Author Topic: You're Favorite Horror Films  (Read 14938 times)

Scott6373

You're Favorite Horror Films
« on: October 21, 2007, 04:01:10 pm »
In the spirit of the day...cast your vote

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: You're Favorite Horror Films
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 04:07:19 pm »
I really don't like all those slash and blood and gore type horror movies. But I do like ghost stories and vampire movies. I also love the old black and white horror movies frrom the 1930's, 40's and 50's. Some of them are pretty crazy, but they are almost always good. Did you ever see the one where the mad scientist kept a woman's head alive in a pan? I forget the name of it. I think it was called The Brain or something like that. I also love the old black and white Dracula movies, and the Mummy movies too! The Werewolf movies were pretty cool as well!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 08:02:24 pm »
I picked:

Dawn Of The Dead, The Birds, Halloween, and "other" for two that are not on the list!

"Night Of The Living Dead" (1968) and "the Changeling"

David, if you like haunted house type movies, you HAVE  to see this one!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080516/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:42:00 am »
I love Rosemary's Baby, Psycho, The Haunting 1963, The Changling, Ghost Story 1981, The Innocents 1961, The Birds, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Sting's Frankenstein  and The Others .

Saw the Exorcist once in 1973 in the theater and do not want to ever see it again.  I don't even want it playing in the same house as me.  Seriously creeps me out.  But I adore the 1930's Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and all those old Hammer flicks and the old Vincent Price stuff lile House of Usher, The Telltale Heart  and The Tomb of Ligia.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Scott6373

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:52:44 am »
I loved "Aliens".  Thought it was a terrific flic.  "The Exorcist" scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it, and still makes me a little freaky today.  Couple of my other favs were TV miniseries, and yes, both Stephen King:  "Storm of the Century" & "The Stand".

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:20:13 am »
I voted for The Shining, Rosemary's Baby, Shaun of the Dead (really more of a horror comedy than a horror movie per se), Nosferatu, eine Symphone des Grauens, and, in selecting Other(s), mean to represent Dario Argento's stylish and atmospheric 1977 Suspiria, starring Jessica Harper (one of my favorite actresses).

The Shining remains an underrated classic by Stanley Kubrick, which, while not the scariest movie imaginable, is certainly eerie and an undoubted example of an intelligent work of art within the genre. Rosemary's Baby shares this keen intelligence with a dash of quirky black humor, making an unsettling and memorable film. Shaun of the Dead (again, more of a comedy to my mind than a straight-out horror film) is delightful and compulsively watchable--Simon Pegg in the titular role, along with Nick Frost, are both absolutely charming. F.W. Murnau's silent masterpiece Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens is still probably the single greatest vampire movie ever made. And Suspiria, with its splendid Neo-Art Deco sets enhanced by the director's striking late use of Technicolor, combine with a marvellous prog-rock score by Goblin to create a vivid and unforgettable movie experience.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 02:59:01 pm »
I picked:

Dawn Of The Dead, The Birds, Halloween, and "other" for two that are not on the list!

"Night Of The Living Dead" (1968) and "the Changeling"

David, if you like haunted house type movies, you HAVE  to see this one!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080516/

I don't think I've seen that movie before, Chuck. But I love George C. Scott, so I'll be looking for it! Thanks!  :D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 04:22:44 pm »
I voted for the Haunting.  One of my all time favorite films.  With an interesting lesbian subtext even.
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 04:35:28 pm »
Poltergeist definitely!

:D

Scared the shit out of me when I first saw it!

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 05:01:45 pm »
I wouldn't put it up there with my favorites, but I'd like to recommend the 1960 House of Usher, produced and directed by Roger Corman and starring Vincent Price, which I saw yesterday on Turner Classic Movies. This is an intelligent, atmospheric production which strikingly respects the sense of tragedy and irreversible doom of Edgar Allan Poe's vision. Vincent Price does what he does best, investing Roderick Usher with the air of a morbidly refined gentleman with more than a touch of madness to him, with just a hint of ham to his performance that never goes over the top. The film is distinguished by handsome art direction (replete with some striking if anachronistically expressionistic paintings), and all is shot in vivid color CinemaScope. A worthwhile entry in the horror canon. 

