Author Topic: Introducing you to 'Reesenhaal'  (Read 16915 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Introducing you to 'Reesenhaal'
« on: October 24, 2007, 05:33:05 pm »
From the UK tabloid The Sun...

(She's a lucky bee-yatch that one! Ryan Phillipe and then Mr Jakey!! But good luck to them.)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article379386.ece
THESE snaps of REESE WITHERSPOON and JAKE GYLLENHAAL canoodling aren’t stills from a movie.

Nope, this is for real – the glamorous Hollywood stars are an item.

The loved-up couple were enjoying a romantic weekend break in Rome.

Earlier this month, Reese divorced actor RYAN PHILLIPPE, with whom she has two kids, Ava and Deacon.

I hear Reese and Jake became close during filming for their new movie Rendition – although Reese has always denied a romantic link.

But she did say of Jake: “He is just wonderful – kind, generous and funny.”

Could they be the latest super-couple? I hereby pronounce them Reesenhaal.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

moremojo

Re: Introducing you to 'Reesenhaal'
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 05:40:15 pm »
Okay, it's official--Jake goes for the ladies. Those shots are pretty unambiguous.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 05:41:32 pm »
He goes for the pretty blond ones anyway!

Perhaps I should dye my hair... hmmm....

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:34:42 pm »
Oh, good grief, he could do much better than Reese Witherspoon.

OK, she isn't exactly a troll, and she's certainly talented, but the shape of her face reminds me of Nell Fenwick from the "Dudley Doright" cartoons.  :laugh:

And he doesn't need to take on a woman with kids. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:35:56 pm »
But Jeff, haven't you heard that love is a force of nature?  ::)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:42:45 pm »
Those photos are inconclusive.  I've had many close male friends in my life that I could easily have been photographed in those same kinds of poses with and we were not romantically involved infact a couple of them were gay.  Show me a lip lock and I'll consider it.  They've both said they are just friends and this could easily be just close friends out sight seeing.  So until I see something conclusive or they say different.  I'll continue to respect them both enough to take them at their word.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 06:44:06 pm »
But Jeff, haven't you heard that love is a force of nature?  ::)

I have also heard that it's blind.

And sometimes even deaf and mute. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 06:45:39 pm »
And I think I'd prefer Gyllenspoon. ...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 06:55:46 pm »
Oh, good grief, he could do much better than Reese Witherspoon.

OK, she isn't exactly a troll, and she's certainly talented, but the shape of her face reminds me of Nell Fenwick from the "Dudley Doright" cartoons.  :laugh:

And he doesn't need to take on a woman with kids. ...

Actually, I think she sounds like a very nice, intelligent, and talented woman. Jake has commented that he is not into the partying scene, preferring quiet evenings at home with close friends. Reese has said the same thing. Maybe they are a very good match.

And, Jeff, please..."a woman with kids" is not a curse. That really was a little insensitive.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 07:00:59 pm »
I'd rather see him with Natalie Portman.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 07:22:48 pm »
I was hoping he'd be chasin someone fresher instead of Ryan Phillipe's leftovers.  The world's most eligible bachelor (per INTERVIEW MAGAZINE) dating Reese Witherspoon???  I guess the list of datable A-list actresses is rather slim.  Hope it's good move for Jake's career. ;)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »
I was hoping he'd be chasin someone fresher instead of Ryan Phillipe's leftovers.  The world's most eligible bachelor (per INTERVIEW MAGAZINE) dating Reese Witherspoon???  I guess the list of datable A-list actresses is rather slim.  Hope it's good move for Jake's career. ;)

Whoa.

He's
been in intimate relationships before, right?  So he's someone else's "leftovers" as well.

Or do we not describe men that way -- only women?    ???

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 07:57:58 pm »
Whoa.

He's
been in intimate relationships before, right?  So he's someone else's "leftovers" as well.

Or do we not describe men that way -- only women?    ???

Thank you, Laura.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 08:00:33 pm »
What Laura said..
And what Leslie said too - "A woman with kids is not a curse..." 
Come on, people!

All the best to them two!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 09:48:45 pm »
I'd rather see him with Natalie Portman.

Me, too.  But alas, despite his attempts at courting Ms. Portman, she apparently did not respond.

