Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2532481 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"F" is Fracture (completely O/T)
« Reply #1720 on: November 22, 2007, 07:25:18 am »

---Completely O/T Comment---

I spent the entire day in emerg yesterday, a full 8 hours! On my way to work I slipped & fell and broke my arm.  And man, it was so  painful I almost threw up!  The bone basically snapped in two creating a huge stomach-turning bump just above the wrist. Anyway, I took a cab to the nearest hospital and when they saw my arm, I was admitted almost immediately.  Basically, to go and wait in another room, lol!  They kept pumping me with morphine but the pain persisted, I was actually in tears at one point. 

There was talk of surgery to reset the bone but luckily the manual method was successful.  That part was surpringly painless because of the local anesthetic and fascinating to watch:  they put my fingers in finger braces hanging from an IV drip rack and then placed weights on my upper arm so I could actually watch my forearm slowly re-align itself.  Then the doctor put a wet plaster 'sandwich' & manually 'molded' my arm back in place while the plaster was drying.  Thank god for drugs! 

Despite how long it took I was impressed with the level of care I received, the doc was very caring and inspired confidence and everyone else was great.

I just thought I'd share...

My arm looked something like this (ewww!):

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "F" is Fracture (completely O/T)
« Reply #1721 on: November 22, 2007, 08:15:38 am »
Oilgun...what a day, and what an experience! Glad to hear the care was good and you are on the mend. Will you be taking some time off from work which means...more time to play the movie game? LOL...

Leslie
GameMistress
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"T" is The Toast of New Orleans
« Reply #1722 on: November 22, 2007, 08:36:34 am »
==comment==

This is from an IMDb commenter: This is without a doubt the most consistently cheerful of Lanza's movies, and a real hoot. Mario's hitherto unknown comedic skills are a big surprise, and the supporting cast of J Carroll Naish and David Niven is wonderful. I wish I could say the same for co-star Kathryn Grayson, but her shrill coloratura, grating vibrato and minimal acting skills make her a poor match for Lanza.

This is the film that introduced Lanza's signature song, Be My Love. The scene in which the song is first sung (as a duet between Grayson and Lanza) is great fun to watch, with both singers trying to outdo the other. The Madama Butterfly Love Duet scene is even better, as Lanza throws caution to the wind and shows Grayson the true meaning of PASSION.

Were it not for Grayson, the movie would merit the highest evaluation. Despite this one casting flaw, Toast of New Orleans is an excellent vehicle for newcomers to opera. Like the man himself, Lanza's screen character's lusty ways and thorough lack of pretentiousness are a breath of fresh air, and he sings impressively throughout. Highlights include the Libiamo (much better than his commercial recording), a gorgeous Bayou Lullaby and the aforementioned Butterfly Love Duet.

Following this movie, Lanza would go on to star in The Great Caruso, the pinnacle of his movie career and the film that has influenced more singers than any other in cinematic history.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"F" is Fracture (completely O/T)
« Reply #1723 on: November 22, 2007, 10:36:23 am »
Sorry to hear about your arm, oilgun.  :(  I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before your arm is as good as new.

Is your cast one of those neon colors?  :)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #1724 on: November 22, 2007, 11:18:56 am »
Sorry to hear about your arm, oilgun.  :(  I'm hoping it's only a matter of time before your arm is as good as new.

Is your cast one of those neon colors?  :)

thanks Fran & Leslie!  I don't have a full cast yet, because of the swelling they put it in a splint-type cast wrapped with tensor bandage.   I'll be getting a more permanent one tomorrow when i go to the fracture clinic where they'll make sure the bone has been reset correctly.  I'd like something in taupe or black if they have it, lol!  And I am taking the rest of the week off, I hardly slept last night from the pain.

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving, if you're American!

Offline Fran

« Reply #1725 on: November 22, 2007, 11:52:33 am »
I'd like something in taupe or black if they have it, lol! 

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving, if you're American!

What, no neon green for you?  :)

Pain in not good, especially if it keeps you from sleeping.  :(

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Offline opinionista

"U" is Under My Skin
« Reply #1726 on: November 22, 2007, 05:41:30 pm »
==Comment==

According to Wikipedia:

Under My Skin is a 1950 American film directed by Jean Negulesco, starring John Garfield and Micheline Presle. It is based on the short story My Old Man by Ernest Hemingway about a jockey being threatened by a mobster after winning a race he had agreed to throw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_My_Skin_(film)

Ernest Hemingway

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline oilgun

"V" is Vigilante Hideout
« Reply #1727 on: November 22, 2007, 06:01:55 pm »

Let's get this awful decade over with!

Offline Ellemeno

"W" is Wyoming Mail
« Reply #1728 on: November 22, 2007, 10:30:51 pm »
The film's poster:

Not the film's poster:

Oh Gil, I'm sorry to read about your fracture.  Tell you what, it brought back my own broken arm of '85 to me.  Ugh.  I had a hard time sleeping for quite a while.  Let's hope your experience is very different.  I'm glad you're getting some good care.  Like Leslie said, I hope it means we'll get to see more of you here!

P.S.  I was so tired from all the prep, cooking, cleaning, hosting, cleaning, etc. that I fell asleep for half an hour with my laptop on my lap when I was searching for a W movie.  :)

Offline Fran

Wildcard "X" is All About Eve
« Reply #1729 on: November 23, 2007, 12:21:09 am »