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 07:36:15 pm »
I like the Hammer studio productions of Dracula with Christopher Lee. There were so many.

Here are some...

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966)

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

Scars of Dracula (1970)

Dracula (1958)

I also like some more recent Japanese horror films such as THE RING and THE GRUDGE. I liked THE MUMMY and it's sequal with Brendan Fraser.  Some Vincent Price films were entertaining such as THEATER OF BLOOD.

ROSEMARY'S BABY would be my favorite on that list we could select from.

I don't go to the theater much to see scary films, but I did enjoy THE SKELEON KEY. Even liked it better when I saw it again on DVD. I also enjoyed THE OTHERS.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 10:12:56 pm »
I love both of those, CellarDweller.  There's a lot of social commentary as subtext in Night of The Living Dead.  And The Changling is a great haunted house movie.  One of the best.  Another is The Legend of Hell House

Hiya Gary!

Glad you liked my picks!  Changeling is one creepy movie.  I played it for a bunch of friends a few Halloweens  ago (they had not seen it) and they were freaked out.

David, I hope you find it, and watch it, and report back when you do!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 02:52:05 am »
I voted fer Hitchcock & the older films. Thought they was real scarey when I was beardless.

TampaTalon ^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 09:30:18 pm »
Wow, I love horror movies but not the hack and slash ones.
Ilikethe creeoy ones where you want to sleep withthe light on!

Here are some of my fav's in no particular order

The Other- Not to be confused with Nichole Kidmans "the others". This Movie was about a set of twin boys. It was bizarre!

I loved "The Legend of Hell House  with Roddy McDowell

The Salems Lot from the 70's. Still Creeps me out.

The Stand - Not really scary but a great movie.

Screams of a Winters Night - Saw this as a kid in the 70's and scared the crap out of me. Stillhave nightmares about it.

Ghost Story- Good old fashioned scary movie.

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte- More mystery than horror but a great movie.

There were many I saw as a kid that I can't remember the names of but the scenes still haunt my dreams!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 09:34:26 pm »
Someone has already mentioned The Others I think.  How about The Sixth Sense

And what about Silence of the Lambs?  Maybe it isn't exactly a horor story, but it's one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.

"It puts the lotion in the basket.  It does this whenever it's told." 

Gary

OMG---That is one scary guy--Buffalo Bill!! Yes, that is a terrifying movie, Gary. What about "Seven" -- and "CopyCat" -- both of those scared me, too!  :o

"Halloween" is my favorite of the ones listed. I love the music -- watched it last night. Creepy!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2007, 08:54:59 pm »
28 Days Later was great!  That was really scary!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2007, 09:51:23 pm »

I thought     PSYCHO  was awsome.

I thought     THE EXORCIST   was well done.  I read the book first.  Its hard for a movie to measure up.  But
                                                   this one did.

WAIT UNTIL DARK   With Audrey Hepburn was good, and she played very well off type.

ROSEMARY'S BABY.   Was very suspenseful and scary.

Beautiful mind

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 09:43:45 am »
My favourite horror film of all time is Salems Lot......scared the crap out of me. I still read the book too. Brilliant film with David Soul and James Mason as Straker.

Scott6373

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 09:45:40 am »
My favourite horror film of all time is Salems Lot......scared the crap out of me. I still read the book too. Brilliant film with David Soul and James Mason as Straker.

That is my favorite SK novel...scared the fecal matter of me, but was very dissapointed in both the TV versions of it.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 09:49:23 am »
That is my favorite SK novel...scared the fecal matter of me, but was very dissapointed in both the TV versions of it.

I have the full length version on video, 3 hours. Brilliant.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 01:18:54 pm »
I haven't seen most of these movies, at least not all the way through...Guess I'm not much of a horror fan.  Maybe I'll rent a couple of the most recommended for Halloween?  I went to see 30 Days of Night and was most unimpressed.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 01:42:46 am »
Ah that's a shame! Graham Norton interviewed Josh Hartnett the other night and said that it scared the crap out of him!

