Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2570701 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"E" is Enter Madame
« Reply #2380 on: January 06, 2008, 01:17:04 am »
From an IMDb User:
Heavily inspired by the success that opera singer Gracie Moore had found with picture ONE NIGHT OF LOVE, the considerably less successful ENTER MADAME follows the turbulent relationship between an Opera prima donna (Elissa Landi) and a wealthy fan (Cary Grant) as her career frequently interferes with the quality of their off-again/on-again marriage. The Italian-born Landi (whose singing voice is agreeably dubbed by Nina Koshetz) captures the appropriate poise and aura of a true diva, and Grant lends her able support, but the two have no real chemistry in their scenes together, which causes much of the film to fizzle. Although the simple story is effectively plotted, nicely placed, and features winning supporting performances by Lynne Overman, Frank Albertson, and Adrian Rosley, the picture is simply never able to fully recover from the lack of interest in the relationship between to film's two central characters. It becomes difficult to care much about the characters played by Lundi and Grant after their admittedly entertaining first meeting, and this prevents the otherwise well-made film from rising above mediocrity.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
"F" is The Farmer Takes a Wife
« Reply #2381 on: January 06, 2008, 02:00:51 am »

Starring Henry Fonda (his film debut) and Janet Gaynor, directed by Victor Fleming.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

Gai dimanche
« Reply #2382 on: January 06, 2008, 02:06:32 am »
Jacques Tati's third time acting in a film, second time writing the film, and first time directing.

A stylized depiction of "classic" Tati

Note: We are getting behind the times/back in them days, if we've reached Henry Fonda's first film.

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"H" is The Healer
« Reply #2383 on: January 06, 2008, 04:34:44 am »
the last film of film pioneer Reginald Barker.  Starred Ralph Bellamy, Mickey Rooney and Karen Morley.  It was re-released in 1939 under the title "Little Pal" to capitalize on the growing popularity of Mickey Rooney.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"I" is The Informer
« Reply #2384 on: January 06, 2008, 07:46:51 am »
From an IMDb User: 
Gypo Nolan (Victor McLaglen) is as poor as anyone on Earth. Living in 1920s Ireland, Gypo and his fellow Irishmen are part of an underground rebellion against the oppressive Brits. One particular rebel, wanted for murder by the English, arrives back into town secretly. He thinks he can trust his friend Gypo, but the £20 reward proves too tempting. Gypo gets his friend killed and sinks into a pit of despair and drunkenness. Meanwhile, the other Irish rebels are searching for the informer. Right away, Gypo, with money burning a hole in his pocket, is their main suspect, but they, who are his friends, don't want to believe it.

The story of The Informer is simple in its plot, but complex in its moral and emotional issues. It's easily one of John Ford's most emotionally involving films. What Gypo did was wrong, but we can certainly understand his motives. We also understand his sorry character, and there's a lot of sympathy that arises for him. The script is very suspenseful, as well. It's the kind of suspense where we are pretty sure we know how everything will end up, so we have to grit our teeth and bear along with it. The acting is remarkable. Victor McLaglen, who acted in many of Ford's films, probably gave his best performance here (and won an Oscar for it). Every other performer in the film deserves his or her kudos.

In addition to an amazing script and acting, The Informer is one of John Ford's most expressionistic films. I love the darker side of Ford. In its mood, as well as in its themes, The Informer reminds me of two of my other favorite Ford films, The Long Voyage Home (1940) and The Fugitive (1948); it's also a bit similar to The Grapes of Wrath (1940) in these respects. 10/10.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 09:45:26 am by oilgun »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Aside: Trivia
« Reply #2385 on: January 06, 2008, 09:34:18 am »
John Ford was raised here in Portland. Here's a statue of him, and some info. I see this statue alot, because it is right outside my favorite Japanese restaurant!

Picture of the John Ford Statue at Gorham's Corner, where Fore, Bank, York, Pleasant and Danforth streets meet.

The 10ft bronze statue, by New York artist George Kelly, shows Ford sitting in his director's chair, holding a pipe and wearing a wide-brim hat.

Ford, the son of Irish immigrants, won six Oscars, including one for The Quiet Man starring John Wayne and another for The Grapes of Wrath.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"J" is Justice of the Range
« Reply #2386 on: January 06, 2008, 09:42:30 am »
==synopsis==from IMDb

The McLean and Brennan ranches are both losing cattle to rustlers and each blames the other when cattle buyer Graves is the real culprit. To throw suspicion off himself Graves hires Tim to investigate, not knowing that this will be his downfall
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"K" is Keystone Hotel
« Reply #2387 on: January 06, 2008, 01:19:45 pm »
From IMDb:  The Keystone Hotel hosts a very prestigeous beauty contest. When the cross-eyed judge presents the first prize to an elderly cleaning woman, angry members of the audience respond by hurling custard pies. The Keystone Kops are summoned, and arrive just in time to get plastered with pastry.

Starred a lot of silent film actors, whom one now could hear speak!  Reported to have one of the best pie fights of all time. 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"L" is The Lives of a Bengal Lancer
« Reply #2388 on: January 06, 2008, 01:35:31 pm »

Starring Gary Cooper and Kathleen Burke
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"M" is Magnificent Obsession
« Reply #2389 on: January 06, 2008, 01:47:56 pm »
==comment==

I think I posted the remake of this, directed by Douglas Sirk, in the 1954 round!

I haven't tracked down a picture from this version, yet, but I'll keep looking.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:06:50 pm by MaineWriter »