Author Topic: The First Tent scene in Slow motion  (Read 6595 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
The First Tent scene in Slow motion
« on: May 13, 2006, 07:12:45 am »
OK,   I did it.    I watched the first tent scene in slow motion (half speed).   DVD technology is great isn't it?   

OMG!     This scene is soooo much better this way.   No audio unfortunately, but way more passionate!      The part where the boys are up and facing eachother is awsome.   They are holding eachothers heads and faces.   Jack is looking longingly into Ennis's eyes.     Even when Ennis flips Jack over and takes charge, that whole scene flows much better when viewed half speed.   Soooo much more intimate.   I wish it was filmed at a slower pace for the movie now.   

David

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: The First Tent scene in Slow motion
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 10:18:42 am »
David, you never fail to put a smile on my face! If only we could slow down the motion in real life too sometimes, hunh?!
But I am still sooooo technologically challenged, I wouldn't know how to do this! Can you tell me how you do slow motion with a DVD please? I am curious now!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 11:41:35 am »
I am on viewing restriction until San Francisco so I can't go try this. But, I have rewound in slow-mo a hunnert times and, I agree, it is so much more intimate slow. You really get the detail of their hunger for each other-things that you don't have time to focus on in regular speed.

O0

Heathen

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:09:08 pm »
David, you are SO right!  One of the very first things I did when I bought my DVD was slow down the first tent scene.  I don't know much about the system I was using (my daughter's, because she has a bigger TV screen than mine!) but the slo-mo that it offered was 1/2,1/8,1/16, and 1/32--  I chose the 1/32 which is incredibly slow--  I was seeing details I'd never dreamed were there.  At regular speed the scene goes by way too quickly, but slowing it down shows the expressions on their faces--  Jack's intense desire for Ennis....  Ennis' face as his gun is gettin' ready to go off--  wow! Watching this gave me a deeper (!) appreciation for Heath and Jake's acting--  this scene shows that these actors were 'in the moment'..... they gave a hunderd percent of themselves (I fantasize they weren't acting!) when a good part of it is not even noticed at the theatrical screenings because it is so quick and dark.  And I haven't even mentioned the HANDS!  I never once was able to see the hands at the theater, but on the DVD, and slowed down.....  Oh-h-hh...!  I originally bought the widescreen, but after sfericsf told me about the benefits of this particular fullscreen, I bought that version too, and it was worth it.  Now the scene becomes so much more than a 'high altitude'  ;), it oozes with desire that seems more loving, and even tender.  The fact that some people (not any of us!) have referred to TS1 as a 'rape scene' is both laughable and sickening.  And...which one of them is the supposed victim?  Ha! As if rape victims held their attacker's faces and hands with that kind of love....   hmff.

If any of you can slow it down to that level (1/32 is all I know about it) it is well worth it.  The other scenes I viewed that way were TS2 (of course!) and the reunion kiss--  and THAT was incredible, too---  their FACES....  could make a person believe that passion was real, and not just exquisite acting by these young men.  Dang, they're good.
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline Two_mules

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 08:44:43 pm »
And I haven't even mentioned the HANDS!  I never once was able to see the hands at the theater, but on the DVD, and slowed down.....  Oh-h-hh...! 

Meryl and I watched this over and over in slo-mo. For me, too, it was the first time I'd noticed the hands, despite seeing it 9 or 10 times at the cinema. There are so many films with indifferent het scenes, where I have to suspend belief, as a viewer, as to the actors feelings for each other, but here the chemistry between Heath and Jake is explosive.

Dang, they're good.

They sure are.
Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you all your life, whom you ignored for another, who knows you by heart.
~ Derek Walcott, Love After Love

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 11:10:09 am »
YOu are so right, David, slo mo is good and so is advancing frame by frame.  Sure, it takes a while, but I'm in no hurry to have those images pass by.  I've slo mo'd and frame by framed through a lot of the moments of the movie, just to see those little facial expressions we love.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 12:18:03 pm »
Wish I weren't so technologically inept -- I can barely manage reverse and fast-forward. But I'll try to figure it out. Just stretching these way-too-abreviated scenes out a little LOOOOOOONGER is reason enough.

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 12:21:01 pm »
LOL I tried this the first time I got the DVD, well after watching the film through fully first, and it is so intimate I just love it. But also a new button I have discovered on my DVD remote since I got BBM: my wonderful 6x zoom! I swear the button has almost worn away from my remote.
My life is not complete without seeing that string of spit up close and personal.
Trust me there are alot of scenes that look even better 6x bigger, trust me.
I am sure I will aslo be using my very special half-time and 6x zoom when I get my Jarhead DVD tomorrow. I wonder what scene I will be watching close up and in slow motion....I wonder! ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 12:56:51 pm »
Wish I weren't so technologically inept -- .

