Author Topic: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?  (Read 26994 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2007, 08:40:02 pm »
Does the homophobia need to be verbalized for it to exist??  No doubt there were and still are alot of unspoken rules.  Jack and Ennis are both closeted.   What would have happend if they has lived together or at least been more open about their relationship.   Would Ennis have been allowed to see his daughters if he was living with a man?   Would they have been harassed by their neighbors. Would someone  have gone out one night and shot their livestock if they did have a cattle and calf operation.  No doubt they could have faced social ostracizing or worse. Best bet would have been to move to Denver... That wasn't going to happen.

Ennis and Jack lived in very ignorant times.  No doubt they had their share of internalized homophobia as they both can't deal with the queer label.

That's sorta my point. They lived in a very homophobic society, which bred the internalized homophobia, particularly in Ennis.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2007, 03:27:45 am »

Well I think that the movie has already softened some of the issues that it presented.  Seeing the
acceptance, even popularity for gay relationships being presented.  They are now on television in daytime.
It is at the time of day that people of all ages, and lifestyles can see it..That to me has to be a great
advance..(In only two years. ) I think that in 30 years it will be as commonplace as mixed marriages, and
sex before marriage, or as was once called, "living in sin."  Those are a lot of the changes that have
been made in the past 30 years. Now I think since BBM has become the frontrunner in making this
acceptable.  It will always be accepted as ground breaking.  But as always though the kids will just wonder '
what the big fuss is about...They will want to see a gay love affair with more realistic sex,  no clothes and
that other not sex kind of sex being shown..
          30 years is a long time at the fast pace we live these days....

Beautiful mind

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2007, 12:09:28 pm »
I think and hope it will become a great clasic romance/tragedy like "Gone with the Wind".  I don't think it matters on how progressive society will be, this movie will still be a ground breaking film.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2007, 06:57:37 pm »
It may become a ground-making film, but it will remain anti-gay!! In more than one way!

More and more will see it as an anti-gay movie... unfortunately or fortunately.

I believe that it could and must be replaced by a better one still, and be pro-gay much more if it is a gay one now!!

The democratic countries (such as the USA, Canada, England and France, among others) are fast becoming un-democratic and will be ANTI-GAY unfortunately because of letting islamic so-called religion(s) con and rule us and destroy us (murder not only gays neither who will line up); I fear and see now!! Therefore, this BM movie will be NOT shown anymore in such islamic countries as will be the USA, Canada, England, and France!!

What do you think?

Hugs!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2007, 07:07:25 pm »
It may become a ground-making film, but it will remain anti-gay!! In more than one way!

More and more will see it as an anti-gay movie... unfortunately or fortunately.

I believe that it could and must be replaced by a better one still, and be pro-gay much more if it is a gay one now!!

The democratic countries (such as the USA, Canada, England and France, among others) are fast becoming un-democratic and will be ANTI-GAY unfortunately because of letting islamic so-called religion(s) con and rule us and destroy us (murder not only gays neither who will line up); I fear and see now!! Therefore, this BM movie will be NOT shown anymore in such islamic countries as will be the USA, Canada, England, and France!!

What do you think?

Hugs!

I honestly can't think of one thing that makes Brokeback Mountain anti-gay, Artiste. I really can't.  ???
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2007, 07:08:57 pm »
Thanks David!

You will ??

Hugs!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2007, 07:14:35 pm »
I honestly can't think of one thing that makes Brokeback Mountain anti-gay, Artiste. I really can't.  ???

Me, neither.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2007, 07:18:00 pm »
Come on... guys!!

It is nice to be dreaming of a DREAMY GAY WORLD!! But let's wake up to the reasons Annie and or the BM movie was made!! They talk about ANTI-GAY time then and NOW and the FUTURE!!

Review it?

Hugs!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2007, 07:40:05 pm »

Artiste, are you misunderstanding the meaning of anti gay?   Confusing the term with homophobic.?  The
movie does show a great deal of that behavior and prejudice.  That basically is the object of the film.  To show
how two young men could be totally in love.  And not be able to make that love happen rightly, because
of homophobia....That is the whole point of the movie...
      Homophobia is a real and insidious behavior and thought..It hides its ugly head, until a fortutious chance
appears for it to act.  That is partly on the wane, and as you have said also the part that is rising is probably
very insidious and hidden.  Therefor very dangerous.  All we can do is educate, and try to change it as much
as we can...Changing one heart at a time...

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2007, 09:46:40 pm »
Thanks ifyoucantfixit!

I do think like you that to try to change one at a time... is a good way towards humanity!

However, there are also other means: one must demand laws, pass them and use them too; otherwise, criminals will murder more and more gays and get away with it, as too many do now in our democratic societies! And too much of that useless murderings is also in so-called social countries now, like the islamic ones who kill gay by lining them up!

The BM film is, I feel and I find, a warning against us gay men being murdered just because we are gay persons!! Indeed!! I do not see that as over-reaching the reserve of that movie? To me, the movie warns us of the anti-gays groups (like islam) being more and more important even in our democratic countries!!  Do you see that?

Hugs!