Author Topic: Michael Tolliver Lives  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Michael Tolliver Lives
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:00:39 pm »
For fans (me included) of Armisted Maupin's TALES OF THE CITY series: I just finished reading Maupin's revisit to the Barbery Lane family.

Michael Tolliver Lives is a first person narative told by the central character, Michael Tolliver, now age 55 and a long tiome survivor of HIV. Now partnered with a much younger husband he brings forward the lives of most of the characters that were not continued in Maupin's other books Maybe the Moon and The Night Listener. It is a wonderful read, like the rest of the story, it fills in that area we pour our fan fic into.

Remember: There is No Fifth Destination.

You'll just have to read it and find out.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Michael Tolliver Lives
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 01:52:56 pm »
Another interesting observation from MTL: Michael calls the family he was born into his biological family, and the family in San Franciso he has adopted his logical one.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 02:35:45 pm »
I had checked out MICHAEL TOLLIER from the library but had to return it before I could finish reading it.  It's a new release and some other patron was asking for it. The fine is probably higher if your late in returning new releases.  I sorta thought the book was a political treatise or something.  So many jabs at red state  with all these stereotypes. 
Of course, Ppl have stereotypical images about SAN FRANCISCO being so removed form the mainstream, so it's only fair.   Armisted Maupin is from South Carolina and as the book was set in Central Florida, I was wondering how autobiographical it was.  I can imagine somebody who moved to San Francisco growing apart from a conservative South Carolina family as he/ she changes but the family back home maintains the same social attitudes. 

mvansand76

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 03:28:34 pm »
Oh I loved the Tales of the City series! I will try to find this, thanks!

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:18:20 pm »
I've just finished it (got it out yesterday) and I loved it. I especially loved the two racist Christian pothead queens and the nailbiting escape from them. (In my world, I'm so [icily] polite to them that Mr Johnson gets away.)

Since I'm about Armistead/Michael's age and have found a husband much younger than myself, I found his observations to be very valuable, and we plan to read it together.

"A political treatise"? Get a grip! What does the gay community owe the Bush administration?