Author Topic: Thoughts for the day  (Read 1199545 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Thoughts for the day
« Reply #910 on: February 04, 2008, 02:55:10 pm »
And this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasnachts

Where I come from they are usually squarish in shape, and have no holes.

I dispute Wikipedia's mention of the availability Philadelphia. They are obtainable in in some sections of the city that still have a German Catholic population, but you can't find any in Center City to save your soul. In the past I've tried checking at the Pennsylvania Dutch baked-good stands at Reading Terminal Market on the Saturday just before Shrove Tuesday, but to no avail.

And this custom is far from limited to Roman Catholics. "High-church Protestants" (Lutherans and German Reformed) observe the custom, too.

I take it these Fasnachts taste good, right  ??? I suppose they do or you would not be looking for them. And what is Shrove Tuesday ??? You sure do have some odd days up there. Now I understand my father better  :laugh: I know we already made it through the Mummer's parade which by the way may be able to compete in some ways with the gay parades. Let's be happy that all people from Philadelphia are not thought of that way  :laugh:

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #911 on: February 04, 2008, 03:13:57 pm »
Monday is the most wonderful day of our lives and I am so happy I can count on it coming around every week.
You really need to put down the crack pipe.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #912 on: February 04, 2008, 03:35:49 pm »
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art8521.asp

A doughnut

Ok new question...what is turkey syrup....ewww...wow some new things everyday im seeing.

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #913 on: February 04, 2008, 03:38:28 pm »
Monday is the most wonderful day of our lives and I am so happy I can count on it coming around every week.

You sure must be in a great mood today Truman! I don't think I have ever heard anyone describe Monday in quite that manner  ;D

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #914 on: February 04, 2008, 03:41:20 pm »
       Ok new question...what is turkey syrup....ewww...wow some new things everyday im seeing.

Syrup from a turkey silly  ;D

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #915 on: February 04, 2008, 03:43:13 pm »
Syrup from a turkey silly  ;D

LOL!
Good answer!  :laugh:

'cept I think they call that blood!  :P
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Scott6373

« Reply #916 on: February 04, 2008, 03:47:01 pm »

Um...Janice...where in heaven's name did you come yup with that?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #917 on: February 04, 2008, 04:14:47 pm »
Um...Janice...where in heaven's name did you come yup with that?

On that fastnacht linc you gave.  They said eat them with regular table syrup..such as
turkey syrup???  WTF.  Thats ordinary?  not in my world.........i cant even be sure i want to
know what it is.
sis
          I am having plain ole regular grits for breakfast.  Thanks to our dear brother Truman.
That seems so simple after all this new stuff.  LOL

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #918 on: February 04, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »
Yes, it was in Jeff's post and is what you put on Fasnachts. And, well, maybe it is blood. You've heard of blood pudding, right?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #919 on: February 04, 2008, 04:46:55 pm »
You sure must be in a great mood today Truman! I don't think I have ever heard anyone describe Monday in quite that manner  ;D

I am today standing in the middle of a great river, and its name is Denial!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."