:)  I'm sorry, Susie - don't let me ruin it for you.  Josh Hartnett's performance was the high point of the whole deal for me, actually.  He does a terrific job in the role and the plot is decent.  I've been on a vampire reading binge lately, and I was disappointed that the vampires were not more three-dimensional, though.  I like complex villains.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 02:03:49 am »
I'm watching Stephen King's IT tonight and I had forgotten how well it starts out, very creepy, but then it sort of dies in the middle and the end is a total let down.

Tim Curry as Pennywise is worth the viewing though. His performance is deliciously evil .

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 03:33:25 am »
I'm watching Stephen King's IT tonight and I had forgotten how well it starts out, very creepy, but then it sort of dies in the middle and the end is a total let down.

Tim Curry as Pennywise is worth the viewing though. His performance is deliciously evil .

Ewww! Dottie! Where did you find that creepy clown face? It scares me!!  :'(

;)  ;)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 04:00:02 am »
So if I rent 3 for Halloween, what should be the top 3??

The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
What else??

I liked Bram Stoker's Dracula remake, but that was Keanu, so can't really count.  :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 04:03:46 am »
So if I rent 3 for Halloween, what should be the top 3??

The Shining
Rosemary's Baby
What else??

I liked Bram Stoker's Dracula remake, but that was Keanu, so can't really count.  :D

I would think either The Changling or the 1963 production of The Haunting.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 05:52:40 am »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 09:05:11 am »
has anyone ever seen "the Sentinal"?
That was a great movie scared the crap out of me when I was young. All those freaks wandering around.
Really wierd!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Scott6373

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 09:10:02 am »
That was a great movie scared the crap out of me when I was young. All those freaks wandering around.
Really wierd!

Yes I saw it.

Ya know I like any movie that will make me jump into the arms of a strong man...let's watch "The Sentinel"

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 09:12:51 am »
I put down Alien, The Exorcist, Nosferatu and one of my all time fave films - The Haunting (1960), which scared the bejeesus out of me the first time I saw it.

Tempted as I was to put Psycho, I'd have to go for 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' (the original, not the crappy remake) - one of the most disturbing, amoral and inventive films I've ever seen. I love it for those reasons.
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 09:15:09 am »
Yes I saw it.

Ya know I like any movie that will make me jump into the arms of a strong man...let's watch "The Sentinel"
Ok!!  ;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 12:30:49 am »
Really wierd!

I tried to watch a clip from YouTube, but I got scared and clicked off. The girl was looking around with a flashlight and the music was getting scary, so I chickened out of seeing what comes next! Spooky!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 12:57:41 am »
I'm watching Dracula 2000 on TV right now!

Scary! But that vampire is as hot as hell!  :laugh:

WHOO!!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 03:48:03 pm »
Yep, I watched DRACULA 2000 for the first time last night... I remember when they were filming it in my old neighborhood and and never checked out the finished product.  So I watched it last night.  It was different from what I expected as I thought it's a New Orleans location so it sounded like a ripoff of INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE which I DIDN'T find scary.  Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt were nice to look at though.

I liked THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT.  I got caught up in the whole cultural phenomena.  I remember seeing the trailers for it in the theater and seeing the checking out the website before it's release.  Oh, they got me as I thought it was a true story.  I even bought the comapion book that gave you more "details." 

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 04:01:26 pm »
I liked THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT.  I got caught up in the whole cultural phenomena.  I remember seeing the trailers for it in the theater and seeing the checking out the website before it's release.  Oh, they got me as I thought it was a true story.  I even bought the comapion book that gave you more "details."   

Me too kd!
I was really creeped out till I found out it wasn't real.
I was online reading the history and all that!
My computer at the time was down in the basement.!!
I was scared!  :o

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2007, 01:47:54 am »

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2007, 03:35:48 am »
I know some people hated it, but I thought The Blair Witch Project was really scary.   :)

Gary

I watched that 3 times, by myself, in the dark and I still didn,t find it scary.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 07:30:17 pm »

Bumping for Halloween!!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 07:32:26 pm »

I love this movie!  and OMG.....a young Ma Twist is in it!