Author Topic: Bizarre Superstitions  (Read 14999 times)

Susiebell

Bizarre Superstitions
« on: October 23, 2007, 06:03:36 pm »

Did you know that....
 if a candle lighted as part of a ceremony blows out, it is a sign that evil spirits are nearby!

Do you have any weird and wonderful superstitions you'd like to share with us? ......

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Bizarre Superstitions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 09:30:07 pm »
In the Mexican and possibly Spanish culture, to avert the Evil Eye on a newborn, it's tradition to let those in the gathering around the child, hold the baby at one point, so as to form a bond and take away the envy.

I'm not sure where this came from.  A co-worker - also Hispanic - was pregnant when we last had a solar eclipse.  Her relatives urged her to wear metal to 'protect' her unborn child.  She was skeptical, but like most pregnant women - not wanting to tempt Fate - she found a set of spare keys and wore them around her waist on her belt that day.

She told us this story around the water-cooler and we mentioned to her that the solar eclipse was not visible in our hemisphere and had in fact happened while we were still asleep so her superstitous precaution was tardy.

"End of the world, and you slept through it."  kidded a co-worker.  ;D ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 09:34:37 pm »
If a fork falls on the floor, company is coming, and he or she is hungry.

Or so my mother always said. ...  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 12:15:13 am »
Sparrows are said to carry the souls of the deceased to the after-life. To kill one means that you will be cursed.

Never step on board a ship with your left foot, it's bad luck.

Spilling salt is bad luck but,if both salt and pepper are spilt at the same time, the force of this ill omen is doubled.

Girls who carry a lamp to a spring of water on All Hallow's Eve can see their future husband in the reflection.

If bats come out early and fly around playfully, then it is a sign of good weather to come.

Peel an apple from top to bottom. The person with the longest unbroken peel would be assured the longest life. If you threw the apple peel over your shoulder, the initial it forms upon landing is the initial of your future mate.

If a candle flame suddenly turns blue, there's a ghost nearby

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:36:15 am »
This is a cute thread.  :D

My mother used to place acorns on the window sills during a storm to prevent the house from being struck by lightening.  :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:39:53 am »
If a clock stops, take note of the time on its face for it indicates the time of your death.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:41:26 am »
If you suddenly get a cold chill it means someone has just stepped on the piece of ground which someday will be your grave.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 12:45:54 am »
Place a broom on your porch to ward away evil spirits.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 12:48:16 am »
Opening up an umbrella while indoors will bring bad luck.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 01:03:02 am »
My mother used to place acorns on the window sills during a storm to prevent the house from being struck by lightening.  :-\

Heh.  During those really violent summer thunderstorms we get in Texas, my mother used to cover up the mirrors in the house with towels.  Not sure why.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 03:16:04 am »

Halloween Superstitions
From oldsuperstitions.com

Stuff fennel in your keyhole or hang it over your door to protect against witches.

You should walk around your home three times backwards and counterclockwise before sunset on Halloween to ward off evil spirits

If a bat flies around a house 3 times, it is a death omen.

A person born on Halloween can see and talk to spirits

In Britain, people believed that the Devil was a nut-gatherer. At Halloween, nuts were used as magic charms.

If you ring a bell on Halloween, it will scare evil spirits away

In North America, it's bad luck if a black cat crosses your path and good luck if a white cat crosses your path. In Britain and Ireland, it's the opposite.

Knocking on wood keeps bad luck away

Many people used to believe that owls swooped down to to eat the souls of the dying. If they heard an owl hooting, they would become frightened. A common remedy was thought to be, turning your pockets inside out and you would be safe

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 03:34:43 am »
    The superstition of kissing under the mistletoe

Kissing under the MistletoeThe Druids considered the mistletoe to be a sacred plant and believed it had miraculous properties which could cure illnesses, serve as an antidote against poisons, ensure fertility and protect against the ill effects of witchcraft. Moreover, whenever enemies met under the mistletoe in the forest, they had to lay down their arms and observe a truce until the next day. From this has seemingly come the ancient custom of hanging a ball of mistletoe from the ceiling and exchanging kisses under it as a sign of friendship and goodwill.

Another version, however, says that this custom, which was widespread among the Anglo-Saxons, was connected to the legend of Freya, goddess of love, beauty and fertility. According to legend, a man had to kiss any young girl who, without realizing it, found herself accidentally under a sprig of mistletoe hanging from the ceiling.  Evidently
seeming a tentative proposal of marriage.

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 07:15:06 am »

It didn't work for Mrs. Twist. The evil spirit sat at her kitchen table  :(

Scott6373

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 12:54:12 pm »

Well where else am I supposed to park it?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 01:00:14 pm »
This is a cute thread.  :D

That sounds ancient and Scandinavian. Your mother have any Scandinavian blood in her? Weren't oak trees (acorns) associated with Thor? Sounds like an offering to the god to protect the house.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 02:31:43 pm »
That sounds ancient and Scandinavian. Your mother have any Scandinavian blood in her? Weren't oak trees (acorns) associated with Thor? Sounds like an offering to the god to protect the house.

