Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2572147 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"A" is Attack of the Puppet People (1958)
« Reply #2640 on: January 20, 2008, 01:37:45 pm »
This alternative classic from the prolific Bert I. Gordon, a rival to Ed Wood Jr. in the schlock hall of fame, will not make anyone forget "The Incredible Shrinking Man." The insane dollmaker Dr. Franz (Hoyt) shrinks six people (including our heroes Agar and Kenny) to the size of Ken and Barbie. Can they escape the mad scientist? The dog? The rat? The effects are nostalgically charming.

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
"B" is The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1957)
« Reply #2641 on: January 20, 2008, 02:04:26 pm »

The Barretts of Wimpole Street was a 1957 film originating from the United Kingdom, and was a word-for-word, and nearly shot-for-shot Metrocolor re-make of the earlier 1934 version by the same director, Sidney Franklin.  Franklin used exactly the same script for the second movie as he did for the first. The film, set in the early 19th century, starred John Gielgud, Jennifer Jones.  Bill Travers and Virginia McKenna, later the stars of Born Free, were also in the film.

The 1934 film depicted the real-life romance between poets Elizabeth Barrett (Norma Shearer) and Robert Browning (Fredric March), despite the opposition of her father Edward Moulton-Barrett (Charles Laughton).  Both of these films were released by MGM.

Next:  C from 1956
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"C" is The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
« Reply #2642 on: January 20, 2008, 05:35:44 pm »

Next:  "D" from 1955.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:40:57 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"D" is Daddy Long Legs (1955)
« Reply #2643 on: January 20, 2008, 05:55:58 pm »
==from IMDb==

Fred Astaire plays American corporate shareholder with interest in numerous companies who, on a trip to France, becomes enchanted from afar by an 18-year-old orphan and decides to sponsor her; she enrolls at college in Massachusetts, and dreams of who her benefactor is. Remake of an old Mary Pickford film shows a fashionably plush, sassy style in its fantasy sequences, but the rest of the film is bogged down by talk, and a plot that seems constructed by the numbers. Leslie Caron, still doing the orphan routine, looks more than ready to graduate, but she's delightful dancing with Astaire. In these musical moments, the film takes flight and becomes a '50's fashion-magazine come to life.

Next up: E in 1954
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
"E" is The Egyptian (1954)
« Reply #2644 on: January 20, 2008, 06:15:59 pm »

Starring Jean Simmons, Victor Mature and Gene Tierney

Next: F in 1953
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"F" is Forever Female (1953)
« Reply #2645 on: January 20, 2008, 06:21:28 pm »

Next:  "G" from 1952.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"G" is A Girl in Every Port (1952)
« Reply #2646 on: January 20, 2008, 06:42:28 pm »
==from IMDb==

Groucho Marx's sarcastic, occasionally fairly witty one-liners are the only saving grace of this otherwise weak, mediocre comedy. The cast tries, but the direction has no pacing, and the entire film is burdened with a convoluted, uninteresting plot. Strictly for Groucho devotees.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"H" is The House on Telegraph Hill (1951)
« Reply #2647 on: January 20, 2008, 06:51:25 pm »

From IMDB:
Although it is advertised as noir, "The House on Telegraph Hill" is a suspenser in the vein of Alfred Hitchcock's "Rebecca" and "Suspicion." If you are looking for an old-fashioned mystery this is a good choice. The movie surprised me because it did not unravel the way I expected. The story has one of those 'twisty' endings that is meant to fool you and I have to admit that I was genuinely caught off guard here. It is not perfect but the film's bizarre climax redeems the entire movie. Valentina Cortese ("Day For Night") is irresistible in the starring role. Richard Basehart is great too in an interesting supporting role. He plays the man who marries the troubled Cortese (they became an off-screen couple too). Once again, director Wise's direction is exemplary. He is very adept in creating a wonderfully gloomy atmosphere. It's a thrilling little movie.

Next I from 1950

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"I" is In A Lonely Place (1950)
« Reply #2648 on: January 21, 2008, 12:07:29 am »
Classic Film Noir...Bogart is outstanding as a volatile Hollywood screenwriter who has an affair with starlet Grahame while under suspicion of murder. Offbeat, yet superb film noir entry became one of the most memorable of the genre. Expertly directed by Ray. Based on the novel by Dorothy B. Hughes and an adaptation by Edmund H. North.

Trivia From IMDb:  Lauren Bacall and Ginger Rogers were considered for the role of Laurel Gray. Bogart naturally wanted his wife Bacall opposite him, but Warner Bros. refused to release her from her contract. Rogers was reportedly the producers' first choice, but Nicholas Ray convinced them that his own wife would be the right choice for the role.

Next up  "J" 1949
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:14:13 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
"J" is Jolson Sings Again (1949)
« Reply #2649 on: January 21, 2008, 12:09:49 am »

Starring Larry Parks, Barbara Hale and William Demarest

Next: K in 1948