Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8746741 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17020 on: February 19, 2021, 10:53:47 am »
Meanwhile, a new poll found 60% of Republicans favor a third party.

Which could be stupid for Republicans, because if they split the Republican party, it can benefit the Democrats.

It's happened before. Ross Perot arguably contributed to Bill Clinton's victory and George H. W. Bush's loss in 1992. It also happened more than 100 years ago, in 1912, when Teddy Roosevelt split the Republican party; that contributed to Woodrow Wilson's victory. That year the Democrats also won control of both the House and the Senate. Let's hope Republicans have short memories and don't know their history. Let's hope they go right ahead and split their party.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17021 on: February 19, 2021, 07:27:47 pm »
Which could be stupid for Republicans, because if they split the Republican party, it can benefit the Democrats. ... Let's hope Republicans have short memories and don't know their history.

I don't think they're THAT dumb (well, maybe some are). Most people know the elections have been close, that the balances in Congress are close, etc., and that if they split one big party into two smaller ones, Democrats will win every election.

(BTW, I think Ralph Nader also helped George W. Bush win his two elections. Thanks, Nader supporters. I'm sure 100,000 dead Iraqi children are happy you voted with your conscience.)

But I can understand the Republican's dilemma. Some Republicans are hardcore Trump supporters, some are reluctant Trump supporters and some are "anyone but Trump" Republicans. The best they can hope for is that Trump sort of fades from the picture and they can go back to supporting "normal" Republicans or abnormal ones like Ted Cruz.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17022 on: February 23, 2021, 04:14:53 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

How is everyone doing?

It's the end of the month, so it's time for me to have to deal with the Monster Report that I have to deal with at the end of each month.

::)

I hate that report.  I guess that's why they don't pay me the big bucks.

:laugh:

Spent some time cleaning the apartment today, and scrubbing the tub.  My new towels and shower curtain arrived, I'm still waiting on a picture frame to arrive.  Once it does, the room will be complete.

Other than that, it's been pretty quiet lately, and I'll grateful for that!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17023 on: February 23, 2021, 04:17:23 pm »
Meanwhile, a new poll found 60% of Republicans favor a third party. And then there's Trump's insane condemnation of Mitch McConnell. Not insane because Mitch McConnell is so great -- I mean Mitch McConnell has played a huge role of supporting Trump through thick and thin these past four years. In many cases, McConnell probably knew better but did it anyway so the party would get its way.

Which could be stupid for Republicans, because if they split the Republican party, it can benefit the Democrats.

I don't think they're THAT dumb (well, maybe some are). Most people know the elections have been close, that the balances in Congress are close, etc., and that if they split one big party into two smaller ones, Democrats will win every election.

(BTW, I think Ralph Nader also helped George W. Bush win his two elections. Thanks, Nader supporters. I'm sure 100,000 dead Iraqi children are happy you voted with your conscience.)

But I can understand the Republican's dilemma. Some Republicans are hardcore Trump supporters, some are reluctant Trump supporters and some are "anyone but Trump" Republicans. The best they can hope for is that Trump sort of fades from the picture and they can go back to supporting "normal" Republicans or abnormal ones like Ted Cruz.

I would be very happy to see the Republican party split in half, and give an advantage to the Democrats.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17024 on: February 23, 2021, 09:41:51 pm »

I would be very happy to see the Republican party split in half, and give an advantage to the Democrats.

Yes, which is why I doubt they'd do it.

The Republican party essentially did that deliberately to the Democrats, by luring former Dems to conservativism by exploiting their biases on cultural issues like abortion, same-sex marriage and racial equality.

But those were outsiders' strategies.  I don't know if the Democrats have ever done that to themselves, on purpose. Of course, there were probably conservative Democrats who bailed over the New Deal, and clearly many eventually fled to the Republican party after the Civil Rights Act.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17025 on: February 24, 2021, 11:38:52 am »
Yes, which is why I doubt they'd do it.

Unless we're talking about different Republicans, it sounds to me like you're giving too much credit to rank-and-file Trumpians. Sorry, but I don't think those people will think, Oh, we need to stay Republicans so we can still beat the Democrats. I suspect these people will follow Trump over the cliff into a third party--if he actually forms one--which I hope he will do and split the Republican party. However, his enablers might very well convince him not to form a third party.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17026 on: February 25, 2021, 11:02:50 am »
Unless we're talking about different Republicans, it sounds to me like you're giving too much credit to rank-and-file Trumpians. Sorry, but I don't think those people will think, Oh, we need to stay Republicans so we can still beat the Democrats.

If you're talking about people like the guy who wore face paint and horns when he and his buddies stormed the capital, you're probably right.

If you're talking about Mitch McConnell and Ted Cruz, guys like that  liked Trump only for strategic reasons in the first place.

In between are people who voted for Trump mainly because they hated Hillary, people who want a Republican in office so they can stay rich, people who want a Republican in office to get abortion outlawed, etc. I think Republicans in that group will mostly get it and don't care that much about Trump per se. And some Republicans hated Trump the whole time. I think those people constitute the majority of the party, although of course the departure of even a small subset could seriously weaken the party the way Ralph Nader voters weakened Democrats.

I suspect these people will follow Trump over the cliff into a third party--if he actually forms one--which I hope he will do and split the Republican party. However, his enablers might very well convince him not to form a third party.

Who do you mean by his enablers? He never listened to anyone around him, all the way up to the end when he turned on the long-suffering Mike Pence.

And what do I know, but it seems to me that Trump is growing more irrelevant by the day. If it weren't for Jan. 6 , he'd be much better off. But I think the sight of a noose outside the Capital seemingly intended for the Republican vice president was a turnoff for many sane (relatively speaking) Republicans.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17027 on: February 27, 2021, 12:50:29 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

How is everyone doing?

Happy TGIF and (for me) pay day!   ;D

Rough day at work, the monthly Monster Report needed to be dealt with, so I was busy all afternoon with it.

After work I had a bunch of stops to make to pick up orders I had placed, and have the items brought out to my car.   I had to stop at Walgreens, then at Target, and finally Shop Rite for groceries.

After all that, the fridge and cabinets are stocked and I am set for the next two weeks.

I gave my bathroom a mini-makeover.

I had a hand towel hanging on the wall for decoration, and my original shower curtain from when I first moved in.   It will  be 8 years in May.

So, I ordered a new towel to hang on the wall, and a new shower curtain and liner.

I was also given a print as a gift, and I had to order a frame for it.

All the items have finally arrived, and they are up now.   I'll be doing a 'before' and 'after' so you can see the difference.

This is the corner of the bathroom that is by the toilet.  This towel is hanging as decor.   It was 8 years old, and showing its age.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17028 on: February 27, 2021, 12:51:14 am »
This is the new, fresh towel to replace the old one. The picture is Marion Crane (Janet Leigh) and Sam Loomis (John Gavin) in a scene from "Psycho".

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17029 on: February 27, 2021, 12:52:04 am »
This is the original curtain.  It doesn't look bad here, but if you could see it up close, you would see that it was definitely time for a replacement.