Author Topic: Moonlight  (Read 12009 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Moonlight
« on: October 13, 2007, 02:31:15 pm »
So, we have a thread here for C.S.I. Anybody else besides me begun to watch Moonlight on CBS on Friday nights?

I'm not a big fan of vampire stuff--never in my life watched an episode of Buffy--but I am liking Moonlight.

Alex O'Loughlin is pretty easy on the eyes, and Sophia Myles is very pretty.

All I'll say at present until I know whether anyone else is watching and interested.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Moonlight
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 04:37:09 pm »

I was going to watch that the other night, but my daughter needed me to help her with
something..so    If it is good, Ill watch it..for sure...my goodness you are right..That boy is a
stunner alright.

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 05:01:06 pm »

I was going to watch that the other night, but my daughter needed me to help her with
something..so    If it is good, Ill watch it..for sure...my goodness you are right..That boy is a
stunner alright.

I recommend it.  ;)

Spoilers (somewhat):

There are touches of humor to the show that I'm greatly enjoying, even though you have to think about them a bit.

Mick (O'Loughlin) was turned into a vampire by his ex-wife. OK. The ex-wife as blood-sucker. ...

Mick's friend Josef, also a vampire, appears to be very wealthy. OK. The millionaire capitalist as blood-sucker. ...

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Funny exchange between Mick and Beth (Sophia Myles), who is following him into a potentially dangerous situation:

Mick: "And 'Wait in the car' means what?

Beth: "Yeah, like that worked out real well last time."

(In the pilot episode she shot a man who was going after Mick with a blowtorch.)

How do they do it? Alex O'Loughlin is Australian (another one!) and Sophia Myles is British, and they are both able to sound like pure-bred Americans.

Alex O'Loughlin is perfectly cast as a tragic-romantic vampire hero.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 07:09:40 pm »
Ooooh, I'm so loving this show!

Two great shots of Mick with his shirt open in Friday's episode.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 10:22:36 am »
It's Friday! Tonight I get to see my favorite sexy "vamp." Yeehaw!  ;D

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:16:00 am »
I'm not a big fan of vampire stuff--never in my life watched an episode of Buffy--but I am liking Moonlight.

I need to check this out, I guess.  I had never watched an episode of Buffy either until very recently.  Suz Brockmann had dinner with Joss Whedon (a charity auction, I think) and posted about how terrific he was - she was so iimpressed by his work, I decided I had to see what the fuss was about.  Now Netflix can't get the back episodes to me fast enough.  I'm loving it!  The sense of humor is fabulous.  :D  So many awesome one-liners and dry British-like wit.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 03:24:10 pm »
Wasn't Sophia Myles in "Underworld" playing a vampire?

Heh, guess she liked doing that a lot more than wearing corsets in the historical dramas she'd starred in previously.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 01:48:26 pm »
Since I'm more-or-less talking to myself on this thread  ;D I'm not going to worry about spoilers. ...

I am actually very intrigued by the concept of this series. In the first place, I'm kind of suspicious that the creators may have envisioned it as only a short-term deal, maybe only a couple of seasons at the most. Why?

Well, in the first place I was surprised that Mick "came out"  ;D to Beth so early in the series, only the second episode.

Now we have the development of Is the photographer (Shannon Sossamyn) really Coraline, or is she not?

If she is, has she come back from the dead as human, or is she still a vampire?

If she has somehow come back as human--that must mean that it is possible to reverse vampirism (at least in the universe of this story).

Moreover, this show is clearly becoming a Mick-and-Beth love story. I have no quarrel with that. I'm loving watching Alex O'Loughlin and Sophia Myles together.  :)

After the Nov. 16 episode, it seems pretty clear that they are setting up that the only way our vampire Romeo Mick can really be with our human Juliet Beth is for his vampirism to be reversed somehow--and in the universe of this story, if Coraline has come back as human, then reversing vampirism is possible.

And if Mick can become human again so that he can really be with Beth--end of story.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 07:22:57 pm »
I need to check this out, I guess.  I had never watched an episode of Buffy either until very recently.  Suz Brockmann had dinner with Joss Whedon (a charity auction, I think) and posted about how terrific he was - she was so iimpressed by his work, I decided I had to see what the fuss was about.  Now Netflix can't get the back episodes to me fast enough.  I'm loving it!  The sense of humor is fabulous.  :D  So many awesome one-liners and dry British-like wit.

