Author Topic: Ok! Magazine is reporting that Heath is in talks to do BBM 2  (Read 26402 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Ok! Magazine is reporting that Heath is in talks to do BBM 2
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:32:01 am »
I wonder if this is true.

Heath for Brokeback Mountain 2?

Have you ever wondered what happened to Brokeback Mountain's closeted Ennis Del Mar after the heartbreaking loss of his lover Jack Twist? Wonder no more: A sequel is in the works!

Although we won't be seeing hi spal Jake Gyllenhaal, 26, Heath Ledger, 28, is currently in negotiations to reprise his role as Ennis. "It will follow the nasty process of being openly gay in 1963 Wyoming, an insider tells OK!. "Ennis will finally come out of the closet."

We hope the Ennis realizes he's in the wrong profession: He could be the cowboy from the Village People. He's got the outfit already, hasn't he?

http://www.okmagazine.com/news/view/2073
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Ok! Magazine is reporting that Heath is in talks to do BBM 2!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 11:37:16 am »
Natali, that sounds like total nonsense.   :-\

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Ok! Magazine is reporting that Heath is in talks to do BBM 2
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:44:12 am »
Isn't OK! the British or other version of The National Enquirer.. ???  Pretty sure a completely unreliable source - at least one can hope it's nonsense.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline opinionista

Re: Ok! Magazine is reporting that Heath is in talks to do BBM 2!!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 11:44:38 am »
Natali, that sounds like total nonsense.   :-\

Probably, but I thought it was worth posting the information anyway.  :D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 11:52:24 am »
OK! may unreliable, but I don't see why the idea is so nonsensical. Many of us here have read a very well written and plausible fanfic that is based on the scenario of Ennis moving on after Jack's death. We even casted it. Why wouldn't Heath be interested in BBM 2?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 11:56:37 am »
OK! may unreliable, but I don't see why the idea is so nonsensical. Many of us here have read a very well written and plausible fanfic that is based on the scenario of Ennis moving on after Jack's death. We even casted it. Why wouldn't Heath be interested in BBM 2?

L

Sure enough, Leslie.  I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't personally want to see a sequel for numerous reasons.  Sequels are notoriously bad.  And the ONLY people in whose hands I would trust it would be the original screenwriters and Ang Lee.  Since I can't see all that coming together twice in one lifetime, for me it would fall short of the sublime achieved the first time around.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 11:59:39 am »
Sequels are notoriously bad. 

Not always. The Godfather is an example of good sequels. Both are very good films.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 12:03:09 pm »
Sure enough, Leslie.  I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't personally want to see a sequel for numerous reasons.  Sequels are notoriously bad.  And the ONLY people in whose hands I would trust it would be the original screenwriters and Ang Lee.  Since I can't see all that coming together twice in one lifetime, for me it would fall short of the sublime achieved the first time around.

I see Natali just commented on the Godfather and the Godfather Part 2, which I was going to do. I also think that each of the Harry Potter movies does well on its own, as a standalone. And that's how I would envision this--not BBM2, but a new story, revolving around Ennis Del Mar and what happens in his life after Jack dies.

Annie Proulx has said she will write nothing more on BBM, but Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry have never made such a statement (to my knowledge). So maybe the original screenwriters are involved in this project, if there is a project that is!

I'm of the mind to never say never...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 12:12:18 pm »
Tell you what, I don't think I want a sequel, even from McMurty, Osana, and Lee.

I would probably not be satisfied with it, no way, no how. Why? Because I'm so set in my own mind what happens after Jack's death. I've finished the story myself.

I'm just going off my own feelings of never really being completely happy with The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi because I wasn't happy with where Lucas et al. took that story.

And here's a theoretical question: Are the successive Harry Potter movies really "sequels"? Aren't they each based on separate books? Just occcurs to me to wonder about this because Leslie mentions that they each stand well on their own. I've never seen any of them--or read any of the Potter books. They hold no interest for me.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 12:18:37 pm »
It would be  a disaster.  Can't believe Heath wouldn't want to move on with his career.  Do they even make sequels to these sort of genres, i.e. a love story being used as social commentary.  It made an excellent statement the way it ended. A sequel would take away from that.