I don't have much problem with Reese.  IMO she's just really white-bread boring and probably on the rebound.

As for a woman with children, there is a critique.

I think Jake needs someone whose focus is on him for once.  His love life has been rocky to non-existent, filled with alcohol-addled party starlets or dates that went nowhere.  It would be nice to see Jake with someone who really appreciates him and puts his needs and wants first as he will put hers.  As a mother, Reese's children will - rightfully - always come first in her life and any man second.

This is always a problem when dating people with children.  You will never be first in their lives.

Jake is still young enough that he can find a woman without the additional baggage of someone else's children.  Finding love is hard enough without the add-on stresses of instant families and ex-husband/fathers.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 09:55:48 pm »
And, Jeff, please..."a woman with kids" is not a curse. That really was a little insensitive.

To whom? Excuse me for livin', but I don't think he needs to take on someone else's kids. Reese Witherspoon and her kids are not my concern here.

You think Del is "insensitive," too? Frankly, I wouldn't want a boyfriend with kids for myself, for pretty much the issues Del discusses in the case of a heterosexual couple. I would just amend it to, "We would never be first in each other's lives."

At least I didn't call Reese "Ryan Phillipe's leftovers," like she was day-old fish, or something.

I just said she reminds me of Nell Fenwick.  ;D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 10:02:54 pm »
      Aww from what I have heard she had a filandering husband..She left him for messing around on her...I dont
think that should make her someones leftovers...  Lord knows they have sufficient amount of money to care for
two children.  That, has customarily been the reason for not wanting to raise someone elses kids...I dont know it
they are together or not,, but i think it is unfair to put her down because her husband was a jerk..
      I think she is to be commended for going slow here, and I commend him also for not admitting any ealrelationship until her divorce is clear.  She seems to be a very solid and stabile woman.  With most of the young
women around Goofyhood these days.  The bed hoppers and drug users, and drunken drivers.  She seems a treasure.  They don't come with children, but their baggage is much heavier..!!
...So lets let them make their own decisions..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:13:53 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 12:38:22 am »
With all due respect to everyone...
None of us can speak for Jake.
None of us are part of his relationship.
What you consider "baggage" or "leftovers" may not be his take on the situation.  Simple as that.
He is an intelligent young man with enough brains to decide for himself.

That's my last say on the matter.  8)

~L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 02:15:29 am »
Put me in the offended category too, and add "white bread" to the list of offensive terms.  I'm seeing misogyny and even some racism here.

Those of you who find the blanket idea of other people's kids being unappealing are really missing out on one of the blisses of life.  Why not love the beloved's kids?  I completely respect you knowing it's not for you, but judging it repugnant for someone else is sad.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 03:41:56 am »
Just remember folks no matter who Jake ends up with, it's not important that we see what he sees in her, it is only important that HE sees it.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 03:55:35 am »
And I think I'd prefer Gyllenspoon. ...

:laugh:

But seriously - we all know Jake is a good guy and prefers the quiet life - thats likely why he chose Reece. I think he'll make a fabby stepdad to Reece's 2 adorable kids - perhaps they'll be making babies shortly too. Look at Brad and Angiolina.

And as someone pointed out - yes rightly so Reece should be concerned for her 2 kids first and foremost - but its not like they are in a position where its going to be difficult to go out on dates - they can afford for child monders - and since they are in the public eye they probably like dates at home - which fits in to the couple with kids lifestyle.

Plus the kids have a dad already - one that is very committed and involved in his kids life - its not like she is going to be laden with all the burden of child rearing

Good luck to them both - I thinik they are both a catch for each other. And if it is a re-bound well let it be fun while it lasts!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 04:09:10 am »
Put me in the offended category too,

Me three.

Those of you who find the blanket idea of other people's kids being unappealing are really missing out on one of the blisses of life.  Why not love the beloved's kids?  I completely respect you knowing it's not for you, but judging it repugnant for someone else is sad.

Thank you (and Laura for her coment).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 10:27:17 am »
Put me in the offended category too, and add "white bread" to the list of offensive terms.  I'm seeing misogyny and even some racism here.

