Author Topic: Do You Support The Death Penalty?  (Read 169152 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Do You Support The Death Penalty?
« Reply #190 on: November 10, 2007, 04:06:50 pm »
Boy or Girl,  the 18 year old today would be labeled a sex offender and required to register in the state he lives in.    For the rest of his life he will carry this scarlet letter and be denyed housing, job discrimination or worse if his neighbors find his name on the list.    Look how many sex offenders get their picture on the evening news whenever some neighborhood gets wind of them moving in.     All because a horny teenager got laid.   

Bingo.  Statutory rape cases are prosectued regardless of the sex of the perpetrator and victim.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #191 on: November 10, 2007, 08:17:28 pm »
But if they do get out of prison - and they do have chances at parole?

Well, you don't let them out if you think they are going to kill again. Now I predict you're going to say that institutions are fallible and there's no way of guaranteeing they won't kill again. You're right. But I'd rather take that risk than have the state do the killing.

But what are morals?  As you and Gary have pointed out, morals have fluctuated throughout the centuries.  What is moral in one era isn't in another and vice-versa, so there aren't really any moral absolutes.  There is only moral relativism.  Something is moral or isn't moral simply because at the time, we say it is.

There is not "only moral relativism" in my view. Human attitudes, such as those toward homosexuality, have fluctuated throughout the centuries. That doesn't mean homosexuality used to be immoral. It never was. People just thought, wrongly, that it was. Just like slavery was never morally OK, genocide isn't morally OK, etc. -- even though some people have thought they were.

In my view, there are some moral absolutes, and one of them is that killing is wrong.

And what do you think about WWII or Bosnia?  Was killing Nazis/genocidal Serbs immoral and wrong or in some cases is killing someone NOT in individual self-defense not as absolutely immoral as you say because at times it's necessary?

At times it's necessary to prevent the killing of other innocents, which to me is the moral equivalent of self-defense. Now I predict you're going to say that's what the death penalty does -- keeps heinous criminals from killing other innocents. But there are other options of what to do with heinous criminals, mainly imprisonment, because you already have them in custody. On the battlefield, other options are more limited. However, you don't kill POWs.

Yes, but you could say that about sentencing people to long prison sentences.  They're innocent yet are punished for it, but I don't see the argument that because we're human and make mistakes and that all institutions are thereby flawed in some way, we need to do away with our justice system.  Allowances are made

Yes but I'd rather wrongly sentence an innocent person to prison. Not just because of moral issues, but also  because you can always release someone from prison if you find out they're innocent. If you've already killed them, well ...

As for the race issue, all that means is that the white person got off easy, not that they didn't also deserve the death penalty.

The race distinction isn't just white vs. black criminals. It's that people who kill a white person are more likely to get the death penalty than people who kill a black person. I'm not comfortable with that kind of race-influenced sentencing.

As for inadequate representation, well, if you were accused of a crime, wouldn't you get the best attorney you could afford?  That's the capitalist system.  You get what you pay for.  To argue against that goes against what our country is based on.

Don't get me started on the flaws in the capitalist system. But in this case, IMO the state should not create a system in which personal wealth determines whether or not you're allowed to go on living.

1) you also point out that despite the highest rate of convicted felons in the world - sitting out prison sentences - that that hasn't deterred crime either.

Well, a lot of those convicted felons are there because of the "war on drugs," not because of murder.

And in any case, it's fallacious to argue that we should go ahead and use something that doesn't work just because a different strategy also doesn't work. The answer is to find something that DOES work. And in the meantime, don't kill people.

the death penalty isn't supposed to deter crime.  It's merely punishment for the most heinous of killers because we don't want to punish the convicted sadistic rapist/murderer of children the same way we do a guy who has stolen one too many cars - treating his crime as no better or worse than a property crime.

Well, I would say it's worse to rape someone than it is to steal a car. Do we execute rapists, too, in order to make that distinction? Or maybe just cut off a body part? Do we have to find whole, distinctly different punishments for every category of crime?

No. The way you treat a murderer more severely than a car thief is by giving the murderer a longer sentence.

See above.  We don't live in a perfect world.  People and institutions make mistakes.  Throwing the baby out with the bathwater because of imperfections doesn't make much sense.

Allowing the state to kill innocent people is a pretty big imperfection.

True, but only in countries where religion plays a key role in government - or are theocracies.  Most modern countries in the West have gotten away from judging people on moral standards and as you see, the punishment for such 'crimes' has diminished until they aren't crimes at all.