Don't do it Ennis!  Don't do it!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 12:20:15 pm »
I cant find any stories on the Web that are separate from that OK! article - that seems to be the single source.  If there was a media leak of some sort to test the waters on the viability of a sequel, there should be more than a single media leak.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 12:23:15 pm »
It would be  a disaster.  Can't believe Heath wouldn't want to move on with his career.  Do they even make sequels to these sort of genres, i.e. a love story being used as social commentary.  It made an excellent statement the way it ended. A sequel would take away from that.

Don't do it Ennis!  Don't do it!

Yes Heath do do it!! Then we get to see Hugh Jackman in tiny denim shorts................................. *THUD*

Seriously though this is the best news I,ve heard all day. It would be WONDERFUL if Louises original fan fic was made into a movie, because that is the ONLY plausable "moving on Ennis" fanfic I have ever read. Doesn,t someone on here know Heath Ledger? Couldn,t they just point him in this direction..........maybe?  ;) :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 12:26:19 pm »
Yes Heath do do it!! Then we get to see Hugh Jackman in tiny denim shorts................................. *THUD*

A woman after my own heart...
Seriously though this is the best news I,ve heard all day. It would be WONDERFUL if Louises original fan fic was made into a movie, because that is the ONLY plausable "moving on Ennis" fanfic I have ever read. Doesn,t someone on here know Heath Ledger? Couldn,t they just point him in this direction..........maybe?  ;) :)

The only character who would have to reprise his role is Heath. In multiple sequel scenarios that I can envision, there is absolutely no reason for any other character to re-occur.

Leslie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 12:58:01 pm »
Should this thread be moved to the fanfic forum?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 01:10:31 pm »

What souxi said!

:)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 01:15:05 pm »
this is getting silly!  I just got an email from a fan reader asking if "Taking Chances" is going to be the basis for the script of the sequel!  I hardly think a sequel is underway, and it sure won't be using my story as a script after the expense Annie Proulx went to in getting the story removed from the net!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 01:19:37 pm »
The only character who would have to reprise his role is Heath. In multiple sequel scenarios that I can envision, there is absolutely no reason for any other character to re-occur.

Aw c'mon!   "Jack Twist was in his dream", as Proulx's book states.  This would require Jake to reprise his role in flashback form — in sad scenes for the pillow wetting, and full-frontal nude sex scenes for the sheet wetting.

Get to work, filmmakers!

:laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 01:22:56 pm »
this is getting silly!  I just got an email from a fan reader asking if "Taking Chances" is going to be the basis for the script of the sequel!  I hardly think a sequel is underway, and it sure won't be using my story as a script after the expense Annie Proulx went to in getting the story removed from the net!

Really?  :o

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 01:23:39 pm »
Aw c'mon!   "Jack Twist was in his dream", as Proulx's book states.  This would require Jake to reprise his role in flashback form — in sad scenes for the pillow wetting, and fully-frontal nude sex scenes for the sheet wetting.

Get to work, filmmakers!

I said the only character who would have to reprise his role is Heath. Flashback scenes with Jake are fine with me, though....  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 01:25:43 pm »
Really?  :o

yes, really.  I didn't take down my stories and rewrite them willingly, Jeff.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2007, 01:28:08 pm »
Leslie
Aw c'mon!   "Jack Twist was in his dream", as Proulx's book states.  This would require Jake to reprise his role in flashback form — in sad scenes for the pillow wetting, and full-frontal nude sex scenes for the sheet wetting.

AND Ennis loves his daughters they didn't mysteriously drop from the planet and his life.  Gotta have Jr and Jenny back.
 ;D

I'm afraid tho, sorry all you fan fiction devotee's, that I believe this to be total hogwash.  It would never work, all the other films that have sequels are not PERFECT films like Brokeback Mountain.  You don't mess with perfection unless you're a f*cking idiot.
 ;) Just sayin about movies sequels, no smear against fan fiction, it's writers or readers is intended in this comment.