Oh, for God's sake, Clarissa. If you're seriously seeing misogyny, "a hatred of women," in my dislike of Reece Witherspoon--and of the idea of Reece Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal as a couple--then I'm accusing you of misanthropy for your response to my opinion.

"Racism" in the use of the term "whitebread"? Get off the PC high horse and read SKJ's comment.

Granted Jake's situation is not mine--or yours--but you would look at other people's children differently if you were a middle-aged gay male in a country where so many wrongly equate homosexuality with pedophilia. In short, kids are dangerous.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 10:56:49 am »
Oh, for God's sake, Clarissa. If you're seriously seeing misogyny, "a hatred of women," in my dislike of Reece Witherspoon--and of the idea of Reece Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal as a couple--then I'm accusing you of misanthropy for your response to my opinion.

I don't want to answer for Clarissa, she can do that better than I can. But since I've agreed with her, here's my answer:
I don't see any misogyny in your dislike of Reese Witherspoon, not at all.
But I see misogyny in the snide tone in which it is spoken of her because she's been in another relationship before ("leftovers", which wasn't by you) and in your wording of "he doesn't need to take a woman with children" and "I don't think he needs to take on someone else's kids". What are women with children? Lesser people? Only second choice?
I know that's not your opinion, but your wording was simply insensitive, as Leslie already said.

"Racism" in the use of the term "whitebread"? Get off the PC high horse and read SKJ's comment.
I excluded the whitebread comment in my first post because I'm simply not familiar enough with the term to have an opinion about it's use here.

Granted Jake's situation is not mine--or yours--but you would look at other people's children differently if you were a middle-aged gay male in a country where so many wrongly equate homosexuality with pedophilia. In short, kids are dangerous.

Well, this sounds very different from what you've said earlier (in the post where you agreed with Della).
And to be honest, I'm a bit taken aback by your last comment. Do you really have this in the back of your mind when dealing with other people's children? This must be awful.  :-\

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 11:44:00 am »
I thought they'd been baptized Gyllenspoon a long time ago by the gossip blogs. Yes, I do read a couple of those, embarrassingly enough.  :-\

But since everyone is in such a good mood already   :-X  - I thought I'd put my foot in too and weigh in on Jake's attire. I am not impressed with our man Jake for his "romantic Rome outing attire" if that's what they're doing. That grey bulgy unflattering T-shirt thingie, and chewing so throughly and distractedly on a toothpick... The fangirl in me kind of imagined that's not the casual wear the classy Jake G. would dress in for those early days of romance and first dates. So either they've actually been an item for quite some time just like the rumours say, or there's no big romance thing going on at all, no matter what the gossipers are on about and no matter an outing in Rome when they're both there to promote their film.  (I know there's another pic of them holding hands in an airport, but that could have been photoshopped easily enough.... just like those Heath&Jake pics that got a new airing over in the Jake-Jake-jake thread.)

For this I'm actually leaning towards Dottie's opinion - I don't really believe it till they confirm it themselves.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 11:50:46 am »
But I see misogyny in the snide tone in which it is spoken of her because she's been in another relationship before ("leftovers", which wasn't by you) and in your wording of "he doesn't need to take a woman with children" and "I don't think he needs to take on someone else's kids".
What are women with children? Lesser people? Only second choice?

Thank you Chrissi.   :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 12:04:36 pm »
I thought I'd put my foot in too and weigh in on Jake's attire. I am not impressed with our man Jake for his "romantic Rome outing attire" if that's what they're doing. That grey bulgy unflattering T-shirt thingie, and chewing so throughly and distractedly on a toothpick... The fangirl in me kind of imagined that's not the casual wear the classy Jake G. would dress in for those early days of romance and first dates.

:D  :D

Mikaela, your post made me smile. Let's just hope he's not taking advise from Heath on 'all things sartorial'!!  :laugh:
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 01:37:25 pm »
Frankly, I think these comments about alleged misogyny in my expressing my opinion, coming from women who have come to know me--sometimes actually in person--say far more about the women who are making these comments than they do about me. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to whom I have been insensitive, and why.

If you are going to respond to me, keep Karl's comment about "leftovers" out of it, and quote me accurately.