I didn't watch Buffy much when it was playing.  I would catch a few episodes here and there.  But then months ago, I decided to get the first few seasons.  Loved it!  I ended up getting all 7 seasons on DVD and I have seen all the episodes.  I haven't enjoyed any other vampire show as much as Buffy.  I'll try to catch an ep of Moonlight one of these fridays..

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 10:25:21 pm »
Spoilers Galore!!!!!

Well, Friday was certainly an interesting episode.

According to TV Guide, the show is not scheduled to air Friday, Nov. 30 (nor is its lead-in, Ghost Whisperer); maybe the writers' strike has caught up with it?

So anyway, we have now established that Morgan, the mysterious photographer (who wears fabulous shoes  ::)  ;D  :laugh: ), is in fact Coraline, Mick's ex-wife and the vampire who "turned" him. Except that Coraline has somehow risen from the dead as human.  ??? Which means that in the universe of this story, it is somehow possible to reverse vampirism. And how did Coraline come back from the dead?  ???

I'm almost less concerned with these mysteries about Coraline and vamprisim in the Moonlight universe than I am about how they're going to untangle the mess we were left with at the conclusion of the episode.

As the episode concluded, Beth, having figured out the Morgan and Coraline were one and the same, and assuming the Morgan/Coraline was a vampire, stabbed her with a stake. Except that Morgan/Coraline is not a vampire, she's human, so that Beth has just committed attempted murder--and actual murder if Morgan/Coraline dies. And if she doesn't die I can't imagine she's going to be in a very forgiving mood toward Beth.  ???

I'm still loving the bits of humor thrown into this show. Beth goes to Mick's friend Josef to ask for information about Coraline, and Josef tells her that he had met Coraline in New York--"Lincoln was president."  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 10:09:53 am »
A happy surprise! Our department holiday celebration was Monday afternoon, Dec. 3. The department provided us with tickets to see August Rush, and then dinner at a nice Italian restaurant next door to the theater. The surprise was that Alex O'Loughlin had a supporting role in August Rush, playing (with an Irish accent) the rock-and-roller brother of the character played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 05:09:44 pm »
I have read in TV Guide that Moonlight returns April 11!

Yeehaw!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 11:43:51 pm »
Well I see now that all my promoting of Alex/Mick was not really necessary.  Glad you bumped up this thread.  I am addicted to this show and missing it!  Can't wait for its return.  Now it had better not get cancelled!  Everyone watch it, please!!!!!

I never buy contemporary TV series on DVD, but you can bet I'll be buying Moonlight when it comes out on DVD! I love watching Mick and Beth together.  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 12:24:13 pm »
I have occasionally bought a series on DVD when we plan to travel a lot.  Great for hotel room viewing anywhere in the world if you travel with a notebook computer!  I also love Mick and Beth together.  And they are both so gorgeous - something for everyone!

What truly amazes me is that Alex O'Loughlin is Australian and Sophia Myles is British, yet they are able to make Mick sound like he's from--I don't know--Chicago maybe?--and Beth sound so--downright American. I doubt that American actors could do as well making themselves sound like foreigners.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 03:29:53 pm »
I love the little touches of humor that get tossed in, in this show.

Spoiler:

In one episode, Beth was asking Josef (Jason Dorhn) if he knew Coraline, Mick's ex-wife. Josef said, "I knew her in New York. Lincoln was president."  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:32:06 am »
Actually, I was a little surprized how soon Mick "came out" to Beth. I thought they might have worked another episode or two in before she found out the truth. But, then again--Spoiler Alert!--I really liked the episode where Mick nearly "died" in that desert motel. (The attack helicopter was a bit much, though.  ;D )

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 04:11:59 pm »
SPOILERS - Josh dying was another surprise, along with what Beth asked Mick to do.

Agreed! What a dilemma for Mick!  :(  But I knew he couldn't do it, not being as conflicted as he is about being a "vamp."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 10:35:04 am »
But will Beth ever forgive Mick now?  I think the show's writers had to create some barrier or it would have been too easy for Mick and Beth to get together without Josh there, although there is Coraline.