OH and yes Jeff the Harry Potter stories are each based on one book from the series, all written by the same author of a piece, each one stands alone, but each tell part of the total tale.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2007, 01:40:56 pm »

yes, really.  I didn't take down my stories and rewrite them willingly, Jeff.

Somewhere I had picked up that you had taken them down and were recasting them. It was the expense to Annie Proulx part that surprised me.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 01:41:58 pm »

Dang tabloids. 
Sounds like fiction to me.   :)

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 01:42:41 pm »
AND Ennis loves his daughters they didn't mysteriously drop from the planet and his life.  Gotta have Jr and Jenny back.
 ;D

I'm afraid tho, sorry all you fan fiction devotee's, that I believe this to be total hogwash.  It would never work, all the other films that have sequels are not PERFECT films like Brokeback Mountain.  You don't mess with perfection unless you're a f*cking idiot.
 ;) Just sayin about movies sequels, no smear against fan fiction, it's writers or readers is intended in this comment.

OH and yes Jeff the Harry Potter stories are each based on one book from the series, all written by the same author of a piece, each one stands alone, but each tell part of the total tale.

Yes it WOULD work and the only reason it would is because of Louise,s original fan fic, which is a masterpiece in it,self. I,ve always said, along with Leslie that it should and deserves to made into a film. Ennis was only 42 years old when Jack died. He can,t be left to rot in that crappy old trailer for the rest of his life, he deserves a chance to find out who and what he is, and Hugh is just the man to help him. ;) ;D
I think we,ll be arguing the toss with this one for some time to come. :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 01:45:28 pm »
I'm afraid tho, sorry all you fan fiction devotee's, that I believe this to be total hogwash.  It would never work, all the other films that have sequels are not PERFECT films like Brokeback Mountain.  You don't mess with perfection unless you're a f*cking idiot.

Sorry, in my mind, Hollywood doesn't give a shit about perfection, art, or anything else so lofty and ideal. They are looking for the next big hit and the next big thing to bring in bucks. And frankly, I think they look at sites like this, and cullen, and ennisjack that continue to be active two years after the movie was released; they look at fans who raise money to publish ads in Variety and write books (I am referring to the cullen book but there are others); they look at fans who spend fortunes on auctions of BBM paraphernalia; they look at fans who buy multiple copies of the DVD to give to friends as gifts; fans who begin fundraising campaigns to put a copy of the DVD in every library in America....

They look at this and think, "Why not do a second movie? We already have a built in audience..." Does this really seem so farfetched? I don't think so.

I remember when The Godfather Part 2 was announced there was a tremendous amount of condemnation because everyone was saying that The Godfather was "perfect" (it won the Oscar for pete's sake!) and sequels are "always" bad. And guess what? GF2 won the Oscar, too, and in the minds of many critics is regarded as the better film. I tend to agree.

If the "powers that be" could put together the right package of script, director, actors, and money, I have no doubt that BBM2 would be greenlighted. I just hope that it would follow the Godfather experience and become a movie that we would all love and enjoy as much as the first one.

L

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 01:51:36 pm »
Exactly right Leslie. You only have to look at the huge success of the Harry Potter films and the Lord of the Rings to see that sequels, can and DO work..... why not with BBM? Yes the first film was a mastepiece and there is no reason why a sequel shouldn,t be either. All the sequels to Lethal Weapon were big hits too, I loved those movies.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 02:01:27 pm »
I'm truly hesitant on believing a BBM2 would be as good as the original film.. I dont think that they should tinker with perfection.  Everyone here makes a good point but I think ill still with Lucise
Dang tabloids. 
Sounds like fiction to me.   :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 02:02:42 pm »
Sorry, in my mind, Hollywood doesn't give a shit about perfection, art, or anything else so lofty and ideal.

No, Hollywood doesn't, but someone like Ang Lee does.