So am I Katherine, but I have worked it out! Try this:
Play the film, and when you get to the scene you want in slo mo, press PAUSE and then FAST FORWARD! It will give you different speeds according to how many times you press FF. The slowest is if you press FF just once!
 Let me know if this works! Haven't had opportunity to watch yet, as I want to be on my own, but will first chance (I tried it on another film, and everyone wondered why I wanted to see the character open her fridge in slow motion!)
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 01:26:37 pm »
Ah yes, the slo-mo feature!  The unsung legendary heroes of our time (may they be showered with blessings!) are those nameless folks who brought us the remote control with all its divine attributes:  the blessed mute button, the holy fast forward and reverse, and yes, the sacred slow motion replay.  I love living in the Age of Technology.  8)  8)  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 02:02:43 pm »

Hmmm. Looks like I should finally get the thing out of the dvd-drive of my computer (no slow motion there!) and watch it properly on the television...  ;D

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Re: The First Tent scene on fullscreen!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 02:37:59 pm »
David: Jack is looking mostly at Ennis's MOUTH,. I discovered last night in the theater, and you don't mention how the fullscreen shows Jack grabbing Ennis';s wrist during the simulated sex, and then at the end, before his head collapses on the canvas, grabs the same hand with his left hand which he has brought across his body.

And I don't even HAVE slo-mo...but I do have "stop" "pause," or what have you.

Maybe you don't haver fullscreen, because evryone says wide screen is SO much better...Hee!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 06:01:04 pm »
Oh, and I love the fact that Ennis, though reticent, is not moving away from Jack. As a matter of fact, you can see his head moving closer towards Jack's. It's very subtle, but you can see it in slow motion. That's just about when Ennis says 'what're'y'doing'.. I think.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 10:31:04 pm »
I checked it out in slow-mo today!  Definitely  :o!
It is way more intimate when watched this way coz its hard to miss any of the little touches, looks between the lads, sadly no audio, but its still good!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 11:07:13 am »
This has got to be one of the funniest threads.... David you made me laugh and I didn't even watch it in Slow-Mo;  probably won't, but I'm glad you and everyone else are gettin' off on it! 

You crack me up....

Oh, there is so much need and room for laughter in life.  I have cried a lot over BBM, but not since the camp scene when Jack pretends he's riding a bull in the rodeo, falls down and Ennis says, "I think my Dad was right!" have I laughed like this...   :laugh:

Thank you!
Rayn
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 04:31:41 am by Rayn »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 11:57:40 pm »
This reminds me of that old thread here about the hand holding.  I think I'm going to go bump it.  I almost never bump things on BetterMost.  The hands really are a detail I never noticed in the theatre... only on DVD.  I want to hear more about the benefits of widescreen vs. full-screen.  I have the widescreen.  Is it worth buying the other version?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 09:50:13 pm »
Bumping for the newbies that may not have watched TS1 in Slow motion!    ;)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 03:59:22 am »
I do not have slow motion, but the fullscreen is definitely worth it. I haven't even OPENED my widescreen yet! Gotta watch the slo-mo on Sid's I guess. Er..what's funny about 2 guys making love?

I have disagreements with you slo-mo people. Jack is looking calmly into Ennis's doubtful and frightened eyes as if to say "You know why I am here. Why are you here?" When the head-grabbing becomes mutual, and Ennis is no longer fighting Jack off, Jack is looking at Ennis's mouth, which he's like to get at, and Ennis is making sure he doesn't. When Ennis turns Jack around, Jack says "Ennis,"  both questioningly and excited...you really do need the sound.

Yeah, wish I had slo-mo. I can only watch it on my Toshiba laptop; the big Sony in the livingroom shows...mud...

And just like Melineda and ellemeno say, Jack does say, distinctly and quiettly, toward the end of the sex: fuck...me.  "Why would he say that then," I asked Bob. "People say all sorts of things when they're making love," says Bob. he's so smart...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline laurel

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Heath, we'll never forget you.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 10:35:52 pm »
I'm new to Bettermost, so I'm just wandering around seeing what's here.  Figures I'd find my way very quickly to a thread about the first tent scene!  *grin*

I was interested in the discussion about wide screen vs. full screen.  I have wide screen, and it never occured to me that there would be much of a difference between them.  But I'm going out tomorrow to buy the full screen!

I've watched the first tent scene (okay, and also the second tent scene, and the reunion kiss, and.......) frame by frame, but not in slow motion.  I'm going to try slo-mo right away.

Thanks for the advice!

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.   -Annie Proulx (Icon by alighttofollow)

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 01:42:56 pm »
Nice one, David!

I've watched both TS's and the reunion in 1/8th slow-mo and my favourite absolutely has to be the reunion. The expressions on their faces when they embrace had me in tears, and as for the nuzzle... OMG!!! JG has to have one of the most expressive faces in actordom - those eyes just say everything.

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!