Then why is marijuana illegal? The simple reason (kind of simplistic, I know, because there are also reasons involving culture and liquor lobbies and so on, but it's at least one reason) is that a lot of voters think drug use is morally wrong.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 01:39:46 pm by ineedcrayons »

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #192 on: November 10, 2007, 09:33:13 pm »
Yes, I strongly support the death penalty for certain crimes.
Yes, I strongly support a reform of the court appeals structure that currently results in endless delays in the administration of the penalty.
Yes, I strongly support rights of the families of the victims of capital crimes.
No, I do not believe that "lethal injection" is "cruel and unusual", neither is hanging, or the gas chamber.
And, no I do not care at all if any of the friends or foes of the US object to US usage of the death penalty.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2007, 01:58:23 pm »
I think it's our understanding of morality that is relative, not the morals themselves.

Well put, Gary. I agree.

I think there are some moral absolutes, but not many. Gary's post inspired me to look up the Ten Commandments. Here they are:

I am the Lord thy God
Thou shalt have no other gods before me
Thou shalt not make for thyself an idol
Thou shalt not make wrongful use of the name of thy God
Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
Honor thy Father and Mother
Thou shalt not murder
Thou shalt not commit adultery
Thou shalt not steal
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house (or, just for Gary, ass)
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife

(There are 12 here because some of them are combined different ways in different religious traditions.)

Now, everybody's going to have different views on this. But IMO, there are only a couple of things on there that are wrong in some absolute constant sense (murder, bearing false witness). Stealing is almost always wrong, but there are those "stealing a loaf of bread to feed a starving child" exceptions. A few more I think are usually no-nos, but again I can imagine exceptions: adultery, coveting the neighbor's spouse, honoring thy father and mother. For example, what if your parents were abusive? But if not, yes, by all means honor them.

And the others I don't consider requirements at all! But, as I say, others will have different opinions.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2007, 02:50:30 pm »
Well put, Gary. I agree.

I think there are some moral absolutes, but not many. Gary's post inspired me to look up the Ten Commandments. Here they are:

I am the Lord thy God
Thou shalt have no other gods before me
Thou shalt not make for thyself an idol
Thou shalt not make wrongful use of the name of thy God
Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
Honor thy Father and Mother
Thou shalt not murder
Thou shalt not commit adultery
Thou shalt not steal
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house (or, just for Gary, ass)
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife

(There are 12 here because some of them are combined different ways in different religious traditions.)

Now, everybody's going to have different views on this. But IMO, there are only a couple of things on there that are wrong in some absolute constant sense (murder, bearing false witness). Stealing is almost always wrong, but there are those "stealing a loaf of bread to feed a starving child" exceptions. A few more I think are usually no-nos, but again I can imagine exceptions: adultery, coveting the neighbor's spouse, honoring thy father and mother. For example, what if your parents were abusive? But if not, yes, by all means honor them.

And the others I don't consider requirements at all! But, as I say, others will have different opinions.

So basically you're making exceptions to the word of god.  As you can tell from the writing of the Hebrew Bible, god didn't make any exceptions.  He didn't say "Thou shalt not steal - but it's OK if a b or c".  You didn't steal - for any reason - period.

You can't imagine allowing a child to starve, but you need to read the Hebrew Bible a bit more.  He not only allows it, he even condones and orders the murder of children.  So I don't think he would have a problem with allowing the child of one of his Chosen to starve, so long as they remained loyal to the law.

So in that case, if you make exceptions, then it's perfectly justifiable if someone else does as well,  "Thou shalt not murder - but it's OK if a b or c."

Very few people who claim to be religious follow "Thou shalt honor the Sabbath" rule as well.  On their Sabbath days, they're sleeping in, having lunch with friends, going to the movies, surfing the net...those friends of mine who are very devout, spend the day at home - having cooked meals the day before so no one in the family works on the Sabbath - they watch no TV, do not go out or talk to friends, they stay in or are in church off and on all day.  Otherwise I guess they read the bible or talk about religious things.  One Jewish lady I know doesn't use electrical lights during the Sabbath and I've read recently that some Jewish people are hiring non-Jews to press the elevator button for them in high-rise dwellings so they can follow their commandments about not 'working'.  I'm not quite sure what they do throughout the day...but I know what they don't do.

The 10 Commandments - and according to the Hebrew Bible, I believe there are actually several hundred more - were not moral absolutes - because people made exceptions all the time and they still do and they do so because these rules are almost impossible to follow:

Do you have a cross or other symbol of your faith?  Then you are an idolator.  For those who scoff, there are religions that have none.  They say that's because they're following this rule.

Do you swear to god?  Swear in god's name?  Even say the name God as an exclamatory?  Some of the devout - in following this rule - use a euphemism and don't even spell it, they spell it g - d.