They are looking for the next big hit and the next big thing to bring in bucks. And frankly, I think they look at sites like this, and cullen, and ennisjack that continue to be active two years after the movie was released; they look at fans who raise money to publish ads in Variety and write books (I am referring to the cullen book but there are others); they look at fans who spend fortunes on auctions of BBM paraphernalia; they look at fans who buy multiple copies of the DVD to give to friends as gifts; fans who begin fundraising campaigns to put a copy of the DVD in every library in America....

They look at this and think, "Why not do a second movie? We already have a built in audience..." Does this really seem so farfetched? I don't think so.

I think perhaps maybe it is a bit farfetched? Maybe those of us who have done and are doing all the things you've mentioned still don't add up, in Hollywood's eyes, to a bankable demographic?

Not arguing with you, Leslie, just wonderin'. ...  :)

Gangster pics and their sequels probably have a broader demographic appeal than Brokeback Mountain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 02:14:29 pm »

I think perhaps maybe it is a bit farfetched? Maybe those of us who have done and are doing all the things you've mentioned still don't add up, in Hollywood's eyes, to a bankable demographic?

Let's see, three-quarters of the women on the planet and most (not all...I actually know two gay guys who have not seen BBM) gay men under the sun don't add up to a bankable demographic? LOL

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 02:15:27 pm »
I really think Brokeback Mountain had one of the most beautiful endings I have ever seen in a film, and I for one do not think that any sequel could do justice to the spirit of the original without reproducing the same story... but perhaps I am a little closed-minded?
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007, 02:21:23 pm »
Let's see, three-quarters of the women on the planet and most (not all...I actually know two gay guys who have not seen BBM) gay men under the sun don't add up to a bankable demographic? LOL

Not if you're of the mindset of making movies for teenage boys. ...  :P

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007, 02:24:15 pm »
Not if you're of the mindset of making movies for teenage boys. ...  :P

They are not looking to make $300 million dollars. Remember, in the US alone, BBM made $83 million at the theater. Not bad for a $14 million investment.

And in one way, you're contradicting yourself, Jeff. The Godfather was certainly not made for teenage boys. In fact, I don't think any films in that genre are designed to appeal to a teenage demographic.

L

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007, 02:34:14 pm »
They are not looking to make $300 million dollars. Remember, in the US alone, BBM made $83 million at the theater. Not bad for a $14 million investment.

And in one way, you're contradicting yourself, Jeff. The Godfather was certainly not made for teenage boys. In fact, I don't think any films in that genre are designed to appeal to a teenage demographic.

L

No, but how many years ago was The Godfather and its sequels made? I'm not even sure the comparison is valid, given the changes in the industry. It might be, but I'm not sure.

Make that three gay men. I've already established that I wouldn't see a sequel.

Scott6373

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007, 02:38:21 pm »
Raises hand for not wanting to see it, but probably would...out of some misplaced sense of obligation.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 02:39:51 pm »
Raises hand for not wanting to see it, but probably would...out of some misplaced sense of obligation.

So that's three gay men plus one maybe. ...  :laugh:

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 03:42:44 pm »
They haven't yet seen fit to release a special edition DVD (I'm talking about a real one with commentaries & deleted scenes) like other, less successful films have. That leaves me skeptical about whether they see our demographic (however large it may be) as worthy of the investment of an entire new film.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:45:26 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2007, 03:50:34 pm »
They haven't yet seen fit to release a special edition DVD (a real one with commentaries & deleted scenes) like other, less successful films have. That leaves me skeptical about whether they see our demographic (however large it may be) as worthy of the investment of an entire new film.

While I agree with you Laura, there was, in fact, a special edition DVD released. It just seems that "our" definition of "special edition" is not the same as theirs.

L

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2007, 04:18:41 pm »

I am very very skeptical....

