Author Topic: Pick Your Candidate  (Read 7391 times)

injest

Re: Pick Your Candidate
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 07:43:18 pm »
Dennis Kucinch??

was the top with 53

bottom was Duncan Hunter with 7!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 07:58:53 pm »
I'm just pleading the 5th!  ::)
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:59:23 pm »
I came up with Dennis Kucinich as my top candidate and the only thing we disgreed on was healthcare. I said NO to universal healthcare but only because I think it is completely unrealistic in this country. I am not opposed to the concept, per se, so I guess I could agree with Dennis on everything. Unfortunately, his chances of getting elected are slim to next-to-nothing. I also scored high with Chris Dodd, too. (Chrissi, he is a Senator from Connecticut. His father was a Senator, too.)

My lightning rod issues are the death penalty and a constitutional amendment for gay marriage. (I oppose both). Unfortunately, the front runners, Clinton and Obama are both pro-death penalty. Not that it really matters much, in the big scheme of things right now. I think there are more important issues to be dealt with, such as Iraq. But they both hold opposite views from me on that one, too!

L

Yes, I try really hard not to have a single issue or two that are make or break for me; the world is complex and things are not black or white.  I have some family who I love, but they apply a litmus test about abortion that drives me nuts - they are staunchly anti-abortion.  We've discussed it before - I mean, mostly no one is actually pro-abortion - it's more a question of a woman's right to choose and keeping the government out of a doctor/patient relationship for me.  So these really good people end up voting for candidates who have no interest in improving health care or dealing with poverty or improving education - all things that they are also 'for' because of a single issue - narrow-minded and unrealistic, imo.  Also, I wonder what some of the candidates truly believe versus what they publicly say to appeal to the largest voting bloc. ???
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 11:06:48 pm »
Very well put, Lynne.  Those hot button issues all too often serve to get candidates elected despite their weaknesses in other areas.  Campaign managers are experts in the art of button-pressing.  As Cassie would say, "Gets tiresome."  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 11:35:17 pm »
"Gets tiresome."  ::)

And we've got another whole year to go... :-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 11:45:18 pm »
Dennis Kucinich - 59.  We agreed on everything!  I haven't even paid much attention to him.  This was great, Shasta, thanks.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 05:50:41 am »
 ;D YW
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~