but your next-door neighbors of 10 years don't invite you over to dinner." That's exactly right.

Anyway, the ghosts were mostly benign.

:laugh:  That reminds me of an interview I saw with actress Dixie Carter some time ago.  She was reading from a book ( I don't know if she wrote it) where she says "nice" is a Southern insult.  She then set up a conversation of two women talking about a third, and the first says about the third:  "Well, I've never met her, but I've heard she's (furrows brows) "nice"."

I seem to remember something about zombie children from Roundup.  ;D  It was at the place with the three-legged dog. (Twelve years ago. ...  :( )

No, not zombie children, psycho children.  :laugh:   It was a group of children who came running out of the woods while the Psycho theme played on the radio.

Psycho is one of the best movies EVER. Once I saw it for the first time, I never miss it if I can help it.

"A boy's best friend is his mother."  :laugh:

Good movie for Halloween season.

I remember Dark Shadows, though it came on too early in the afternoon for me to watch after school. Kate Jackson was in it, IIRC.

I like movies about extraterrestrials--books about them, too.

Did you have a particularly long school day, or was it on particularly early there? That seems like bad timing, since I assume the audience was mostly kids. I recall it being on approximately when I got home.

Yes, I was going to say later I don't mind movies about extraterrestrials, benevolent (E.T.) or otherwise (War of the Worlds). They're not paranormal, they're just science fiction. They're about things that haven't happened, but that's not to say they couldn't, at some point.

My only objection to them is that there's little chance that extraterrestrials would resemble humans as much as most do, with legs, hands, heads, faces, eyes, speech, etc., because they would have evolved in different ways. But I'm willing to overlook those that do because for practicality's sake it would be hard to do otherwise.

Psycho is a great movie, and the theme to my bathroom.  ;)

I never got into Sci-Fy/fantasy.  I watched the Star Wars films (first three only) and E.T. as a kid, but I don't remember watching many others.  I do remember enjoying the "V" series when it was on all those years ago.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16752 on: October 21, 2020, 05:18:26 pm »
:laugh:  That reminds me of an interview I saw with actress Dixie Carter some time ago.  She was reading from a book ( I don't know if she wrote it) where she says "nice" is a Southern insult.  She then set up a conversation of two women talking about a third, and the first says about the third:  "Well, I've never met her, but I've heard she's (furrows brows) "nice"."

It's also a lot like "Well, bless her heart." Like "Minnesota nice," it could be sincere and well-intended, but often it's not.

Psycho is a great movie, and the theme to my bathroom;)

You definitely win the Psycho fan contest!  :laugh:

I never got into Sci-Fy/fantasy.

I'm not hugely into it either, but I was thinking of recent films like A Quiet Place that are sort of sci-fi aliens and sort of horror. I thought that one was OK. And I liked ET and War of the Worlds. I don't read sci-fi books or go out of my way to see sci-fi movies, but if I hear they're especially good I may check them out.

As for intense sci-fi, I watched only the first incarnation of Star Trek with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, plus a few of the movies. I saw a handful of Star Wars movies but never especially liked any of them.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16753 on: October 21, 2020, 08:56:14 pm »

I don't know if it was longer. It may have been a matter of broadcast time. In my elementary school, the school day began at 9:00 in the morning and ended at 3:45 in the afternoon, with an hour for lunch. I have a memory that it was already on when I got home, like maybe it was the last soap opera of the afternoon.

I didn't like scary TV shows. Somehow something put me off even on The Addams Family until one Halloween when my mother sat me down and more or less forced me to watch it with her.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16754 on: October 21, 2020, 09:02:32 pm »
I never got into Sci-Fy/fantasy.  I watched the Star Wars films (first three only) and E.T. as a kid, but I don't remember watching many others.  I do remember enjoying the "V" series when it was on all those years ago.

Sounds like me. I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi, and how many decades ago was that? (Maybe I should have seen the one with Liam Neeson.)

I remember seeing V, but I know I didn't watch the whole series. I think I got put off the show when we learned the aliens were going to use humans as food, and when we learned they were really reptilian. I remember at least figuratively going, "Oh, please."  :laugh:

Edit to Add: Wait. Are we talking about the same V? A little quick research showed me that there were two mini-series, one in 1983 and one in 1984, plus two series, one in 1984-85, and one in 2009-2011.

It's likely it's the first mini-series I saw, or saw part of, anyway. I remembered Marc Singer in it, so I found my information by looking him up at IMDb. He was a hunk when he was young. IMO.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001743/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16755 on: October 21, 2020, 09:12:41 pm »
I'm not hugely into it either, but I was thinking of recent films like A Quiet Place that are sort of sci-fi aliens and sort of horror. I thought that one was OK. And I liked ET and War of the Worlds. I don't read sci-fi books or go out of my way to see sci-fi movies, but if I hear they're especially good I may check them out.

I still have my "I Saw E.T." button.  ;D

As for intense sci-fi, I watched only the first incarnation of Star Trek with William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, plus a few of the movies. I saw a handful of Star Wars movies but never especially liked any of them.

In the summer of 1977, everybody was talking about this movie called Star Wars. My best buddy from high school and I didn't want to see it because we don't like sci-fi. Finally, at the end of the summer, shortly before we had to return to our respective colleges, we broke down and went to see it. At that first blast of music from the London Symphony Orchestra, we looked at each other, and you could tell we were both thinking, "OK, this isn't what we expected."  :laugh:

It sort of pissed me off that the home video copy that I got had "Episode IV: A New Hope" added to the opening roll-up. I just wanted it as a stand-alone movie. I think I got turned off the series when we learned Luke and Leia were siblings, and Darth Vader was their father--or maybe just Luke's father?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16756 on: October 22, 2020, 09:51:45 am »
I didn't like scary TV shows. Somehow something put me off even on The Addams Family until one Halloween when my mother sat me down and more or less forced me to watch it with her.

:laugh: Child abuse! And on Halloween, yet. But seriously, not liking The Addams Family because it seems like a scary show is really not liking scary shows! Don't even think of trying The Munsters!

It would be kind of fun to watch TAF on Halloween. I haven't seen it in many, many decades.

Often on Halloween I like to watch something in the Halloween spirit, so a year or two ago I rewatched Rocky Horror Picture Show.The first hour or so is great, through Let's Do the Time Warp Again and Sweet Transvestite. And Tim Curry is excellent in that role.

But pretty much everything after that is boring and dumb. Which, come to think of it, is approximately what I thought when I saw it in the theater. But it had sort of blurred in my memory.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16757 on: October 22, 2020, 12:00:50 pm »
I always try to watch Rocky Horror on Halloween.  I agree:  the first half is fun, and the second act is a hot mess.  (Though I kinda like "Rose Tint My World".)  The dvd extras are fun.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16758 on: October 22, 2020, 02:18:12 pm »
Back in VCR days, my Halloween go-to was the 1979 Dracula. It wasn't scary, but I liked Frank Langella as Dracula. Laurence Olivier was Van Helsing.

I never got around to buying it on DVD.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16759 on: October 22, 2020, 02:32:19 pm »
Showing my age. Australia did not get TV until my last year of Primary (Elementary) school 1956 and my family did not get it until I was few years into Secondary school. I use to go into my neighbours on Friday night and all I remember was it included Alfred Hitchcock. To go home I had to walk down their tree covered driveway which was always scary.
When we did get it, my parents only allowed me to watch one week night and I chose Tuesday which was 'I Love Lucy' and 'Our Miss Brooks'.