Beautiful mind

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2007, 05:35:28 pm »
total nonsense and completely false---Theresa at HLC said she talked to someone in the production company and there are NO plans for BBM2--and Heath, I believe Heath has moved well beyond BBM and  will not be interested or even in talks even if there is.  After all the stuff He and Jake went through with interviews ect--I doubt either of them will be interested in any repeat projects.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2007, 05:43:59 pm »
nobody over at Rotten Tomatoes is giving the rumor any credence either - and usually there are at least a couple of industry insiders who drop hints from time to time about what is coming down the road.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2007, 05:44:43 pm »
Hunh.

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2007, 05:48:23 pm »
Heath is currently listed as being in the next Terry Gilliam movie it is a fantasy Christopher Plummer is also involved.
The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus is the title.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2007, 07:54:56 pm »
I was absolutely certain this sequel story was a total fabrication and hoax from the first time I heard of it. There's a long list of reasons why, but they're moot now because... (though he's hardly the most reliable source either), Perez Hilton says in his blog today that the sequel story's a lie, and that he's been directly in contact with Focus Features who denies that any sequel is in the works.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2007, 08:02:01 pm »

I got a Email today that states that Michelle Williams is planning on moving to Portland Ore...I wonder
why she is moving here...?  Odd...

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2007, 10:43:37 pm »
Well, I'm sure the story is nonsense.  I certainly hope it is.

A sequel where Ennis 'comes out' would - of course - destroy the short story ending and pretty much the setting in which Annie set her story.  A place where people don't change.

Ang took liberties with her ending, and I didn't particularly care for it.  The story was a tragedy and it's best read and kept that way.  IMO, that makes more of an impact.  A story of lives lost and hope wasted.  To make a sequel where Ennis comes out would be like 'oh, well he had it in him to come out, but it took Jack dying for it to happen.  So Jack wasted his life on Ennis and now someone else gets the benefit.'

Gag.   :-X

Making a sequel to a tragedy...hmmm, Romeo and Juliet, the Aftermath?  Young Fortinbras, Hamlett II?  The English Patient Recovers?

Nah....

yb

« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »
I agree with Leslie about a Sequel, but I'm also glad that Focus Features has denied it. 

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2007, 11:16:32 pm »

Making a sequel to a tragedy...hmmm, Romeo and Juliet, the Aftermath?  Young Fortinbras, Hamlett II?  The English Patient Recovers?

Nah....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2007, 05:58:34 am »

mmmhhhhmmmmm..

Its perfect the way it is.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2007, 06:17:36 am »
Perhaps they should rather consider making the prequel.  ;) "Brokeback, the early years".   Let us know exactly what happened with Jack the summer of -62, for instance. There could be various premonition kind of scenes/dream scenes bringing J&E together.

And no, in case anyone thinks otherwise - I don't mean that. Any prequel *or* sequel would be sacrilege in my book. But I look at that iconic image of the two of them, close-up in the dozy, it's my screen saver still, and I think of how I'd love to see the two of them looking like that again..... 

Hey, they should make a "In-the-middle-quel"!!  Delving into one specific fishing trip and everything that happend. Perferrably pre-divorce timeline, when Jack was still so sweet and hopeful. Lots of things could take place with them there up in the mountains apart from the obvious ones.... a murder mystery, an avalanche, a volcano eruption, a plague of bears....  ;D But whatever, we'd need quite a lot of scenes of the obvious events going on to get the context. Yes! this gets my vote!

mvansand76

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2007, 07:26:14 am »
mmmhhhhmmmmm..

Its perfect the way it is.

couldnt have said it better, Kelda!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2007, 07:35:10 am »

I got a Email today that states that Michelle Williams is planning on moving to Portland Ore...I wonder
why she is moving here...?  Odd...

This is from World Entertainment News Weekly:

Actress Michelle Williams is keen to make a clean break after splitting up with boyfriend Heath Ledger - she's looking to move to Portland, Oregon.

Friends claim there are too many bad memories for her in New York, where she shared a love-nest with her Brokeback Mountain co-star, and she fell for Oregon during a recent break there.

A source tells In Touch Weekly magazine, "The split with Heath was pretty devastating, and Michelle wants to start over."