Not a drop. Mom was Lakota Sioux and French. I think in this case it must be a Native American thing, because my Grandmother did it too, and she was 100% Lakota. The Lakota side of my family is very superstitious. All of them. I am too, but I'm not sure if it's because I am part Native American, or because I'm just paranoid!  ;) :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 02:43:14 pm »
Not a drop. Mom was Lakota Sioux and French. I think in this case it must be a Native American thing, because my Grandmother did it too, and she was 100% Lakota. The Lakota side of my family is very superstitious. All of them. I am too, but I'm not sure if it's because I am part Native American, or because I'm just paranoid!  ;) :laugh:

Must be then, if your grandmother did it.

Interesting, though. It almost sounds like it could be something Celtic, too. Oaks were sacred to the Celts (think: Druids).

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 11:42:29 am »
I have  a few. Being from the rural south there were morte than a few.
I can't remember them all but Ill post them as I remember them.

If you find a button, you will as many days good luck as there are holes in the button (most have 4)
If a bird gets in the house someone is going to die.
When walking past a graveyard hold your breath or evil spirits will try and posess you.
If you find a penny on heads pick it up and put it in your right pocket If on tails throw it over your left shoulder.
if you spill salt take a pinch and throw it over your left shoulder to ward off the devil
it is bad luck to walk with one shoe on and one shoe off
when you give someone a wallet or purse it has to have money in it or they will be poor.
if you have warts, scrub them with an old dishrag and waser found in the hollow of a tree or stump. Put the rag under a rock and don't look back and your warts will go away.
Don't ever give a boyfriend or girlfriend a watch. If you do you are putting a time limit on your relationship.
If you and your boyfriend/girlfriend tie a love not in the branches of a tree and it continues to grow, you will stay together. If it comes undone so will your relationship.
If your nose itches company's coming.
If your palm itches you'll be getting some money

New Years
On new years day we have a traditional dinner of Hog Jowls, Collard greens,Blackeyed peas and cornbread.

The pork is for health ( I usually do a pork roast and use the Jowls for flavoring in the Peas and Collards)
Collards for wealth
Blackeyed peas for Luck
Cornbread for happiness/Comfort.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 06:22:32 pm »
Great list lee!  I wonder where all these weird superstitions come from ...

Susie

I don't know but it would  be interesting to know.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline ZK

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 09:12:28 pm »
Some from down under:
1) Always leave from the same door you entered
2) When visiting a cemetary always have water or a tap dripping
3) At New Years the first person to visit should bring a piece of coal with them
4) Wear clothes with circles on them at new year (supposed to ensure wealth for the forthcoming year)
5) Always eat noodles at birthdays as noodles symbolise long life
6) Never mix the knives, forks and spoons in the cutlery drawer

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 01:16:19 pm »
Some from down under:
1) Always leave from the same door you entered
2) When visiting a cemetary always have water or a tap dripping
3) At New Years the first person to visit should bring a piece of coal with them
4) Wear clothes with circles on them at new year (supposed to ensure wealth for the forthcoming year)
5) Always eat noodles at birthdays as noodles symbolise long life
6) Never mix the knives, forks and spoons in the cutlery drawer
Cool! I love hearing about other cultures!  ;D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 04:46:53 pm »
the coal one is a bit of a tradition in scotland too. although not really done now!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 12:17:37 am »
I wear a Hamsa whenever I leave the house. Including to work. I also have them in the house.

I knock wood.

I have a thing with even numbers and the TV volume always has to be set at an even number.

injest

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 01:19:29 am »
bizarre superstition or OCD??

I have to do things in exact order before going to bed. Turn off lights, turn on the hall light and look at the front door to make sure it is locked, turn off the hall light, prop the bedroom door open...not too far open...not too narrow an opening....push against the closet door to make sure it is closed (I know there is nothing in there BUT if some night that door swung open and there was something in there?? I would freak!!) I have to rattle it three times...then I get into bed. If the cat knocks the door open too far? I have to start the whole procedure over....turn on the lights...turn them back off....turn on the hall, look at the front door,

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 08:31:51 am »
I wear a Hamsa whenever I leave the house. Including to work. I also have them in the house.

I knock wood.

I have a thing with even numbers and the TV volume always has to be set at an even number.

What is a Hamsa  ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »
I have to do things in exact order before going to bed.

So do I, but that's because if I didn't, I'd forget something, like leave the living room lights on!  ;D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 02:21:18 pm »

Sorry Jess.  I know that must drive you buggy.  kiss kiss

Beautiful mind

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »
Here is a little on Hamsa. These are not the most attractive examples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamsa

Jess, I do some things too:

Even if I have not had the stove on for days, I have to check it to make sure all burners and the stove are off before I leave the house or go to bed.

