Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8738323 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17780 on: March 17, 2023, 08:06:15 am »
I never seem to think ahead to get a bottle of Jameson's for St. Patrick's Day.  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17781 on: March 17, 2023, 12:01:40 pm »
I never seem to think ahead to get a bottle of Jameson's for St. Patrick's Day.  >:(

Oh, $#%&!!! I forgot that, too. And I was in a liquor store yesterday! Didn't cross my mind, even though the very reason I was in the store was to buy a bottle of vino verde, for a St. Patrick's Day birthday dinner hosted by one of my neighbors for another neighbor.

In honor of the holiday, the host is making Reubens and serving the vino verde (or a bottle of Prosecco I bought for the neighbor whose birthday it is because she likes it and might not like the vino verde).

If I had bought the Jameson it would have been a shooter or, at most if that wasn't available, a half pint. You don't suppose it would be possible to buy one next time I'm out and credit it retroactively to SPD? It's the only time of year I buy whiskey that's not bourbon (and I don't even buy that very often).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17782 on: March 17, 2023, 01:14:36 pm »
In honor of the holiday, the host is making Reubens and serving the vino verde (or a bottle of Prosecco I bought for the neighbor whose birthday it is because she likes it and might not like the vino verde).

Because Reubens have corned beef and sauerkraut (i.e., cabbage)?

If I had bought the Jameson it would have been a shooter or, at most if that wasn't available, a half pint. You don't suppose it would be possible to buy one next time I'm out and credit it retroactively to SPD? It's the only time of year I buy whiskey that's not bourbon (and I don't even buy that very often).

I don't see why not, although availability might depend on how soon you're out. Right now around here I expect the stores are sold out.

I think I've told my bourbon story before. I always keep a bottle of Jack Daniels in the cupboard (a bottle of Bacardi, too) because sometimes I do like a change. So I was thinking I needed to add bourbon to my drinks, and then I was in the liquor store, and they had Jack Daniels with the bourbons.  ::)

(Jack Daniels is made in Tennessee. I always figured the alcohol had to come from Kentucky to be "real" bourbon.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17783 on: March 17, 2023, 03:39:10 pm »
Looking forward to Nationals next week?

Hiya BBP!

Nationals were back in January.  I'm guessing you mean the World Championships.  I have to set my DVR to record them, they're taking place in Japan, so with the time difference I won't be able to watch them live.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17784 on: March 17, 2023, 03:53:31 pm »
Of course I meant worlds.  I don't DVR; will it also be broadcast in some sort of reasonable time?  Which network?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17785 on: March 17, 2023, 06:50:45 pm »
I was going to get an Irish breakfast at our local pub this morning but I woke up early with a nasty stomach bug. That put the kibbosh on that. Also on LauraGig's, EdelMar's and my trip to Meow Wolf, an interactive entertainment and arts place.  :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17786 on: March 18, 2023, 11:37:09 am »
Because Reubens have corned beef and sauerkraut (i.e., cabbage)?

Yes. The hostess also served potatoes and coleslaw with carrot shreds in it, thereby duplicating almost all the ingredients I used to put into a full-blown corned-beef-and-cabbage dinner. I guess she could have thought to make the Reubens on Irish soda bread, if that would work. But it was my suggestion, because when the kids left home and I didn't feel like making a whole CB&C dinner just for myself I would order a Reuben on St. Patrick's Day from a pretty good sandwich shop that delivered.

Now that we're talking about it, I couldn't finish my whole sandwich so I brought home a quarter of it, plus a couple of leftover small potatoes. Maybe I'll take out the corned beef from the sandwich, chop everything up, fry an egg, and make corned-beef hash, which was always my favorite part of the whole corned beef & cabbage shebang.

I don't see why not, although availability might depend on how soon you're out. Right now around here I expect the stores are sold out.

True. I've had that experience at least once.

I think I've told my bourbon story before. I always keep a bottle of Jack Daniels in the cupboard (a bottle of Bacardi, too) because sometimes I do like a change. So I was thinking I needed to add bourbon to my drinks, and then I was in the liquor store, and they had Jack Daniels with the bourbons.  ::)

(Jack Daniels is made in Tennessee. I always figured the alcohol had to come from Kentucky to be "real" bourbon.)

Yes, according to my understanding that's the official rule but for all practical purposes Jack Daniels is the same stuff.