Williams and her two-year-old daughter by Ledger, Matilda, recently spent time with friends in Portland, and now she's reportedly looking to create a base there.

The insider adds, "She's able to relax and unwind when she is here."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »
I really think Brokeback Mountain had one of the most beautiful endings I have ever seen in a film, and I for one do not think that any sequel could do justice to the spirit of the original without reproducing the same story... but perhaps I am a little closed-minded?

I'm with you, Daniel.  Maybe I don't have the imagination, but I don't see it working.  To me, it would be like making a Casablana II.  Do Rick and Ilse meet up in New York City after the war?  That's not a perfect example because although they're tragically parted, they are both alive.  Still, Casablanca ended the way it needed to, just as Brokeback Mountain did - it's why they are classics.  I doubt that if Brokeback Mountain had an unambiguous ending, we would be here talking about it.  That's precisely why we can internalize it and make it our own personal story - and why people are compelled to write fan fiction.

For the record, I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies, so maybe I've only seen bad sequels.  LOTR and Star Wars are trilogies, IMO, and HP books are individual also.  But I don't guess I would put anything past Hollywood.

Another thing occurs to me...I've never been a big fan of Gone With the Wind, but some people think it's a classic.  There was a sequel (a novel) that I thought was at least as good as the original.  And now I hear there's another one, Rhett, coming out.  Both of these were done with the approval of Margaret Mitchell's estate.

So, I'm arguing in circles and taking up bits and bytes...sorry. ???
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2007, 01:43:35 pm »

For the record, I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies, so maybe I've only seen bad sequels.

Off topic and tangential, but you really should see GF and GF Part 2 as part of your cinematic education. They are very, very good and I am not usually a big fan of gangster movies with violence. But these are amazingly well done character studies that focus on the people.

Skip the third one (which came out something like 20 years after part 2). It was lousy.

L

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2007, 01:46:34 pm »
They're in the netflix queue, Les - I'll move them up!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2007, 02:43:14 pm »
This is from World Entertainment News Weekly:

Actress Michelle Williams is keen to make a clean break after splitting up with boyfriend Heath Ledger - she's looking to move to Portland, Oregon.

Friends claim there are too many bad memories for her in New York, where she shared a love-nest with her Brokeback Mountain co-star, and she fell for Oregon during a recent break there.

A source tells In Touch Weekly magazine, "The split with Heath was pretty devastating, and Michelle wants to start over."

Williams and her two-year-old daughter by Ledger, Matilda, recently spent time with friends in Portland, and now she's reportedly looking to create a base there.

The insider adds, "She's able to relax and unwind when she is here."

I read this, too.  This doesn't reflect well on their breakup.  Obviously it wasn't amicable or "something we both decided was best".  It sounds messy and painful and unexpected and apparently Michelle got the short-end of the stick.  After all, you don't hear about Heath moving away from New York to get away from the memories.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2007, 08:59:37 pm »
Not always. The Godfather is an example of good sequels. Both are very good films.

Thank you for leaving out the god-awful Godfather III.  The Anna Nicole Smith School of Acting for one character from that movie, who got her role from nepotism, brought us the worst death scene in the history of moviemaking.   ::)

I also love the fact it's called "OK" magazine.  It's not good, it's not bad... it's just OK! 

I personally could imagine Hollywood greenlighting a sequel for this movie because it -was- financially successful.  But artistically (and for Hollywood, what's that?) it would be troublesome to see a sequel.  The way to determine whether this is real of not is to see if Proulx says anything about it.  I can't see Ang Lee directing a sequel either.

And if it were commercial, we'd end up with Ennis Del Mar hopping a flight to West Hollywood in some fish out of water nightmare of a movie.  "Imagine Crocodile Dundee with a gay guy who has to cope with Ras-Cal, an African-American diva drag queen performer who he ends up rooming with.  Can they survive?  Co-starring Pauly Shore as Ennis' new best friend."  I'd start slicing my wrists immediately.  :)

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2007, 08:36:50 pm »
If Heath will do BMII, I applaud him!

