Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8736505 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17500 on: April 09, 2022, 04:40:11 pm »
Is that 150 dollars per two weeks?

That's wonderful!!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17501 on: April 10, 2022, 10:41:56 am »
Is that 150 dollars per two weeks?

That's wonderful!!!

Hello Sonja.  Yes, $150.00 every two weeks, so $300.00 a month.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17502 on: April 10, 2022, 02:12:48 pm »

I'm thinking about buying a new used car, and if I finance the one I have in mind I'd have payments of $300 a month, so feel free to just forward it to me.  :laugh: :laugh:

Normally I wouldn't splurge on a car (2015 Civic) but my son faced a tragedy and I feel like I want to help him out. He has a scooter but had been using my car during winter months. He looked for weeks if not months to buy his own car -- as you've probably heard, it's a terrible time to buy, and he kept finding cars only to have owners ghost him or whatever. So he finally found one -- a 2005 Acura with 180,000 miles for $4,000. So not a fantastic car or anything, but had such a nice looking, unblemished exterior it practically looked new. He seemed proud of it. Then a month later he comes out of his girlfriend's  apartment in the morning to find someone has hit and run it -- bashed in the side, knocked the wheel out of alignment, tore off the rearview mirror. Estimates to fix were $4-5,000 for the mechanical AND $5-7,000 for the body. So it's totaled. And he didn't have comprehensive, so he's out $4,000. His dad and I, feeling sorry for him, wanted to help him out.

Which is why I'm thinking I might buy the Civic and give my son my own so-so 2013 Ford Focus, 110,000 mi. I bought THAT one for $4,000, but through a relative so it was actually worth $5-7,000. If I buy a different car, Mike will either give me money upfront (which he was going to give Cy for repairs or different car of his own), or keep paying me the amount he's been paying me because his career was so advantaged by my taking care of home and kid stuff forf 15 years. He was considering cutting way back on that. But the current amount he's paying me happens to be about a $20 less than what my monthly payments would be for the car if I put $2,000 down. And I'm hoping for a substantial tax refund but haven't heard from my tax guy yet (I gave him my docs just a week or so ago). So if I my taxes are anywhere near my down payment and I finance the rest, it's almost a free car!

Just checked my credit score on my bank site. (I'm doing all the math!) If I took out the auto loan above, my credit score would go down a few points but still be well into excellent! And I don't plan to borrow anything more in the near future (knocks on wood).

BTW, I didn't even consider any other cars besides a Honda Civic. I had one before, I know they're consistently rated one of or the best cars by Consumer Reports et all, and this one got great scores and comments on the Kelly Blue Book site.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17503 on: April 10, 2022, 03:32:59 pm »
Wow, you've really thought this out, Kathryn! Hope it works out as planned!

My Easter celebrations are up in the air too. Family is still kind of tired from the holidays.  :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17504 on: April 10, 2022, 03:41:44 pm »

I've never ever had that big a raise! Must feel really nice! Congrats!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17505 on: April 10, 2022, 10:12:14 pm »

I haven't bought an "expensive" car since I bought a three-year-old Mazda for $14k in 2012. I bought my kids a couple of older $8,000 cars (not at the same time -- one conked out so I replaced it with another, which lasted a little longer but eventually conked out, too) because they needed to get to sports practices and things and I was working so couldn't drive them.

But this one -- I need to be frugal right now, so I had to do all the math.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17506 on: April 11, 2022, 05:27:06 pm »
(Yay!  ;D )

Chuck, I'm surprised you haven't had anything to say about the passing of Bobby Rydell. You always seem to have so much music news.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17507 on: April 15, 2022, 09:45:39 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Happy weekend to you all!

What's new and exciting with you all?

Not much over here.  I managed to get my laundry done today while I worked from home, I don't do grocery shopping this weekend, and I was able to get all the stuff I wanted for Trenton's Easter basekt, so everything is done and that means I can spend the weekend relaxing.   That's always a plus!

Will see my immediate family for lunch on Sunday, but it's not really an Easter lunch, because Shana, Derek and Trent are going to Illinois to see Derek's family, so we'll be getting together later on, after they come back.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17508 on: April 15, 2022, 09:57:08 pm »
I'm thinking about buying a new used car, and if I finance the one I have in mind I'd have payments of $300 a month, so feel free to just forward it to me.  :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   Yeah......I don't think so!  ;)

Normally I wouldn't splurge on a car (2015 Civic) but my son faced a tragedy and I feel like I want to help him out. He has a scooter but had been using my car during winter months. He looked for weeks if not months to buy his own car -- as you've probably heard, it's a terrible time to buy, and he kept finding cars only to have owners ghost him or whatever. So he finally found one -- a 2005 Acura with 180,000 miles for $4,000. So not a fantastic car or anything, but had such a nice looking, unblemished exterior it practically looked new. He seemed proud of it. Then a month later he comes out of his girlfriend's  apartment in the morning to find someone has hit and run it -- bashed in the side, knocked the wheel out of alignment, tore off the rearview mirror. Estimates to fix were $4-5,000 for the mechanical AND $5-7,000 for the body. So it's totaled. And he didn't have comprehensive, so he's out $4,000. His dad and I, feeling sorry for him, wanted to help him out.

Which is why I'm thinking I might buy the Civic and give my son my own so-so 2013 Ford Focus, 110,000 mi. I bought THAT one for $4,000, but through a relative so it was actually worth $5-7,000. If I buy a different car, Mike will either give me money upfront (which he was going to give Cy for repairs or different car of his own), or keep paying me the amount he's been paying me because his career was so advantaged by my taking care of home and kid stuff forf 15 years. He was considering cutting way back on that. But the current amount he's paying me happens to be about a $20 less than what my monthly payments would be for the car if I put $2,000 down. And I'm hoping for a substantial tax refund but haven't heard from my tax guy yet (I gave him my docs just a week or so ago). So if I my taxes are anywhere near my down payment and I finance the rest, it's almost a free car!

Just checked my credit score on my bank site. (I'm doing all the math!) If I took out the auto loan above, my credit score would go down a few points but still be well into excellent! And I don't plan to borrow anything more in the near future (knocks on wood).

BTW, I didn't even consider any other cars besides a Honda Civic. I had one before, I know they're consistently rated one of or the best cars by Consumer Reports et all, and this one got great scores and comments on the Kelly Blue Book site.

Oh, what a mess for your son.   I hope the person who hit and run on him gets a big, healthy dose of Karma.

When I was in the market for the new car that I got in 2019, I waited until I had the total amount of the car in my savings and then bought it.  I had no intentions of fully buying the car, but I wanted that cash on hand, in case something would have happened at work and I was laid off. 

The Santa Fe is bigger than what I planned on originally, but I figured I may be driving my parents around more than a few times, so I got a bigger vehicle so they would be comfortable in the back seat.

My Easter celebrations are up in the air too. Family is still kind of tired from the holidays.  :-\

Yeah, like I said above, my family isn't doing anything for Easter this year.  We'll meet up later in the month, and definitely in May for Mother's Day.

I've never ever had that big a raise! Must feel really nice! Congrats!

I never had one that big either.  It feels good!  ;D

(Yay!  ;D )

Chuck, I'm surprised you haven't had anything to say about the passing of Bobby Rydell. You always seem to have so much music news.

Hiya Jeff.   I must admit, I have no idea what songs Bobby Rydell is famous for.  The most I know about him is that Rydell High from Grease was named after him.   According to Wikipedia, he had 19 Top 40 hits, 6 of them getting to the Top 10.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17509 on: April 16, 2022, 09:32:46 am »
Now I'm hungry for matsos!