Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8733873 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16870 on: December 29, 2020, 01:19:13 am »
Of course, just because something didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for somebody else.

Conventionally, "they" say a cold lasts a week to 10 days. In me, a cold lasts 10 days to two weeks.  :(

And I'm still terrified of contracting Covid. Now I'm hearing that one of every 1000 Americans have died from it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16871 on: December 29, 2020, 11:16:49 am »
Of course, just because something didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for somebody else.

Conventionally, "they" say a cold lasts a week to 10 days. In me, a cold lasts 10 days to two weeks.  :(

And I'm still terrified of contracting Covid. Now I'm hearing that one of every 1000 Americans have died from it.

-- True, I would think that applies to most if not every supplement and medication.

-- As I recall, colds used to last about 5 days for me, but I haven't had one in literally decades. Since the mid-90s, I've had the flu once, pneumonia (with hospitalization) once, a bad cough once, appendicitis (once, obviously), minor skin cancer four times and maybe two or three days a year where I felt generally kind of icky. No colds. It's possible I'm forgetting a minor illness or two but that's pretty close. Most of my health problems have been larger (but not life-threatening) crises rather than run of the mill viruses. I'm hoping that immune system protects me against COVID (knock on particleboard desk) but who knows.

-- True, but keep in mind that the vast majority of those deaths were residents and employees of nursing homes, people over 65 (or higher) in general, people who live or work in close quarters, people who socialize in groups. You don't have any of those factors, and in fact your lifestyle seems pretty safe.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16872 on: December 29, 2020, 12:52:39 pm »
True about the COVID deaths, I'm sure. Then you hear a news report about people who don't fit any of those characteristics and die of it anyway, and I get panicky all over again.

Right now I am --literally--praying that nothing happens to me that leaves my dad, at 90, with nobody.

(Just about everybody else in the family that we're close to is in the older age group and has various health problems. Then, my second cousin's wife works in the imaging department at Penn State-Hershey Medical Center; she's constantly exposed to COVID patients, and she and her husband have both been tested at least twice already [results have been negative]. She tells the family that everyone is exhausted, and the hospital is short-handed because staff who test positive have to quarantine and can't work.)

I can't say how much I envy your lack of colds. I shouldn't say this--fear of jinxing myself--but one positive effect of working at home seems to be not contracting colds.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:38:56 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16873 on: December 29, 2020, 01:26:49 pm »
True about the COVID deaths, I'm sure. Then you hear a news report about people who don't fit any of those characteristics and die of it anyway, and I get panicky all over again.

True, I've seen those, too. But how often do you drive a car (which -- how often do you drive a car?) and worry about the statistical odds of injury or death?

I take it you drive at least when visiting your dad. Anyway, I use that example because it's frequently used to show an oddity of human psychology. We're much more fearful of rare but high-profile dangers than we are of daily dangers.

Years ago, a Brooklyn kid was kidnapped and killed while walking home from school. I interviewed parents around here who all but said they would never let their kids out of the house again. But I'm guessing they didn't stop driving them places, despite the much, much higher risk of injury or death in a car compared to kidnapping and murder by a stranger.

Based on your blog, it sounds like you're rarely in a position to catch it, aside from that infamous bus ride. I take it you're no longer going to the Usual Watering Hole? So you must leave home to get groceries and other basic needs, I suppose, which also is considered a fairly safe activity (though even that wouldn't be necessary).

If you're interested, I just downloaded a phone app that tells you when you've been in (or maybe even, present-tense, currently are in?) prolonged contact with someone who tested positive for Covid. I figured it might be helpful in my work.

My son got quick-tested the day before he came here last week and was negative. But then on his plane here, a man a couple of rows away was not wearing a mask and kept shouting. Normally, planes are relatively safe -- I heard that in person from Dr. Birx -- but in this case, I thought they should have kicked the guy off the plane. Eventually my son realized that the man was mentally ill. So maybe they didn't remove him due to some ADA component (?). Or maybe just pre-Christmas niceness.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16874 on: December 30, 2020, 09:35:10 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

I hope everyone is doing well!

:)

The family and I are doing well, so that's a big plus.  Still just minor symptoms here.

Nothing major for NYE, which is fine by me.  I'll just make myself some food and watch TV for the ball drop.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16875 on: December 30, 2020, 10:18:44 pm »
I just had to post this here.

It's not meant to be offensive, so I hope no one takes it that way.  It's not meant to poke fun at religion.

I found a site online where a man posted  a conversation he had with his sister, while they were discussing people who don't have Christmas spirit.   He told his sister that he felt those people should not have Nativity scenes, they should have 'negativity scenes' for their homes.

at that point a light bulb went off, so now he created and sells "Negativity Scenes".

I saw the picture, and started laughing, I had to have one, so I ordered it, and I'm the proud owner of a Negativity Scene.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 05:14:17 pm by CellarDweller »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16876 on: December 31, 2020, 11:46:02 am »
I saw the picture, and started laughing, I had to have one, so I ordered it, and I'm the proud owner of a Negativity Scene.

Hi Chuck, the link didn't work for me but I couldn't wait until you got back to see it, so I googled it. I figured the google URL might be too long or indirect or something. So I used the short simple URL to the site. And it still didn't work!  ???

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16877 on: December 31, 2020, 05:14:47 pm »
Hi Chuck, the link didn't work for me but I couldn't wait until you got back to see it, so I googled it. I figured the google URL might be too long or indirect or something. So I used the short simple URL to the site. And it still didn't work!  ???

I just changed the image, does that work?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16878 on: December 31, 2020, 05:33:45 pm »

I just changed the image, does that work?

Oh yes, now it does!  :laugh:

Even Baby Jesus is frowning!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16879 on: December 31, 2020, 05:55:22 pm »
 :laugh: It's working now!
"chewing gum and duct tape"