I'm not a bourbon expert and I think Jack Daniels is perfectly serviceable. but sometime you might want to try fancier brands. When I met Amanda in Pittsburgh years on years ago, she gave me a bottle of Knob Creek, which I really liked and is usually my choice when I buy bourbon -- not super often but every now and then -- and of course there are bourbons on shelves above that.

I may have told this story before, but once my brother and I stopped in a bar in Athens, GA -- we were there for our uncle's funeral -- and ordered straight bourbon. The bar manager got all excited and gave us a bunch of shots of really fancy ones to try. That was very fun but the memory always induces a twinge of guilt; when the bill came I was sober enough to recognize that we'd been charged about a third of what our drinks realistically cost. But I was too inebriated to remember to tip according to what the full price would have been -- I tipped 20% or maybe a bit more, but of the low price. The next day I struggled with whether to go back to the bar, or mail them something later, or try to put it all out of my mind. As you can see, I've done none of the above.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17787 on: March 18, 2023, 01:04:02 pm »
Yes. The hostess also served potatoes and coleslaw with carrot shreds in it, thereby duplicating almost all the ingredients I used to put into a full-blown corned-beef-and-cabbage dinner. I guess she could have thought to make the Reubens on Irish soda bread, if that would work. But it was my suggestion, because when the kids left home and I didn't feel like making a whole CB&C dinner just for myself I would order a Reuben on St. Patrick's Day from a pretty good sandwich shop that delivered.

Interesting. I've never heard of putting carrots in CB&C.

I'm not a bourbon expert and I think Jack Daniels is perfectly serviceable. but sometime you might want to try fancier brands. When I met Amanda in Pittsburgh years on years ago, she gave me a bottle of Knob Creek, which I really liked and is usually my choice when I buy bourbon -- not super often but every now and then -- and of course there are bourbons on shelves above that.

I keep a bottle of Maker's Mark in the cupboard but I rarely drink it. I understand that's considered pretty good, but I really don't know much of anything about bourbons (witness my ignorance about Jack Daniels). Thing is, I rarely drink anything straight (no pun intended); I think that's what it's called. I'd drink the Maker's Mark that way, and also the Laphroaig (scotch) and Johnny Walker.

Scotch lesson: Laphroaig  and Johnny Walker are known as Islay scotches. They come from western Scotland and have a wonderful smoky flavor, and you wouldn't mix that with anything. You'd sip them--preferably by a fireplace in your library while wearing a silk smoking jacket and smoking an expensive cigar.  :laugh:

Glenlivet is a Speyside scotch (from the River Spey, in what I'd call eastern Scotland--at least eastern compared to Laphroaig and Johnny Walker). It mixes fine with water or soda which is how I drink it.

Of course in Scotland and presumably England, too, scotch is simply whisky. I'm sure I once came across a reference in a story that Holmes and Watson were having a whisky and soda; I'm pretty sure they were drinking scotch. FRiend Lee would know more about that.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17788 on: March 18, 2023, 02:41:25 pm »
I know very little about whiskeys. There was an article in The New Yorker a couple of years ago that went into the history of the drink and was very interesting. I've tried the "Islay" whiskeys made with peat and they're not my thing. The few times I've drunk whiskey (which means "water of life" in Gaelic) I've had Dewars blended whiskey, which comes from the Perth area.

You can take whiskey tours of Scotland but since I was traveling with a teetotaler, I didn't imbibe. When we got to Paris, I was allowed to have a glass of wine because it cost just as much as water.

I wonder how Jack Daniels could be called an Islay Scotch whiskey since it's made in Tennessee, and their website doesn't mention using peat. Of course, Watson and Holmes were drinking Scotch whiskey but for Doyle to say that would be similar to saying they were eating a Cornish pasty from Cornwall.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17789 on: March 18, 2023, 05:13:26 pm »
I'm a bit of a bourbon aficionado.  While I like Maker's Mark, my favorite is Woodford.  It's realllllly smooth.  Bulleit is my every day.
 Knob Creek is rather peppery. Nothing against Tennessee, but I've never tried Jack. 

Recently, I was parking the car, having dropped off my friend Joey at the Mews with directions to order me a drink--my usual is a Woodford Manhattan.  When I got there, I had a sip, and said, "What's this?"  It most definitely wasn't Woodford; rather, the bartender had recommended a Maker's special edition.  I couldn't drink it. 

As for Scotch, I've never really developed a taste for it.  I find it too thin, and some of the peaty ones taste like licking a dirty ashtray.