We'll just have to wait and see where they go with it. Beth knows how conflicted Mick is, and everyone has been telling her how obvious it is that there is something between her and Mick.

There is a lot up in the air right now. What's happened to Coraline, now that her brother dragged her off somewhere (interesting that in the end he cared more about Coraline "turning" a mortal commoner--Mick--without Mick agreeing to it than he cared about Mick)? How long before that "antidote" wears off, and then what? It seems to me that Mick is very vulnerable while he's "under the influence."  And--my memory is a little hazy--but wasn't there something about Beth and Coraline having the same blood type? And Mick has "fed" on Beth's blood. ... Or maybe that was just a red herring before we learned about the herbal "antidote"?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 11:38:42 am »
I thought it was a little silly of Mick to try to become human when he would clearly need his vampire powers.  I assume he would prefer to be a live human.

But it was kinda funny to see him gorging himself on take-out, once he could actually "eat" again.  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 03:59:39 pm »
I just watched last Friday's episode last night.  That ending!!!!!

Spoiler Alert!

Since the show has been canceled, at least the Mick-Beth relationship was brought to a satisfactory point.

It's funny, but I half suspect they reshot the ending after they got the news--or had already filmed an "extra" ending just in case. If the show were returning in the fall, I might have expected the episode to end with both of them leaning their heads against a wall--and who does that remind us of?  ;D  But then Mick rushes back into Beth's apartment, and, well, we know the rest.  :)

On the other hand, unresolved is that the ADA has in hand a list of all the vamps in L.A. And whose voice was it on the phone? The husband-vamp, who chose to be immolated with his wife?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 09:45:06 pm »
I am holding out hope that fans will be able to bring back more episodes.  It worked in the case of Jericho.  There is a movement to save the show on Facebook, with a phone number to call with comments.  I expect you're right about the final scene.  This was such a great show.  I am so angry that all the decent shows with interesting plots and excellent acting get cancelled!

Add clever writing to that mix, too. There were times when I even actually laughed out loud at this show, because I thought something was really clever.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 04:01:08 pm »
From Facebook:

The fight is on...From MOONLIGHT
Today at 12:10pm
I am sending this to get your fighting juices flowing again since it's been a week since we found out our great little show was canceled. The Moonlight Army has been in full force trying to get out show picked up by another network, but WE NEED YOUR HELP. The following website is dedicated to getting Moonlight back on the air, and it has a few ideas on how u can help!

OPERATION RENEW MOONLIGHT - http://moonlight-united.com

VAMPIRE SOLIDARITY...RAH, RAH, RAH!

Thanks for posting the link, Susie. That's amazing!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »
You're welcome!  I really like this show.

Me, too! I never would have thought I would have so gotten into a straight love story.  ::)  :laugh:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 04:08:03 pm »
this cancelation sucks...so to speak ;D

I don´t watch many shows, but the ones I do start to follow always get canceled. Grrr

I love vampire shows (I was addicted to Buffy for a long time) and also watched Blood Ties if anyone else here perhaps saw it?
That show was canceled last fall...grrr

Im now waiting for the new HBO vampire drama to start but with my luck it will probably run for two episodes before its canceled

bitter?

You can bite your ass I am O0

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:42 pm »
Yep, same here.  It is very frustrating.  TV is full of shows that really suck, and the good ones don't last.

And what does that tell us about the target audience for most TV shows?  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 03:19:07 pm »
OK, fans of Mick and Beth, Moonlight has now been released on DVD. Yeehaw!  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 08:55:55 am »
Perhaps it's time to retitle this thread "Three Rivers."

Alex O'Loughlin's new series, a medical drama where he plays a transplant surgeon in Pittsburgh (!) has its debut this Sunday. CBS was promoting it heavily last night--and Alex O'Loughlin, too. One commercial I saw dubbed him "a rising star."

Well, he could sure get a rise out of me. ...  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 08:45:30 am »
It's back! Moonlight is back!  :D

No, not new episodes, but it appears that for the summer, the CW is running Moonlight on Thursdays, following Vampire Diaries.

I've heard good buzz about the retread of Hawaii 5-0 with Alex O'Loughlin as Steve McGarrett, but for me he will always be tough-guy L.A. "vamp" P.I. Mick St. John.