I check to make sure the fridge door is securely closed before I leave the house.

I always look from the street to make sure I closed the garage door before I drive off eventhough I have to get out of the car to close the door and I know damn well I closed it!

I think a lot of people do these little things.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 02:37:44 pm »
Thanks Wishes!
That was very interesting and informative!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 04:42:23 pm »
I just read the article about Hamsas. They are beautiful. I'd love to have one.

I remember my mother telling me if your house creaks during the day it means you'll gain a new friend. If it creaks at night, you'll soon lose one.

A cat heard yowling and screeching outside at night means someone close to you will become ill.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 04:46:40 pm »
A cat heard yowling and screeching outside at night means someone close to you will become ill.

from sleep deprivation, right?  :laugh: My cat always 'needs' to go outside to the backyard between 4 and 5am like clockwork - I always grumble as I'm making my way to the door like a half-blind zombie, but I guess he has me trained!
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 04:55:50 pm »
from sleep deprivation, right?  :laugh: My cat always 'needs' to go outside to the backyard between 4 and 5am like clockwork - I always grumble as I'm making my way to the door like a half-blind zombie, but I guess he has me trained!

:laugh:  :laugh:

Yeah, I know the feeling! My cat uses a litter tray, so he torments me in the early morning when he's ready to be fed.

I'm not sure if our own cats count though. I think it only counts if you hear a stray cat outside. I hope it doesn't count, because if it does, I'm in really big trouble. Oreo screeches just about every night, and it's because the dog is busy chasing and frustrating him.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 05:24:34 pm »
:laugh:  :laugh:

Yeah, I know the feeling! My cat uses a litter tray, so he torments me in the early morning when he's ready to be fed.

I'm not sure if our own cats count though. I think it only counts if you hear a stray cat outside. I hope it doesn't count, because if it does, I'm in really big trouble. Oreo screeches just about every night, and it's because the dog is busy chasing and frustrating him.
Think about poor Truman and Crybaby!
Good Lord!  ::)

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 06:08:13 pm »
You're welcome loneleeb3.  :)

My house creeks day and night!   :-\

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 06:54:15 pm »
Interesting Wishes! - The Hasma is alike to things I saw in turkey (which I've just found out are called Nazars - see my link belwo) and are connected to the evil eye, they used to be lots of little eyes all over the place - and ones next to water to ward off evil and accidents.

http://www.guidetoturkey.com/aboutturkey/info_tips/nazar.asp

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Wishes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 11:14:34 pm »
Hi Kelda.

Yes, a lot of Hamsa do have an eye in the palm area of the hand. It and the evil eye are used throughout middle eastern culture I believe.

Anyway, I have Hamsa stickers in my windows and the creep next door hasn't thrown eggs at my house again. I figure they can't hurt and I actually feel more secure with them. And my alarm system of coarse!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 10:38:28 am »
My Mom and grandmother were adamant that they weren't superstitious, but I've heard about more superstitions from the two of them than everyone else I've ever known combined.     Just a few of them:

-- If you leave the house and go back for something you've forgotten, sit down and count to ten first.
-- Don't sing before breakfast ("or you'll cry before night")
-- Never leave a hat on the bed.

I love black-eyed peas so that's a New Year's superstition I can really embrace -- hog jowls might sound a little strange if you've haven't tried them, but they basically just taste like high-fat bacon.

On Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent begins, it's supposed to be good luck to eat pancakes. Fat Tuesday is on February 5th this year -- same day as the Super Tuesday primary election: what an excuse to stop at IHOP ["International House of Pancakes"] between getting off work and going to the polls.    :)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 10:40:05 am »
My Mom and grandmother were adamant that they weren't superstitious, but I've heard about more superstitions from the two of them than everyone else I've ever known combined.     Just a few of them:

-- If you leave the house and go back for something you've forgotten, sit down and count to ten first.
-- Don't sing before breakfast ("or you'll cry before night")
-- Never leave a hat on the bed.

I love black-eyed peas so that's a New Year's superstition I can really embrace -- hog jowls might sound a little strange if you've haven't tried them, but they basically just taste like high-fat bacon.

On Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent begins, it's supposed to be good luck to eat pancakes. Fat Tuesday is on the Super Tuesday primary election this year: what an excuse to stop at IHOP ["International House of Pancakes"] between getting off work and going to the polls.    :)

Marge!
You must be a southerner!
I look forward to New Years Day for the meal! I also Love the Collards!!  ;D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 07:30:09 pm »
Hi Kelda.

Yes, a lot of Hamsa do have an eye in the palm area of the hand. It and the evil eye are used throughout middle eastern culture I believe.

Anyway, I have Hamsa stickers in my windows and the creep next door hasn't thrown eggs at my house again. I figure they can't hurt and I actually feel more secure with them. And my alarm system of coarse!

Thats great! I know you were having trouble with him. Go Hasmas!!!!