Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2571058 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
"Q" is Quadrophenia (1979)
« Reply #2490 on: January 11, 2008, 12:55:22 am »

Quadrophenia is a 1979 British film based on the 1973 rock opera album Quadrophenia by The Who. The film stars Phil Daniels in the leading role as a Mod named Jimmy. The film also stars Toyah Willcox, Mark Wingett, Leslie Ash, Ray Winstone, Timothy Spall, Phil Davis, Michael Elphick, Kate Williams, Sting, Gary Shail and John Altman. It was directed by Franc Roddam in his feature directing debut.

In 2004 the magazine Total Film named Quadrophenia the 35th greatest British film of all time.

The cast of this movie were reunited after 28 years at Earls Court on 1st and 2nd September 2007 as part of 'The Quadrophenia Reunion' at the London Film & Comic Con.  Subsequently the cast have agreed to be part of a Quadrophenia Convention at Brighton in 2008.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

"R" is Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964)
« Reply #2491 on: January 11, 2008, 12:57:24 am »
Tagline: Like we've taken the Robin Hood legend and changed the bows and arrows to machine guns! ... Like with songs yet! ... Like WILD!

The Rat Pack minus Peter Lawford (having been ejected by Frank Sinatra over his JFK disappointment) and Joey Bishop and plus Bing Crosby and Peter Falk.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"S" is Silk Stockings (1957)
« Reply #2492 on: January 11, 2008, 01:05:27 am »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
"T" is Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967)
« Reply #2493 on: January 11, 2008, 01:34:13 am »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"U" is The Unsinkable Molly Brown (1964)
« Reply #2494 on: January 11, 2008, 03:20:06 am »

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"V" is Volga-Volga (1938)
« Reply #2495 on: January 11, 2008, 07:53:44 am »
==comment==

Have others learned as much as I have playing this game? Now I can add "Soviet propaganda film" to my mental trove of movie trivia!

From Wikipedia:

Volga-Volga is a Russian comedy directed by Grigori Aleksandrov, released in 1938. It centres around a group of amateur performers on their way to Moscow to perform in a talent contest called the Moscow Musical Olympiad. Most of the action takes place on a steamboat traveling on the Volga River. The lead roles were played by Alexandrov's wife Lyubov Orlova and Igor Ilyinsky.

The villain in the film is a corrupt bureaucrat, and thus at the end of the story, the characters sing to the audience that reporting such bureaucrats to allow for their removal is appropriate, and compare this action to using a mop. As this word, in the Russian language, was the same as "purge," and as Joseph Stalin was the dictator of the Soviet Union at the time, this musical number serves as political propaganda in favour of the Great Purges.

According to Lyubov Orlova, the name of the film is taken from popular Russian folk song, "Stenka Razin", that Alexandrov sang while rowing with Charlie Chaplin upon the San Francisco Bay. Chaplin jokingly suggested the words for a title of a movie, but Alexandrov took it seriously and named his new film "Volga-Volga."

From a commenter on IMDb:

As most of its (all too few) viewers know, »Volga Volga« was supposed to be the Soviet counterpart to Hollywood musical comedies of the time. It is also well-known it was Stalin's favourite movie... So what? Wagner was Hitler's favourite composer – does that make him a bad composer? Hitler also loved Greta Garbo, Charlie Chaplin, Marlene Dietrich... does that make them trash?

However, I *do* find it fascinating that Stalin loved this film. I find it even more fascinating that the film was released for the general public to see, and that its director wasn't sent to Siberia.

