Author Topic: Food in the Movies -- Your Favorite Scenes!  (Read 5681 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Food in the Movies -- Your Favorite Scenes!
« on: October 04, 2007, 09:26:08 am »
Over on the comfort food thread, Lee and I were remembering how often the characters ate french fries with gravy in the movie Diner.

And of course, "Piece of cherry cake?"

Or Ennis eating apple pie in the bus station.

What are your favorite, or memorable, food eating scenes in movies? Everyone, join in!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: Food in the Movies -- Your Favorite Scenes!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 01:00:19 pm »
Great idea, Leslie!

Is it in "Eat Drink Man Woman" where two characters pass a raw egg yolk between their mouths?  I know it sounds gross, but it was incredibly sensual to watch.

Scott6373

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:10:03 pm »
My concern is growing over the numbner of food threads you have started...Are you pregnant or something?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:16:22 pm »
My concern is growing over the number of food threads you have started...Are you pregnant or something?

No way, darlin. My childbearing days are permanently over. Not sure why I have food on my mind today...

Now, how about a movie scene?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 01:17:09 pm »
Great idea, Leslie!

Is it in "Eat Drink Man Woman" where two characters pass a raw egg yolk between their mouths?  I know it sounds gross, but it was incredibly sensual to watch.

Hahaha, reminds me of a certain peanut butter and jelly sandwich scene...but that was a book, not a movie!  ;)

L

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 01:18:55 pm »
There is the famous eating scene in Tom Jones, the original film, with Albert Finney.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 01:33:34 pm »
There is the famous eating scene in Tom Jones, the original film, with Albert Finney.

I remember my parents talking about that scene (I was way too young to see the movie). I found this quote over on IMDb:

And some of the great scenes are worth telling...... Tom and Mrs. Wilkins enjoy a good roast with fruit, eating lusciously and lascivously, eating each other up with their sparkling eyes: this scene is hugely delightful.

L

Scott6373

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:36:01 pm »
Lady and the Tramp

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 01:49:28 pm »
Lady and the Tramp

Ah, yes. I found this on Entertainment Weekly....

In the Mood for Love?

LADY AND THE TRAMP (1955)
Two words: spaghetti scene. There's nothing more romantic out there, from the crazy Italian restaurant workers who serenade the pups with ''This is the night, it's a beautiful night...'' to the Tramp offering the last meatball to Lady as a show of his affection. And let's not forget the accidental smooch after the two unknowingly share the same strand of pasta. Forget those other Disney tales about princes saving the day — it's all about the Tramp. — Katy Caldwell

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 01:58:58 pm »
[youtube=500,700]xWV5dUOUeYQ[/youtube]
[youtube=500,700]RZN8mK9cHq8[/youtube]

Ah, before whatever happened to Sean Flanery happened to him.  From the film Simply Irresistible

Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:01:14 pm »
When I started this thread, I kept thinking about GoodFellas--not sure why. So I googled GoodFellas and food and found, of all things...a website devoted to the topic! Ya gotta love the Internet. This site owner maintains that GoodFellas is a "food film" according to his criteria:

What exactly is a food film? The mere presence of food in a movie does not categorize the movie as a food film. The film must meet certain criteria to be included in the food film genre. GoodFellas is not considered by many to be a typical “food film.” However, it meets the three criteria of that food films must follow. The first criterion is that food must appear or be talked about in the film several times. Second, the main characters must be knowledgeable about the preparation or consumption of food. The characters cannot just be in the presence of food and mindlessly eat it as a means of sustenance they must appreciate it. Lastly, the food in the movie must also be a part of the characters' culture and therefore must bring out the characters' culture. Food films use these criteria as a method of conveying themes and presenting certain aspects of the film and characters.By this definition, GoodFellas falls into the category of food films. Each criterion is met thoroughly and is important to the film.

In my own mind, I kept remembering the scene near the end, when Henry Hill is making sauce. The scene gets a special mention:

The last example of a main character making food is very disturbing. Henry Hill, under the influence of cocaine, is in a drug-fuelled paranoia of the FBI. Helicopters above keep tracking his location and he eventually goes home. He starts preparing a meal amidst the FBI helicopters overhead. He seems equally worried,or obsessed as the London Food Film Festival says, about the preparation of the pasta sauce as much as the FBI helicopters overhead. One of his last orders is to "keep an eye on the sauce and watch the helicopters," right before the FBI catches him. Even during his last moments of freedom, Hill is concerned about the preparation of the baked ziti so that Michael will like it.

And he sums up with:

One thing that you will never find in this movie is the gangsters going to a fast food restaurant. For example, in Pulp Fiction there is a scene where one of the main characters Jules is eating a Big Kahuna Burger and remarking on how good it is. A scene like this would be blasphemous in GoodFellas. The Italian culture's take on food is that it is made by your mother or you eat at a restaurant that is owned by a friend that is basically family. No fast food restaurant could ever possibly compare to the food that the mobsters eat. All the meals are basically home cooked. Also, the whole family or friends are present during the cooking of the meal. The presence of family and friends during meal time is very important in the Italian culture. There is nothing more evident of one's culture than a home cooked meal with family or friends.

GoodFellas...A Food Film!

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 05:51:06 pm »
Ah, very nice, Susie! Johnny and Chocolat, both!

L