It would be about time!

WE, gay men, need it! Others too!!

Hugs!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2007, 01:01:34 am »
This is almost as lively as the "I'm sorry / It's alright" debate.  :D 

No, seriously, I like that everyone is discussing this and everyone has their own opinions and everyone is being respectful of that.  I'm enjoying reading both sides of the story.  Both sides have valid points.

I'm going to copy and paste in what I wrote over on TOB:

I'm all on board for this. It should be just as grueling and full of hardships as the first. Perhaps Ennis gets beaten up, bashed, etc. It wont be easy. Show the struggles, and balance out both the heartbreaking side of life gay men faced and still do face, and also maybe leave a little room for a happy ending too. But there must be both! I like the idea of some flashbacks. Maybe some flashbacks to some scenes of some fishin' trips, or the time on the mountain. Get everyone involved: Proulx, Ossana, McMurtry, Ang Lee, Prieto, Ledger, Gyllenhaal, Harbour, Hathaway, Farris, etc. Do it right.

If done right, with the same qualities as the first, the excellent writing, stunning cinematography, and direction and editing that also makes this even resonate further, this could be big. The first movie did big business at the Box Office, and that's with many folks not going to see it because they had doubts, or fear of seeing it in the theatre. Factor in all the folks this movie has touched who have since seen it on DVD or on HBO, and definitely the market is there. Make it good enough, and perhaps there will even be new folks who never saw the original, who will now because a second movie has been made... Maybe Heath'll finally get that Oscar...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2007, 10:20:05 am »
Yes, for an BMII!

What else can be in the next one?

Hugs!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2007, 01:48:17 am »
Heath is to sequel as ice storm is to hell
 Step away from the sequel!

O0

Heathen

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2007, 04:49:21 am »

And why should he?  He's likely got offers out the ying-yang. 

Dear Dr. SmellKell, I have a syntax question.  When is it "out the ying-yang," and when is it "up the ying-yang?"  I've never been sure, and would appreciate some advice.

I'll just ying "Yangled Up in Blue" til I know.

:)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2007, 05:55:21 am »
Oliver's Story

Oh yeah.  I was about 10 when Love Story came out, and I partly loved it.  I thought her rudeness to him was shocking AND cool at the same time.  I cried at the end, and can serenade you while you are eating your linguine alla vongole with all the words of the song.

But I never had any interest in seeing Preppy get involved with anyone else.  What were they thinking?  Oh yeah, right - $$$.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2007, 06:01:18 am »
Picture it. . . Sicily. . . 

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

Huh?  I'm confused.  Are you saying that Ang Lee is going to make a sequel to "The Ice Storm" starring Heath?!  Somebody call Alright!. . . I mean. . . OK! magazine!  Roux has the scoop! 

Let me lay it out for you-Heath Ledger will reprise his roll as Ennis del Mar when Hell freezes over. Maybe in 20 years I'll be ready for BbM2-

O0

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2007, 11:54:44 am »
Dear Dr. SmellKell, I have a syntax question.  When is it "out the ying-yang," and when is it "up the ying-yang?"  I've never been sure, and would appreciate some advice.

It depends on the context, whether the speaker is getting it or someone else is.  8)

A similar expression is - and I'll quote Bart Simpson on this:

"I know it's hard to believe, but this both sucks and blows."  ;D

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2007, 11:03:53 pm »
Ah SKJ, I was feelin' ya!  ;)

Heathen

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2007, 07:06:28 am »

Forgive me for being dense as usual Louise, but whilst I can understand why SN was removed, because Jenna had it published as a zine, why was yours singled out? In fact why wasn,t every single BBM fan fic ever written singled out?
So I,m guessing that AP read Taking Chances then? wow. Didn,t she like it or was it the fact that the Ennis she created wouldn,t have moved on, and would have sat in that trailer, mourning for Jack until the end. What a pessemistic outlook on life she has. :(
I guess that also means we won,t get to see Hugh in teeny denim shorts now? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

yb

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2007, 07:58:03 am »
souxi, (((hugs)))

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2007, 08:55:58 am »

I guess that also means we won,t get to see Hugh in teeny denim shorts now? waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Why not? Hugh could play Ellery in Taking Chances, with (insert name of good looking man) as Colson. Louise and I have been diligently working on finding a literary agent who would take on Taking Chances to publish as a book and once it is a best seller, Hollywood won't be far behind.