And to be honest, I'm a bit taken aback by your last comment. Do you really have this in the back of your mind when dealing with other people's children? This must be awful.  :-\

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Children terrify me. I don't dislike them. I'm not against them. Maybe some readers will remember that I even said I felt Ennis was right to put his children before Jack and his relationship to Jack. But I do not like to be around anybody's children, and certainly not alone with them.

While the scandal in the Roman Catholic Church teaches us that pedophilia is, indeed, something that parents and society must be continually vigilant against, it is also true that innocent lives have been ruined by groundless charges of various kinds of abuse that were ultimately proved false. Just a few years ago, a schoolteacher--a woman, I might add--from New Jersey, not too far from Philadelphia, was convicted and went to jail on charges of sexual abuse. Ultimately the charge was proved false, and her conviction was overturned, and she was freed, but her life is ruined, her good name gone, because always there will be this cloud over her.

All it takes is a word or gesture misunderstood, and you're done for. It's a little bit like being accused of witchcraft in Salem in 1692. Even when you're innocent it's almost impossible to prove it.

I'm sorry to have run on so long on something so OT, but I find I'm actually shaking as I type this--that's how strongly this affects me.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 01:51:39 pm »
I was the one who used the word insensitive, first, so I guess I need to chime in here....

I never said you were insensitive to anybody in particular, Jeff. I found your wording "He doesn't need to take on a woman with kids" to be insensitive--I guess to women with kids, in general. As I said in my original post, you make it sound like some sort of curse. Or as others have said, like she's damaged goods, used baggage or somehow a lesser person. That's what I meant.

Leslie

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 01:54:53 pm »
I'm sorry to have run on so long on something so OT, but I find I'm actually shaking as I type this--that's how strongly this affects me.

^  That's very sad, Jeff, and I'm sorry to read that.

Our society is right to deplore sexual abuse and throw the book at those who commit it.  But it's a shame that innocent adults are made so uncomfortable by the situation that they have a whole other issue to be worried about.  And children miss out on extra adult friendship because of it.

And Mikaela, honey!  I thought Jake looked studly and fabulous!   8)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 02:13:16 pm »

Jeff you are indeed a sensetive and kind person.  I understand your fears, I do.  I know you mean no one disrespect, and you should be able to speak your opinion without fear of being attacked.  I meant no disrespect for you, and I hope
you didnt think I did...I love you and dont ever want to do anything to upset or make you feel i was mean or disrespectful.
         I just wanted to say that I feel a woman with children is as good or in some cases a better choice than a virginal, woman that is cold and self obsorbed..And or a stupid air head..she seems to be none of these...In lots of cases children
are a part of the thing that makes the family...and from what i have seen Jake seems ready for a family...
         It seems to be that the issues that bring about the most heat, in conversations.  Happens to be the Jake or Heath threads.  Its very ironic to me....
         I apologize if anything i may have said upset you in any way...

I agree with Laura, I thought he looked relaxed and fine too...fine is a good word for him...

Beautiful mind

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 02:36:28 pm »
Good to hear it's only me shaking my head at Jake's grey T. I'm all for him appearing studly.  :)  Fabienne's comment made me chuckle - I suddenly imagined Jake trotting around Rome in black knee-length trousers and red&white striped socks. That would have been interesting, and people probably wouldn't even have *noticed* Reese W. beside him!  ;D

About Reese W - I admit to not having an especially good impression of her. And I admit to being entirely biased about it. It has nothing to do with kids or looks or any such things. I'm sure she's a good mother and of course a woman with kids isn't inferior in any way (nor is she superior IMO). It has everything to do with her very focused and active campaigning before the Oscars 2006 and then the IMO totally fake humility and surprised gratitude she displayed when she won. It rubbed me completely the wrong way. I wouldn't even have known about this, and I probably wouldn't much have cared, except for the contrast to the actor in leading role and Film respectively that *didn't* get the Oscars they so very richly deserved, and for which they didn't campaign nearly as much as RW as far as I could judge it. Yes, yes - totally biased, totally subjective. I admit it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 03:10:51 pm »
Frankly, I think these comments about alleged misogyny in my expressing my opinion, coming from women who have come to know me--sometimes actually in person--say far more about the women who are making these comments than they do about me. I'm still waiting for someone to explain to whom I have been insensitive, and why.