As for adultery...well, remember, there was no divorce in those days that was really approved of except for adultery and barrenness, I believe and even later, Jesus said those weren't god's exceptions, they were man's and in god's eyes, there was no divorce - not for any reason - period.  And those who did were adulterers forever.

You could go on and on about how these rules - moral absolutes - are not absolute at all.  People make exceptions and it seems disingenuous to claim that one exception is any better or worse than another religiously or morally speaking.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #195 on: November 11, 2007, 03:06:49 pm »
Well, you don't let them out if you think they are going to kill again. Now I predict you're going to say that institutions are fallible and there's no way of guaranteeing they won't kill again. You're right. But I'd rather take that risk than have the state do the killing.

OK, but I don't think the family of their victims would agree.

There is not "only moral relativism" in my view. Human attitudes, such as those toward homosexuality, have fluctuated throughout the centuries. That doesn't mean homosexuality used to be immoral. It never was. People just thought, wrongly, that it was. Just like slavery was never morally OK, genocide isn't morally OK, etc. -- even though some people have thought they were.

In my view, there are some moral absolutes, and one of them is that killing is wrong.

But you make exceptions - so it's really not absolute, not even in your eyes - see your below comment:

At times it's necessary to prevent the killing of other innocents, which to me is the moral equivalent of self-defense. Now I predict you're going to say that's what the death penalty does -- keeps heinous criminals from killing other innocents. But there are other options of what to do with heinous criminals, mainly imprisonment, because you already have them in custody. On the battlefield, other options are more limited. However, you don't kill POWs.

True, but then there are people who believe the rule is absolute - see the Amish in the recent horrendous murder of school girls - or the Quakers in any war. They don't believe in killing - for any reason - because they believe their commandment is an absolute.

Yes but I'd rather wrongly sentence an innocent person to prison. Not just because of moral issues, but also  because you can always release someone from prison if you find out they're innocent. If you've already killed them, well

Which is why I support long appeals process.  Give technology plenty of time and their defense as many opportunities as possible to bring in new evidence, ask for new trials, ask for clemency etc.  I certainly don't approve of convicting them in the morning and executing them in the afternoon.

The race distinction isn't just white vs. black criminals. It's that people who kill a white person are more likely to get the death penalty than people who kill a black person. I'm not comfortable with that kind of race-influenced sentencing.

I still don't see the issue.  The white person is unlikely to get off with a light sentence for the same crime - he just didn't get executed.  That doesn't mean he didn't deserve the punishment or that the black person did not.  One just got it and the other didn't.

Don't get me started on the flaws in the capitalist system. But in this case, IMO the state should not create a system in which personal wealth determines whether or not you're allowed to go on living.

Yep and they're big flaws.  Unfortunately, you're going to have a lot of people reply to you that the system is set up for those who can excel have the opportunity to do so and thus gain the rewards.  Everyone should strive toward the same - but seeing as not everyone has the same talents not everyone is going to make it and those that do make it, it isn't fair that they should have to have their rewards reduced for those who don't.

Well, a lot of those convicted felons are there because of the "war on drugs," not because of murder.

True, but they're not on death row.  We're talking heinous crimes.

And in any case, it's fallacious to argue that we should go ahead and use something that doesn't work just because a different strategy also doesn't work. The answer is to find something that DOES work. And in the meantime, don't kill people.

Well, both systems do work to a degree.  Prison sentences don't work, because convicts are very likely to break the law again and end up right back in prison.  Executions bluntly solve the problem the first time.

Well, I would say it's worse to rape someone than it is to steal a car. Do we execute rapists, too, in order to make that distinction? Or maybe just cut off a body part? Do we have to find whole, distinctly different punishments for every category of crime?

Well we do, don't we?  People who write hot checks don't get the same punishment as those who rape children and dismember them.

No. The way you treat a murderer more severely than a car thief is by giving the murderer a longer sentence.

So you do agree that we should find different punishments for every category of crime.

Allowing the state to kill innocent people is a pretty big imperfection.

Yep, so is letting murderers go.

Then why is marijuana illegal? The simple reason (kind of simplistic, I know, because there are also reasons involving culture and liquor lobbies and so on, but it's at least one reason) is that a lot of voters think drug use is morally wrong.

I think it's a Christian morality thing personally.  The same reason they don't sell alcohol down in my part of the country or stores are closed on Sunday.  Not really sure.

Dagi

« Reply #196 on: November 11, 2007, 03:25:22 pm »
To answer the question on top of this thread: No, I don't support the death penalty.

Since I'm not a person of faith (and even if I were) I want to find arguments that are independent of faith, or the believe in a higher force that could provide justice after death.

