Author Topic: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?  (Read 26764 times)

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
Re: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2007, 05:32:59 pm »
I hope that it is still viewed as one of the greatest movies and helped paved the way to a better society than the one we live in today.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2007, 08:52:53 pm »
30 years from now, maybe! As a gay frontier film or as an anti-gay one!!?? Or it will likely be burned by the so-called religion(s) like the islamic ones having taken over our democraties!!

The one called Compulsion done in the 1920's (1927?) is considered a gay film to-day? Maybe?!! But the then times did not dare discuss it, even too low voices of the lawyers in front of the judge, but the camera and the main actors did present it in form: called homosexuality then!!?? Even, if was based on fact, about the two gays who murdered! It was talked about again, like last year on TV, to-night this 2007!!

So will the BM movie be talked about the same way as Compulsion is now (60+ years after)? How?

Hugs!

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2007, 10:44:09 am »
It is very difficult to imagine how moviegoers will view BBM 30 years from now. I'm sure it will always remain a masterpiece to me as well as to most people here on the forum. One thing that I still find sad is that many people never bothered to see Brokeback and it wasn't necessarily because of any gay theme. Instead for some it had to do with the way the movie was portrayed by people such as the late night talk show hosts and others turning it into "the gay cowboy" movie. Many thought it was a comedy about gay cowboys. I will not go into my thoughts concerning the portrayal of it on SNL when Jake hosted. My thoughts on that have not been popular and are not relevant here except to say that I certainly hope that in 30 years and hopefully sooner people will realize that this is truly a classic movie and is by no means a comedy.

It is truly hard to predict what kinds of changes will occur in 30 years in relation to ideas about homosexuality and the like. Social change is many times slow to come. Someone pointed out that it may similar to how racism is now......underground. In viewing how prejudice and homophobia are now in areas where diversity and differing sexual orientations is supposed to be accepted I would tend to agree that this could be the case. Where I work is supposedly a gay friendly place where differing sexual orientations are celebrated and discrimination is not allowed. On the outside that all works fine, but it is obvious that homophobia and hatred are rampant once the cover is taken off and the jokes begin. Those who are out, in many cases, are not even aware that while people are nice to them to their face the jokes begin as soon as their backs are turned. Of course I live in the south where acceptance is not the rule of thumb anyway. If we move northward towards New York City where I recently was on one of the sightseeing Gray Line buses. I really thought it was great that the tour guide pointed out Christopher Street and that NYC loved to say that they completely accepted diversity and that their large gay population was a source of pride for them. That all sounded great and even made me feel good. However, I also know a fireman with the FDNY and that picture is not so crystal clear there. Upon closer inspection, I found out from him that he was actually quite afraid of the other firemen thinking he was gay. He had actually been joked with before about it and it is apparently not an uncommon practice among the department to make fun of gay people. The NYPD is no better. The guy with the FDNY, who is by the way not gay as far as I know, would be afraid of losing his job if the department thought he was gay. As far as I could tell San Francisco did seem to be accepting; however, I also didn't talk to any straight people about it. For some reason I feel that the homophobia may even exist there underground. I can't really say for sure.

So what I am getting to is that there is still a lot of change that needs to occur before Brokeback is looked at as "the way people used to think." We are still a long way from that. This is obvious when we realize that even in places which seem all accepting the jokes and homophobia are just beneath the surface. I wish I could see 30 years in the future and find that people are shocked by the way people are treated now and back in the days when Ennis and Jack lived. I truly hope that happens. It would be wonderful to know that it becomes celebrated that two people can love each other without it mattering what gender they happen to be. There are way too many problems in the world for people to spend useful their time on rather than condemning and making jokes of people for love.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2007, 12:27:48 pm »
Thanks jstephens9!

I like very much your statement and views!

Belong too much pro-violence in the Brokeback Mountain movie as I see it, what I found mainly disconcerning (is that the word or is it discrediting?)... is that a great many ladies (and likely others too) see it MAINLY as these 2 men being BAD because they married ladies!! ??

What do you think of that? And you all?

Hugs!!

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2008, 04:27:14 am »
Well, I am a bit late to reply to this, but I thought I might as well. I am a woman, but I don't think they are bad. While I do feel for the women (especially Alma, as she seemed heartbroken) I don't think it makes the men bad because they married women. What else could they have done? The time was horrible and unaccepting. It isn't great now, but it is a lot better.

Thanks jstephens9!

I like very much your statement and views!

Belong too much pro-violence in the Brokeback Mountain movie as I see it, what I found mainly disconcerning (is that the word or is it discrediting?)... is that a great many ladies (and likely others too) see it MAINLY as these 2 men being BAD because they married ladies!! ??

What do you think of that? And you all?

Hugs!!
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2008, 08:14:00 am »
............  It would be wonderful to know that it becomes celebrated that two people can love each other without it mattering what gender they happen to be. There are way too many problems in the world for people to spend useful their time on rather than condemning and making jokes of people for love.

That's a good thought, Jack. There was a time when problems in the world (such as major wars) brought people closer together. A lot of that was national 'mateship', though, and worked against acceptance of same gender romantic love.

In this age the idea of 'mateship' seems to have dwindled as we become more of a global community, where that attitude is seen to be out of step, and there is somewhat more knowledge and acceptance of others' beliefs and values. We have been educated to be more accepting that people are diverse, and it is necessary to train ourselves to think that way if we want to be a part of this world.

In 30 years time? Maybe BBM will be seen as just one example of the many different forms love takes.
By then, such acceptance that it's ok for anyone to love anyone may even be so commonplace that the movie will not have much of an audience.
In a way, that might be a good thing. Unless it meant that love in many forms was accepted to the point that it lost some of it's magic.
While love is something unique between two people, and a lot of folk just don't understand, it is something special, and isn't that part of why BBM is special ?

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2008, 12:51:51 pm »
I have been saddened, shocked and, quite frankly, disgusted at how my acquaintances and indeed, some of my friends have reacted. 

My husband and I watched it together.  He enjoyed the film immensely, however did not have the same hugely powerful reaction that I had.  He has watched it with me on many occasions since, and we have discussed and debated the film over many a bottle (or two!) of wine.  I have been extremely lucky to have a sounding board, and this is probably why I have not joined the forum before now. 

Back on topic however, I have encouraged many friends and ‘people I know’ to watch the film.  Many have stated flat out that they have no intention of watching it and others have ridiculed the film (without seeing it). 

Even worse, I was on a night out with my husband’s office, and he was actually ridiculed by his colleagues for watching and (gosh!) enjoying the film. 

How will the film be viewed in 2038?  Hopefully society will have moved on and people will at least ‘view’ it before deciding on their opinion.