I think I did in my previous post, but for a better explanation see Leslie's post.
For the part quoted in red: that's why I wrote this:
I know that's not your opinion, ...
Jeff, I've read hundreds of posts by you and have come to meet you in person. You are a kind and gentle person and I would never think of you as someone who spreads hate (be it against women or whoever). This was not what I wanted to express, and I didn't want to attack you personally. I still think your wording I referred to (see also Leslie's post) was insensitive, but maybe mine was, too. If you feel attacked by my previous post, I apologize.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Children terrify me. I don't dislike them. I'm not against them. Maybe some readers will remember that I even said I felt Ennis was right to put his children before Jack and his relationship to Jack. But I do not like to be around anybody's children, and certainly not alone with them.

While the scandal in the Roman Catholic Church teaches us that pedophilia is, indeed, something that parents and society must be continually vigilant against, it is also true that innocent lives have been ruined by groundless charges of various kinds of abuse that were ultimately proved false. Just a few years ago, a schoolteacher--a woman, I might add--from New Jersey, not too far from Philadelphia, was convicted and went to jail on charges of sexual abuse. Ultimately the charge was proved false, and her conviction was overturned, and she was freed, but her life is ruined, her good name gone, because always there will be this cloud over her.

All it takes is a word or gesture misunderstood, and you're done for. It's a little bit like being accused of witchcraft in Salem in 1692. Even when you're innocent it's almost impossible to prove it.

No need to apologize for running OT (I will, too  ;D).
This is so sad. The fact that the equating of homosexuality with pedophilia is still so widespread, that it still affects lifes to an extent that people are extra cautious in their behaviour around children, even are terrified by them, makes me wanna scream with anger. It's so unfair and I'm really sorry to hear this.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 04:01:11 pm »
To all who wrote to explain more why they felt my comment was insensitive, thank you. Noted. I certainly never meant to imply that I felt a woman with children was "damaged goods," or anything like that, and more than that I will not say because I don't want to prolong ill feeling.

Janice and Chrissi, thank you in particular for your kind comments.

As for the other matter, I need to shut up about that, too, so I'll only further comment that it strikes me as ironic and sad that on the one hand, we hear there is a need for mentoring for gay teenagers. Then we turn around and hear about something like former Congressman Mark Foley stalking teenagers. (The nasty kernel of truth behind the equation of homosexuality and pedophilia is that there are older men who do prey on young boys.) And then I have to wonder how long it would take before some well-meaning guy who wants to help teens avoid some of the pitfalls of growing up gay gets accused of being a sexual predator?

moremojo

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 04:43:45 pm »
Yes, this is true.

Having read through these exchanges, and as your fellow gay man, I do understand your feelings on this, Jeff. And I share them--I too feel uncomfortable around children outside my family, and for the reasons that you describe. Our society is obsessed at this historical moment with pedophilia and child sexual abuse--both legitimate concerns, to be sure, but which have imbued the larger culture with the ambience of a witch-hunt mentality that you adumbrate. And gay men, I feel, rightly or wrongly, are especially vulnerable to being targeted as potential sexual predators--that association among the uneducated masses is an old one, and is still present (ironically, evidence points to most child molesters being men who target female children).

I had a gay male friend who liked children (in a purely non-threatening way, I'm saddened to have to stress), and hoped to become a father one day. I advised him some fifteen years ago to be cautious in how he interacted with children, since as a gay man his motives and actions might come under special scrutiny. Fifteen years later, my advice would not be any different.

Sorry to continue OT like this, but I felt it important to add to and support Jeff's observations here.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 04:58:39 pm »
I would like to put my two cents into the subject of pedophilia suspicions.  Off and on over a period of years (first while married, then after my divorce) I served as a license foster care provider. Part of what qualified me for licensing (and yes, there is a formal investigation for getting licensed) was my background and education as a high school teacher.  While I was serving briefly as foster mother for an abused teen, taking her to her social worker and meeting with the district attorney to prepare a case against her mother (the abuser), the mother accused me of molesting the daughter.

