Author Topic: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?  (Read 26763 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 03:33:50 pm »
Proulx herself was called to be on the jury for the trial of his murderers. She didn't have to serve.

Go Figure!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 03:44:29 pm »
Proulx herself was called to be on the jury for the trial of his murderers. She didn't have to serve.

I've read this before. To be honest, to me it seems a bit much of a coincidence and it's hard for me to believe. It just fits too neatly, it has a touch of an urban (or rural, in this case) legend to me.
I've read people talk about this bit of trivia repeated times. But what I've never read so far is a direct quote of Annie Proulx where she attests to this story. Which of course doesn't mean it doesn't exist - and I'd be happy to get a link to it.

I don't say it's not true (how could I?) - but I'm sceptic.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 03:47:48 pm »
I think, and I'll have to check when I get home to be sure, but I think it is in the Story to Screenplay book she speaks about it.

Man I been at this so long it is starting to get fuzzy.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 04:02:47 pm »
No not at all.  I didn't see and don't see it as a socially relevent film.

So you're saying this film is socially irrelevant?

It is a wonderfull piece of art, and as close to a  perfectly crafted as a film can be, but if they meant for this film to act as a catalyst for change, it had to have been directed toward gay people and not toward those we wish to change.

You don't think it can--and does--do both? There seems to be anecdotal evidence that it does.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 04:03:48 pm »
I think, and I'll have to check when I get home to be sure, but I think it is in the Story to Screenplay book she speaks about it.

Man I been at this so long it is starting to get fuzzy.

Nope, not in the STS book. Must have been somewhere else.

Scott6373

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 04:11:28 pm »
So you're saying this film is socially irrelevant?

No.  I am saying that I personally don't think this film advanced the fight for gay rights in my life.  In fact, based on the jokes and ribbing I have heard since its release, quite the opposite.

You don't think it can--and does--do both? There seems to be anecdotal evidence that it does.

Again, in my personal experience, it did very little to shed light on the struggles and  horrors that I have faced as a gay man.  No one has come up to me and said, "Was it like that for you?"  They have however said, "You gonna become a cowboy now?"

This film will always be important to me for the humanist teachings it portrays:  for the lessons about personal accountability, and ownership of ones life and life choices, but, it is not important to me for the boost it gave to my fight for equal rights under the law.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 06:09:33 pm »
Nope, not in the STS book. Must have been somewhere else.

Your right, let me work on this and see if it can be confirmed or not.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 06:12:41 pm »
Okay here is an article in the Village Voice that mentions it:

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0548,winter,70454,20.html

However it would be good to have some other confirmation of it, I will work on it some more this evening.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2007, 06:25:47 pm »
No.  I am saying that I personally don't think this film advanced the fight for gay rights in my life.  In fact, based on the jokes and ribbing I have heard since its release, quite the opposite.

Again, in my personal experience, it did very little to shed light on the struggles and  horrors that I have faced as a gay man.  No one has come up to me and said, "Was it like that for you?"  They have however said, "You gonna become a cowboy now?"

This film will always be important to me for the humanist teachings it portrays:  for the lessons about personal accountability, and ownership of ones life and life choices, but, it is not important to me for the boost it gave to my fight for equal rights under the law.

Well, just because you feel it hasn't done anything to advance gay rights in your life doesn't mean it hasn't done anything--period.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 06:29:45 pm »
BBM is a solid film with great acting and a solid storyline.  It's also a unique film.  Will there ever be another film that combine same sex love in the 1960's west. Hence, I don't think this "genre" is in any danger of being overdone. So I hope it will still be considered a cinematic landmark for decades to come.   

I'd like to hope that in 2035, ppl still love this film and find it powerful and heartbreaking... However, I'd also like to hope that ppl will sigh and say what's the big deal, i.e.  homosexuality will not be such a taboo subject in films in that time period. 

DO hope there is never a remake.  Sometimes a classic is best left untouched. By 2035 Hollywood will start looking at successful films in the first decade of the 21rst century and wonder if BBM would be an excellent candidate for a remake.

I do worry that as society gets faster, BBM will lose some appeal as many will find it a very slow paced movie.

Brokeback Mountain was a landmark film.  The only mainstream gay film I could compare it with would be MAKING LOVE.  Sure, there have been films like THE BIRD CAGE or PHILADELPHIA, but they weren't really about same sex love or desires.  In PHILADELPHIA, his relationship with his lover was just so downplayed, so passionless.  THE BIRD CAGE, I didn't even go to see it in the theater as it rehashed every sterotype possible.

In MAKING LOVE, you have a successful doctor with a nice wife, who seems to have it all, but leaves her for a MAN! Even then, it's more of a coming out story then a gay love story.  However, given how Hollywood used to portray gays as being swishy and holding marginal jobs, MAKING LOVE was an icebreaker. Unfortunately, it was still a mediocre film and didn't garner much attn at the boxoffice. Many did watch it on HBO or SHOWTIME from what I remember.