Yes, it has propaganda written all over it – in the same fashion as the contemporary »Yankee Doodle Dandy« has, to mention just one famous non-Soviet example. But what makes this film such a wonderful comedy is the intelligent – at times spine-chilling – humour of the dialogues. However, only viewers who are familiar with the Soviet political (and general) culture of the time will appreciate them – or even notice them. If one doesn't know that the young man is reciting a very famous poem by Lermontov when trying to impress the semi-illiterate political chieftain, it will be very difficult to appreciate the latter's bewildered expression and his reply: »Oh, begone with your self-critique, save it for the next political meeting« (I am quoting from memory, based on the original, not on the English translation, which I am not familiar with). Indeed, one has to know what »self-critique« meant... If you do, you'll find it a cracking-funny dialogue. The same goes for many, many other scenes – like the one when the ship's cook introduces (and re-introduces) himself to the ignorant political chief, starting merrily as a »chef« and ending up as a »food-processing worker«. And then some scenes are sheer poetry: like the one when the entire village is chanting the contents of a telegram from the river bank, so that the eager recipient of the telegram – already embarked on a ship - will hear it..:)

The ideology behind it is clear: only the peasants – sorry, »land workers« - are healthy and wise. The only jerk in the film is the hilariously ignorant and self-important representative of the political »authorities«. This, I suppose (besides the wonderful humour and the cheerful music), is what made this film so popular with the »masses«. And this must be also the reason why the film was released. (In 1938, no less – when political »purging« was at its worst.)

There are however, certain scenes in the film that make me wonder how on earth it made it past the censors. (Due to Stalin's personal intervention, no doubt?) The oddest example comes towards the end of the film, when the political chieftain is asked by the port authorities whether he is the author of the (title) song »Volga Volga«. Panicking, he not only blames someone else (»Shulbert«, Franz Schubert to you and me) – regardless of the fact that »Shulbert« most definitely did NOT »do« it - but he starts screaming: »I confess nothing, I confess nothing!«, even though nobody had asked him to confess anything... Only those who know what »confession« implied can find his mindless reaction hilarious – and spine-chilling.

It is said that Stalin had a copy of this film delivered to the USA authorities. They were so baffled by it that they searched it for hidden messages. If this is true, it just goes to show how little they understood and knew about each other.

Or is there a hidden message...? :)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
"W" is Waikiki Wedding (1937)
« Reply #2496 on: January 11, 2008, 02:17:47 pm »

Waikiki Wedding is a 1937 musical film directed by Frank Tuttle and starring Bing Crosby. Bing plays the part of Tony Marvin, a PR man charged with extolling the virtues of Hawaii. The female lead is Shirley Ross.

Martha Raye, along with Bob Burns, are the "comic relief". The female lead, played by Shirley Ross is a local beauty queen who makes unhelpful comments about the islands. The film was made by Paramount Pictures as a rival to the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers films then being made by RKO Radio. The songs included Sweet is the Word for You, In a Little Hula Heaven, Blue Hawaii, Okolehao and Nani Ona Pua. Amongst the supporting cast was a young Anthony Quinn.

The film is best remembered for the song Sweet Leilani with words and music by Harry Owens, which won the Oscar for Best Song in 1937.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Wild Card "X" is 1776 (1972)
« Reply #2497 on: January 11, 2008, 03:18:15 pm »
a personal favorite of mine.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Y" is You're My Everything (1949)
« Reply #2498 on: January 11, 2008, 08:06:20 pm »
==comment==

A similar story to "Singin' in the Rain"--the transition from silent movies to talkies--but obviously not as successful since it doesn't seem to be mentioned or seen anymore.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
"Z" is Zinda (2006)
« Reply #2499 on: January 11, 2008, 09:42:52 pm »

Zinda (English: Alive) is a 2006 Bollywood film, starring Sanjay Dutt, John Abraham, Mahesh Manjrekar, Celina Jaitley and Lara Dutta. Zinda was directed by Sanjay Gupta, who previously directed Sanjay Dutt in the 2004 movie Musafir. The film's plot, characterisation and the majority of its scenes are suspected of being plagiarism, from the critically acclaimed South Korean film Oldboy.

The writing credits for this movie were shared between Sanjay Gupta and Suresh Nair. The music for the movie was composed by the popular Bollywood music director duo Vishal Dadlani and Shekhar Ravjiani (as Vishal-Shekhar). Background music was composed by Sanjoy Chowdhury, son of late Sri Salil Chowdhury.

The movie is about a man, who has been imprisoned for 14 years, who has been released and has 4 days to figure out why he was imprisoned in the first place.
Ich bin ein Brokie...