This, it was explained to me, is par for the course, and one of the reasons why foster care providers need to get licensed.  Because when dealing with at risk children who have been abused and removed from their homes, those who help are often accused and targeted by those who are guilty.

I would like to add that staying away from kids, and shunning opportunities to do public service, particularly for gay youth - is no solution.  There are those who will always raise suspicion, and - like Mark Foley and Larry Craig - they are the ones who are hiding their own shame and guilt about who they are, and seek to victimize others.  We should not let them.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007, 05:27:48 pm »
I'll tell you what, I'd happily have my kids party in the company of all you male bettermost residents any day.  Roll on Brokie Barbeque 2015 or soemthing when I might have some kiddies of my own to bother you with!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2007, 06:50:56 pm »
Oh for goodness' sake.  Since some of my comments have already been explained, I won't go into it again, but I will defend a comment I made.

When you are at the age where the only single people you have available to date your own age are coming off their first divorce and invariably have children, yes, these people's children are baggage.

It's not a positive thing in the dating world.  Repeating myself, if you date such a person you will always be second runner up.  If that's OK with you, go for it.  But for the rest of us, children are problematic and not desirable in a person you want to date.

And that should be OK.  We all make decisions as to who we want to date.  What qualities we accept in a person and what we don't.  It is a judgement call.  This should not be condemned, otherwise we might as well criticize anyone who happens to have a 'type' or other preferences.

We like who we like.  Nothing is going to change that.  You might as well ask Hugh Hefner to stop dating young skinny blonde women with big fake hooters and get someone his own age.

OK, the criticism may be "Well, you're missing out.  This person may be the love of your life."

I'm willing to take that risk in order to avoid having to deal with children - who may or may not like you - a parent struggling to make ends meet and may not be able to be with you as much as either of you like due to the demands from the children or whatever little morality games may be involved  ("You can't stay here all night, my kids will see you!" type shit).

This kind of thing you have to put up with if you want to be with these single parents because quite frankly, they're not your kids.  So you have no say in how they're raised or how they're disciplined or how they're treated - or, how the kids treat you!

And of course, not to mention that not every person who has children and is divorced has an amicable relationship with their exes.

Indeed, Ryan and Reese do not seem to have had a very amicable divorce.   I read this in some rag, not sure how accurate this is, but Ryan Phillippi supposedly made a BBM crack about Jake to his friends, re him dating Reese.

Ex-husband/wife jealousy.  Jeez.

You avoid these headaches by avoiding single parents as potential dating partners.

So, yes, sorry to say, for many single people, a man/woman with children is not going to be our first choice in partners.

When you get down to it, all that matters is what Jake likes and feels is good for him, but we all know that his track record is not good dating-wise.  Now he's possibly involved with a divorced woman fresh out of a long-term marriage.  When the rumors of them together first started circulating, I put forth my opinion that he may be good for Reese - self-esteem support and all - but she was likely not IMO good for him because she was likely on the rebound.  I stand by that opinion.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007, 06:53:59 pm »
I read on a celebrity blog that this whole thing is a faux-mance, cooked up because "Rendition" is tanking.

Seems plausible to me.

L

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 08:22:58 pm »
I read on a celebrity blog that this whole thing is a faux-mance, cooked up because "Rendition" is tanking.

If that happened every time a movie was tanking, we'd be way more awash in celeb couples than we already are...

You never really know who to believe, and I'm not arguing against that theory per se.  But would actors with the clout that they have really need to cave in to pressure to do that?  You'd think once they've made the film and done the press junket, it would be like, "I'm done with this project".

yb

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2007, 10:15:33 pm »

Seems plausible to me.

L

I have no opinion whether this whole thing is faux-mance or not, it might be true romance.  Considering the fact that just last week they were still denying there's a romance between them, and suddenly when the film is not well received, they are seen all over the tourists spots holding hands, hugging and kissing in front of the public is suspicious enough to warrant the speculation of why they are doing this now.  Either way it doesn't bother me, after all they are in Hollywood.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2007, 07:54:19 am »
Well, who knew that a thread about two celebrities possibly having a ro- or faux-mance would turn out to be so edifying for all involved?  :)

I'm really touched to hear where some of the participants on the thread are coming from with their comments, and reading here has helped me to realize the position of privilege I have, though not aware of it:  I get to be with kids/I want to be with kids.  It's a huge part of the pleasure of my life - they really do say the darnedest things.