Believe!

L

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2007, 09:13:10 am »
Why not? Hugh could play Ellery in Taking Chances, with (insert name of good looking man) as Colson. Louise and I have been diligently working on finding a literary agent who would take on Taking Chances to publish as a book and once it is a best seller, Hollywood won't be far behind.

Believe!

L

oooooooooo I didn,t know that Leslie!! :o :o :o
Well I found and extreemly goodlooking man to play Colson.(David Conrad) What do ya think?

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2007, 10:31:10 am »
Silly question. If Taking  Chances gets published, will the sex have to be toned down atall? It is very graphic as we know, (not that we mind or anything) ;) but a potential publisher might. Just a thought.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2007, 10:36:09 am »
Silly question. If Taking  Chances gets published, will the sex have to be toned down atall? It is very graphic as we know, (not that we mind or anything) ;) but a potential publisher might. Just a thought.

We are actually editing it quite a bit, but only for length. The original manuscript was 153,000 words and on our first go-through, we got it down to 119,000. We've been advised that first novels by unknown authors should be 100,000 words, maximum, so that is where we are in the editing process right now. The sex is all still there, pretty much intact. We've been pitching it as an erotic novel and those tend to be quite explicit.

L

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2007, 02:49:46 pm »
Silly question. If Taking Chances gets published, will the sex have to be toned down atall? It is very graphic as we know, (not that we mind or anything) ;) but a potential publisher might. Just a thought.

The bias is alive and well unfortunately.

One of my favorite bodice-ripper but very historical writers took one of her minor characters and started a side series with him as the main character.  He's a homosexual English noble/soldier in the 18th century.

In her first short story about him, there was no sex, only hints.
Her first novella about him had a kiss and very genteel references to masturbation and fantasy about sex.
Her first full novel about him, there was one sex scene and it was fade-to-black.
And now in her 2nd novel, the sex is actually full blown, but not as descriptive.

(and you should read the complaints about it on Amazon's reader reviews, though I wonder if these critics complained as loudly - or indeed at all - about the explicit heterosexual sex in her other novels  >:(

In a way, it could be seen as literary cowardice.  In the author's bodice-ripper novels, the scenes of heterosexual sex are all but surgically described, but with gay characters, perhaps not wanting to squick her fans who might have come over to the new series to try it out, decided to be very low-key with the gay sex.

Or, giving the author credit, the hero of her bodice-ripper novels is a blunt, brash, emotive, feeling modern woman.  In her new series, the hero is an Old World gentleman, more cirumspect and less effusive due to his upbringing, social status, military ranking and sexual preference about which he must be secretive under pain of death lest he and his family be destroyed, socially, financially and personally.

I just find it ironically maddening, that novels with graphic sex - euphemistically called 'romance' novels - can be mainstream, but something similar where the sex is between members of the same sex is construed as 'erotic' and thus relegated to the not-so-respectable section of the bookstore.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2007, 06:54:21 pm »
Is David Conrad the guy from Ghost Whisperer?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2007, 07:01:57 pm »
Is David Conrad the guy from Ghost Whisperer?

Yes.

L

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2007, 10:07:16 pm »
and you are not gonna share the author or the name of the book with us??!!

jeez!

>:( >:(

Diana Gabaldon

The Outlander series is her famous best-selling bodice-ripper more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-18th-century-Scotland mega-fantasy romance novels - which I highly recommend if you like that kind of stuff.

She took her minor character Lord John Grey and made a series with him - named, prosaically enough - the Lord John series.  ;D