Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2533853 times)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"L" is Lady and the Tramp (1955)
« Reply #1980 on: December 06, 2007, 01:18:56 pm »
The second-best on-screen kiss!

(The best, of course, is below:)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"M" is Mrs. Reynolds Needs a Nurse (1963)
« Reply #1981 on: December 06, 2007, 01:33:31 pm »
==comment==

Okay, so it is not really a "guilty pleasure" but it is a movie I've never forgotten. I saw this my sophomore year in college. The movie was conceived by Dolores Little, a faculty member at the University of Washington. In her words, "One of the things that came from examining curriculum was an interest in improving understanding about the needs of psychiatric patients. In working at Harborview I had been involved in helping a particularly difficult psychiatric patient and decided to write up the case and present it to a film company I knew of. The head of the education division came out to visit me and we ended up making ‘Mrs. Reynolds Needs a Nurse’ based on this case. The film was cast with personnel from Harborview and in fact I played the supervisor who ‘finally sees the light.’ Virginia Olcott, played the difficult ‘patient’ and someone who worked in the laundry room played her ‘husband.’

The film won Best Documentary at the Canadian Film Festival and the Chris Memorial Award and has been shown around the world.

You can watch it at the University of Washington website:

http://www.son.washington.edu/about/h_mrs-reynolds.asp
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
'N' is the Naked Gun (1991)
« Reply #1982 on: December 06, 2007, 02:44:29 pm »
okay, I'll admit, very silly, but funny too.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline oilgun

"O" is O Fantasma (2000)
« Reply #1983 on: December 06, 2007, 02:48:55 pm »
Ok, this is definitely a very guilty pleasure.  I saw it at the Toronto InsideOut film Festival and was completely mesmerized by it.   Many people absolutely loath it and I have to admit that the second half is a bit hard to take.  That's when the protagonist having lost touch with reality creeps around the Lisbon city dump dressed in a rubber suit, eats garbage & small woodland animals & drinks black water.  The lead (non)actor's performance is so compelling throughout the film that I return to it on a regular basis.

“But one night Sérgio views the phantom of his dreams (Andre Barbosa), [a handsome man on a motorcycle], who awakens in him the obsession of love. Sérgio begins to spy on him, to go through his rubbish, to follow him, and eventually, he breaks into his house, pissing on his bed like a dog marking its territory...
Excerpt from http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/archives/online_features/superheros.php

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"P" is Planet of the Apes (1968)
« Reply #1984 on: December 06, 2007, 02:54:36 pm »

Dr. Zira: What will he find out there, doctor?
Dr. Zaius: His destiny.

Still gives me chills.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "P" is Planet of the Apes (1968)
« Reply #1985 on: December 06, 2007, 03:20:46 pm »

Still gives me chills.

I remember seeing that in the Sayville Movie Theater and just about freaking out. I had no clue what the ending was going to be...I didn't read movie reviews in those days. Oh my, what an experience that was!

Folks, I am going to make a GameMistress executive decision and say we skip Q and go right to R. I just went through the Q movies and about the only thing we haven't played was "Quest for Camelot" (which was lousy, certainly not a guilty pleasure) or "Quo Vadis" (which I've never seen, so I can't call that a guilty pleasure). So....

Hope that's all right with everyone!

Leslie
GameMistress
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"R" is Reckless (1984)
« Reply #1986 on: December 06, 2007, 03:21:21 pm »
==comment==

with Aidan Quinn and Daryl Hannah. Unfortunately, this is becoming a guilty pleasure only in my memory since it is not out on DVD and I haven't seen it in years. Quinn plays the boy "from the wrong side of the tracks" and Hannah is the cheerleader who wants to take some risks. As I recall, it had a couple of sizzling hot sex scenes (one in a pool, another in her parent's bedroom) and a great soundtrack. I would love to see this again and see what I think of it,  25 years later.

Offline oilgun

"Q" is Q: The Winged Serpent (1982)
« Reply #1987 on: December 06, 2007, 03:43:08 pm »
Folks, I am going to make a GameMistress executive decision and say we skip Q and go right to R. I just went through the Q movies and about the only thing we haven't played was "Quest for Camelot" (which was lousy, certainly not a guilty pleasure) or "Quo Vadis" (which I've never seen, so I can't call that a guilty pleasure). So....

I have a "Q"! And it's a movie I've seen and it fits quite nicely in this round.

Like most Cohen films, it bubbles with an extraordinary wildness of imagery and subtext, almost to the point of overflow. In many of the numerous pickup shots of the city, Cohen, for instance, deliberately notes the striking similarity of the architecture between the flying buttresses on the Chrysler Building and the design of Aztec temples. Cohen inserts all sorts of sardonic analogies between Aztec religion and modern culture: “The donor’s heart is ritually removed and presented to the gods – luckily these days all we have to do is take the water and drink the wine – that’s what I call being civilized,” David Carradine’s detective notes in one of his dry asides.
Excerpt from: http://www.moria.co.nz/horror/q.htm

Offline opinionista

"S" is Sixteen Candles (1984)
« Reply #1988 on: December 06, 2007, 03:45:26 pm »
I looove this movie!

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "Q" is Q: The Winged Serpent (1982)
« Reply #1989 on: December 06, 2007, 03:51:06 pm »
I have a "Q"! And it's a movie I've seen and it fits quite nicely in this round.

I stand corrected! Thanks, oilgun! I figured we'd be sitting here for 3 days waiting for someone to post a Q. Thanks for jumping in!

Natali has S, next up, T.

L