Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2611071 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"R" is Rails and Ties (2007)
« Reply #4350 on: July 09, 2008, 03:02:49 pm »
Kevin Bacon played Tom Stark directed by Allison Eastwood.  Plot:  a deadly collision between a train and car lead to an unlikely bond between the train engineer and a young boy who escapes the carnage (IMDb).

The director with the poster.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"S" is Stir of Echoes (1999)
« Reply #4351 on: July 09, 2008, 03:21:29 pm »
Kevin Bacon played Tom Witzky.

From IMDB: Tom's a regular guy, a utilities lineman, married, with a young son, his wife is pregnant; he hangs out with long-time pals in a Chicago neighborhood. At a party, his sister-in-law hypnotizes him, and he goes into a deep trance. Before waking him, she suggests that he keep his mind open. That night he sees flashes of violence and the ghost of a young woman. His young son, too, is "a receiver," but while the boy is calm and coherent in his conversations with spirits, Tom is confused and agitated. Over time, the young woman's story comes to the surface, and Tom begins a hunt for her body that puts him and his usually understanding wife, Maggie, in grave danger.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"T" is Telling Lies in America (1997)
« Reply #4352 on: July 09, 2008, 03:25:51 pm »
From Amazon Reviewer L. Quido:

Enter Kevin Bacon, the perfect Svengali for a boy looking to become a man in the "coolest" way possible. Bacon is a hot disc jockey, whose personal code of honor is questionable. There is no question that this is one of his strongest performances ever. From body language to his Texas twang, his regret at how his life turned out (from a brief glimpse he shares late in the movie) makes him a standout playing an early 60's "lounge lizard". Bacon has a fine portfolio of work, but this is his ultimate role.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"U" is Up the Front (1972)
« Reply #4353 on: July 09, 2008, 03:40:54 pm »
Bob Hoskins starred in Up The Front and also with Kevin Bacon in Balto.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"V" is Villa des roses (2002)
« Reply #4354 on: July 09, 2008, 03:52:18 pm »
Julie Delpy, who was in "Villa des roses," was also in "The Air I Breathe" with Kevin Bacon.

From IMDb:  It's a totally surreal movie that did remind me of "Delicatessen." Even the peculiar pastel colors are similar. The tale? A new maid starts working at a dilapidated boarding house -- a pension -- in Paris, in 1913, and she gets involved with a young German artist who lives there. Her relationship with him is the central part of the plot, but the other characters add subplots in their own strange ways. The people who live there are peculiar, the owners are peculiar, the situations are peculiar... but I got caught in it and came to enjoy the faintly claustrophobic atmosphere. Drama, touches of black humor, absurdity, love and betrayal, it's got it all. Not an absolute masterpiece but well worth seeing.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"W" is White Water Summer (1987)
« Reply #4355 on: July 09, 2008, 03:55:41 pm »
Kevin Bacon plays Vic:

From IMDb:

An experienced guide (Vic) accompanies a city boy (Alan) and his three friends on their first wilderness experience. Hoping to teach the four boys lessons not only about the wilderness, but about themselves, Vic pushes them to the limit. Soon after alienating the boys, Vic finds himself in desperate need of help and must rely on his students in order to survive.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wildcard "X" is The Woodsman (2004)
« Reply #4356 on: July 09, 2008, 04:03:07 pm »
Kevin Bacon plays Walter, the title character.

Plot: A pedophile returns to his hometown after 12 years in prison and attempts to start a new life.

==COMMENT==
If you want to be creeped out, visit this film's IMDb forum...

==ASIDE==
I highly recommend Stir of Echos.  It came out around the same time as The Sixth Sense so it didn't get the attention it deserves.  It's a very effective supernatural thriller
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:37:40 pm by Fran »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"Y" is Young Doctors in Love (1982)
« Reply #4357 on: July 09, 2008, 04:29:59 pm »
Michael McKean starred in Young Doctors in Love and also with Kevin Bacon in The Big Picture (1982).

IMDb:  An 'Airplane'-style spoof of hospital soap operas: a brilliant young trainee can't stand the sight of blood; a doctor romances the head nurse in order to get the key to the drugs cabinet; there's a mafioso (Hector Elizondo, hilarious) on the loose disguised as a woman - in other words all the usual ingredients present and correct, though in this case the laughs are intentional.

My comment:  there were several cameos by then-famous soap opera stars to add to the fun.

Offline Fran

"Z" is La Zona (2007)
« Reply #4358 on: July 09, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »
Carlos Bardem (Javier's brother), who was in "La Zona," was also in "Goya's Ghosts" with Natalie Portman, who will be seen in the upcoming movie "New York, I Love You" (2009) with Kevin Bacon.

From IMDb:  The Zone is a wealthy neighborhood in the middle of Mexico City, fenced off and protected by private security guards, and surrounded by a shoking poverty.Three guys from the slums break in to one of the Zone´s houses. in the bungled robbery that follows, an old woman is killed, but her housemaid escapes and warns security. The guards take swift, brutal action: two of the intrudersare shot dead. The third, Miguel, escapes but is later hunted down by a group of residents who decide to administer their own justice against him, without the police. Meanwhile Alejandro, who is preparing for his birthday party, will have to face the most dificult trial of his life....

Offline Fran

Re: ABCs at the Movies: The "Crime Doesn't Pay... or Does It?" Round
« Reply #4359 on: July 09, 2008, 09:41:14 pm »
The "Crime Doesn't Pay... or Does It?" Round