One of the strongest arguments has already been pointed out by Gary (and maybe others, I admit I haven't read the whole thread): those who are to decide whether a person is worthy of living or not don't deserve our confidence. Yes, those have the might to decide which person to sentence to prison, but to speak here with Ineedcrayons, I'd rather sentence an innocent person to prison but to death, since death is irreversible.
This argument alone is sufficient for me to be against death penalty, but I'll say something to some other things that have been mentioned here.

As for the argument that death penalty is the same as self-defense: Self-defense is a preventive means, it is meant to keep a person from killing me or doing me harm.  I've learned how to kill a person with my own hands, but nevertheless I'd kill a person only if I saw no other way, I think that's called the appropriateness of the means.
In order to prevent a person (and I don't even want to speak of this person as a known killer, since we all know how often courts are wrong) from killing more people it is not necessary to kill this person, that would not be an appropriate means for this purpose, since it is sufficient to put them into prison.

As for inadequate representation, well, if you were accused of a crime, wouldn't you get the best attorney you could afford?  That's the capitalist system.  You get what you pay for.  To argue against that goes against what our country is based on.

Delalluvia, I suppose you belong to those who could afford a good attorney? I still can't believe that you actually meant what you said there.

Absolutely my point of view, Ineedcrayons. There is the opinion that a tyrant may be killed, but I do not agree. It is only a small step from the notion that a person can lose the right to live because of their deeds to the notion that a person can lose this right for other reasons (race, sexual orientation, religion, you name it).

And I wonder, do those who support death penalty ever think about the fact that it is not the state that gives the lethal injection, it is not the state that presses the button of the electric chair or causes the death of the sentenced person in any other way? It is always a person. What does the state to those persons?

I've never been good at arguing, let alone in a foreign language, but I'd love to hear your points of view to what I said.

Dagi

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2007, 03:34:36 pm »

Delalluvia, I suppose you belong to those who could afford a good attorney? I still can't believe that you actually meant what you said there.

I'm afraid not, Dagi.  I couldn't afford a lawyer if I needed one.  I would have to depend on the state.  They are provided free of charge for me.

Yes, the quality may not be the best, but what's the alternative?  The State forcing individuals to use only as good a lawyer as the other party?

So, if some movie star has a paparazzo sue them for running over his foot because he was blocking their car, the movie star shouldn't be able to find a lawyer to help them because the paparazzo can't afford the same?   How is that 'justice' for them?

EDITED TO ADD:

And I wonder, do those who support death penalty ever think about the fact that it is not the state that gives the lethal injection, it is not the state that presses the button of the electric chair or causes the death of the sentenced person in any other way? It is always a person. What does the state to those persons?

It's difficult for them.  I've read some documentation about it.  But technology marches on and soon that will be resolved.  Right now, two people press the button - so like the firing squad with one shooter armed with a blank - they can have some doubt about who actually did it.  If they have problems, you almost always hear from one member of the family of the victim who would be glad to do it in their stead.

Dagi

« Reply #198 on: November 11, 2007, 03:48:46 pm »
But we don't speak about a movie star that's got hit by a paparazzo. We talk about whether it is just that a person is more likely to be sentenced to death because they can't afford a good attorney. We talk about life or death depending on money. I know that it depends on money in every day life, since poor people can afford only cheap food, and don't get the same medical treatment as rich people, I know. But it's still not just, and I argue against it.

To speak more clearly: In case you were innocent and sentenced to death bcause the attorney provided by the government was not as good as the attorney your rich counterpart can afford, would you still be of the same opinion?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #199 on: November 11, 2007, 03:58:36 pm »
But we don't speak about a movie star that's got hit by a paparazzo.

No, but you're talking about the same concept.  One person is less financially able than the other.  One less financially able sues the more financially able.  Should the person most able to afford counsel for a defense, be denied that defense because the other person cannot?

We talk about whether it is just that a person is more likely to be sentenced to death because they can't afford a good attorney.

And what are they on trial for?  Prosecutors don't ask for the death penalty for jaywalking.  It has to be a very serious crime with plenty of back up evidence - especially in this day and age of DNA evidence.

We talk about life or death depending on money. I know that it depends on money in every day life, since poor people can afford only cheap food, and don't get the same medical treatment as rich people, I know. But it's still not just, and I argue against it.

It's not just, but what is the alternative?

To speak more clearly: In case you were innocent and sentenced to death bcause the attorney provided by the government was not as good as the attorney your rich counterpart can afford, would you still be of the same opinion?

What crime am I accused of?  If I butchered some innocent person for some sick fantasy of mine, I can't say what I would think because I'm obviously not a well person. [shrug]  This is a very complex question and many ways to look at it, so I really couldn't say.