And believe me, with a daughter, it's not gay men I look askance at.  And just to throw out here that one of my daughter's two babysitters since birth is a 70+ year old lesbian, who has been out since time began.  I love her, admire her, and trust her.

And if we were to have a poll, I'd vote for "Gyllenspoon."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2007, 01:29:44 am »

O0

Heathen

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2007, 05:01:23 am »
Reese and Jake at LAX on October 22

FINALLY something that indicated there maybe more going on here!

Immediately after Reese does NOT look like she's happy to have been caught in a lip lock with Jake

And Jake finally headed for his gate

NOW I still say she would not be my choice for him.  BUT it doesn't matter if I see what he see's in her, what matters is that he sees it.  I wish them well but I'm not holding my breath I don't think this is "serious"... Just my 2 cents

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2007, 05:08:10 am »
I don't know - why be surprised if your picture is taken, if you are two major movie stars kissing in LAX?

But you know, I can build a case for the handholding and even the kiss:  Like we talked about on Heath Heath Heath, Matilda is nearly always being held when paparazzi are snapping pictures.  To me this is good sense on her parents' and caregivers' parts.  In the same way, I can totally picture two friends in the same situation holding hands for support and even safety.  And lots of us kiss good friends goodbye, especially if they are getting on an airplane.  So I still don't know.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2007, 05:09:53 am »
Is that Jake's passport in his hand?  Dude, put it away out of sight!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2007, 09:18:23 am »

Nah, it's his iPhone which he uses to keep up with the goings-on at Bettermost.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2007, 09:20:44 am »

It occurred to me while looking at the pictures how it must be hell to have photographers following you around everywhere you go. 

I read on E!Online that Britney Spears has 30-50 photogs assigned to her 24/7.

As much as I can't stand Britney, I can't imagine what it must be like to have a posse of 30-50 people, with great big cameras, dogging your every foot step.

L

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2007, 11:00:57 am »
I read on E!Online that Britney Spears has 30-50 photogs assigned to her 24/7.

As much as I can't stand Britney, I can't imagine what it must be like to have a posse of 30-50 people, with great big cameras, dogging your every foot step.

L

Me neither.

Somehow that piece of information makes it a little easier for me to understand why, sometimes, some celebs lose their temper and take a swing at a photog. I'm not excusing that behavior, but I'm saying somehow I can now understand how and why it occasionally happens.

Those photogs sure don't have to trail Brit on my account. ...  ;)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2007, 11:48:16 am »

Why?  At the airport when flying out of the country every two steps someone is going to ask to see it along with your boarding pass and ticket.  I don't put mine away until I'm actually seated on a plane.  :P

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2007, 02:13:33 pm »

Seems plausible to me.

L

Another reason not to be a celebrity, who wants to be involved in a "faux-mance"?  Okay, maybe if it's with Jake or Heath, I do....

::)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2007, 06:41:10 pm »
Now I just don't get the faux-mance thing.

1) Why would anyone cook that up? Would it even particularly help a film like Rendition?

2) Why would people like Gyllenhaal & Witherspoon participate in something like that?

I mean, I could see it being done by folks like Paris Hilton or reality-show hacks -- for vehicles like From Justin to Kelly or something, but this? I just don't get it.   ???

moremojo

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2007, 07:06:36 pm »
I agree--I don't buy the 'faux-romance' angle here. It's not that it couldn't or doesn't happen at all...surely it does. It's just that I think Jake has too much integrity as a human being to conform to some studio-mandated nonsense like that. (I'm not trying to suggest that the stars of the old Hollywood days didn't necessarily have integrity, but they had far fewer choices about living their lives and keeping their jobs). Jake has struck me as a sincere, decent-hearted person for a while now (didn't really know of him before Brokeback Mountain), and it's clear from these photos that he has some sort of feeling for Reese.

Offline Nikita111

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2008, 06:20:24 am »
He goes for the pretty blond ones anyway!

Perhaps I should dye my hair... hmmm....

well, pretty maybe but not compare to his looks. he is way prettier than her and so he was with Kirsten.